Search results

1. V

Reset i2c bus

Hi all, I need some pointers. I have some sensors that communicate via i2c, connected to the wire2 bus on the teensy 4.1 (pins 24 & 25). All works great under normal conditions, but due to the nature of the application I'm using these sensors in, there is a chance the sensors are...
  2. V

wifi radio + audio noise

Hi all, Need to ask the collective wisdom here for some advice. I have a teensy 4.1, a ublox wifi radio, and audio driver/playback (based off Paul's audio shield) all occupying the same space. My version of the audio playback is pretty much exactly like Paul's (same components), only redesigned...
  3. V

uploading hex file via teensy loader

Hi all, Trying to see if I'm missing something with the teensy loader. My goal is to be able to remote into a windows machine that has a teensy 4.0 attached and update its firmware. Unfortunately pushing the button on the teensy isn't possible. I'm running the teensy loader by itself. No issues...
  4. V

schottky diode on Vin pin

Hi all, Quick question (again showing my lack of knowledge in many things electrical). I know related questions have been asked and answered many times, but I'm worried that I might be missing something. Goal: plug in usb, have it power the teensy (4.1 in this case), but NOT the rest of the...
  5. V

teensy4 + octows2811 + fastled

Hi all, Before I jump too far down this rabbit hole, wanted to ask a question of those with the brains for this. I found how to get the teensy4 and fastLED library to play nicely. And I love the idea idea of being able to define the output pins for the LEDs, but is it possible to combine the...
  6. V

high voltage input ... maybe?

Hi all, Feeling pretty noobish with this question. Clearly showing my lack of solid electronics education here :) Building a controller board for an arcade cabinet with teensy 3.2 as the brains. Controls LED's, monitors coin drops, allows clients to make settings via a buttons and a pop-up UI...
  7. V

Serial5 on teensy 4.0

Hi all, Just a quick verification that the pins are correct on the card for Serial5 on the teensy 4.0 (pins 20 and 21 for TX and RX, respectively). I'm having some issues communication via Serial5 (RX in particular) and trying to determine if it's my code (most likely), my PCB design (quite...
  8. V

access to usb pins on teensy 4.1

Hi all, Quick question/confirmation that the only access to the primary USB connection on the teensy 4.1, other than the USB micro connection, is via the 2 pads below (D+ & D-) below the USB micro connector? The teensy will be mounted to a PCB inside a case and looking to "extend" the USB...
  9. V

multiple current sensors advice needed

Hi all, Need some advice from people much smarter than me in the ways of the electricity. Quick overview: a Teensy 4.1 is at the center of a new prototype I'm working on, essentially a networked lighting fixture. The fixture has 8 outputs powered by an external 48V power source. I wanted to be...
  10. V

amplifying/extending ws2812 digital signal?

Hi all, Need some advice, and curious if it's even feasible. I'm working on a project with a t3.2 at the center, using the fastLED library to drive a bunch of ws2812 LED's. No issues controlling the LEDs as needed via the Teensy. I believe my issues are electrical. I have 8 "clusters" of LEDs...
  11. V

prevent RGB led from lighting up on boot up

Hi all, Need some circuitry advice. I'm using a PicoBuck LED driver to drive a 3W RGB led. PWM output via pins 21,22,& 23 on a T3.2. LED is powered by external 12V source with shared ground with the teensy (separate source for powering the teensy and other elements on the PCB). PWM control works...
  12. V

OctoWS2811 Adaptor dimensions

Hi all, Making a quick carrier board that incorporates the OctoWS2811 Adaptor (https://www.pjrc.com/store/octo28_adaptor.html). Can anyone pass along the dimensions of the board? I can derive the rest from that. Thank you! David
  13. V

eagle part for microSD

Has anyone created an eagle part for Paul's microSD adapter? (https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/sd_adaptor.html). Thanks, David
  14. V

byte header for message packet

Hi all, I need some advice...again :) I'm doing a bunch of data processing on a t3 and then passing that along to a CPU via bluetooth or USB. The packet is a fixed length (50 bytes), and consists of: header (1 byte) sub-header (1 byte) 9 floats (each float represented by 4 bytes) (these are...
  15. V

parallel processing on a t3.1?

I'm showing my ignorance here, but need to ask. In my main loop I have a lot of time-sensitive processing going on. It needs to do its thing (reading and processing a lot of incoming sensor data and can't be interrupted). However, at the same time I need to be listening to one of the serial...
  16. V

save and upload HEX file on mac

Question about HEX files. I have an update to a sketch (via arduino) that I need to pass along to a client, however I don't want the client to have access to the sketch. A little bit of sleuthing and I found buried deep inside the /private folder (I'm on a Mac, btw) the .hex file for the...
  17. V

How best to parse / format incoming stream of data

This question has been on my mind for...years? And now I'm finally sitting down to try to figure this out. Let's say I have an array of numbers coming in from a PC to a teensy. Each number is a byte which will eventually control the intensity of a bunch of RGB LEDs. I'm reading these raw bytes...
  18. V

EEPROM read and write speeds

Hi all, Just want to make sure these numbers looked right. I'm testing read and write speeds to the EEPROM of the Teensy 3 and here are the numbers I'm seeing: reading 100 byte array ~= 93 microseconds writing 100 byte array ~= 118 microseconds reading 2 bytes, doing some quick processing...
  19. V

teensy 3 powering another teensy 3 + sensor

Hi all, Just a sanity check here. I have a project using 2 t3's. Only one needs to be connected to a usb port...the other has some sensor processing off-loaded to it. Set up: t3#1 : only has external rs485 chip attached (~2mA) t3#2 : currently has a ~51mA sensor board attached (t3 providing...
  20. V

interrupt based on serial input

I need some advice / pointers in dealing with interrupts when a particular value comes in one of the serial ports. Quick overview: I have lots of sensor data coming in via Serial1. ~100 bytes @ 921600 baud @100Hz. Takes about 1.3ms to read that data. Then LOTS of data processing to produce some...
  21. V

Having different versions of Arduino/Teensyduino on the same computer

Long story, but am finding that for a project I'm working on I need to revert to teensyduino 1.16. Nothing wrong with the current version, just that an old change we made to the Serial2.c library to allow for 9-bit serial (before Paul added the functionality!) isn't compiling under the latest...
  22. V

when variables go bad?

Not a bug, just a "what the...?" ...and really just curious if anyone else had seen anything like this. So I have a sketch that I've been essentially editing for several months. Suddenly tonight I noticed something wasn't triggering that should have (and has since the first version of the...
  23. V

Max to octoWS8211

Hi all, While cleaning up some code to help with an artnet to octoWS2811 connection, I cleaned up a simple Max patch and sketch for control of the WS2811 RGB LED's in max via Paul's lovely library. Here's the sketch: /* OctoWS2811 Library - Basic RGB LED Test Required Connections...
  24. V

RFM69W (RFM69HW) transceiver + T3

Hi all, I was curious if anyone had tried the HopeRF's RFM69W radios with the T3? Seems like a promising upgrade to their older radios (more output power, Tx/Rx buffer, etc. and still cheap). Plus it helps satisfy my desire to get out of the uber-crowded 2.4gz band for a little T3 peer-to-peer...
  25. V

connecting lots of T3's: rs485? udp? fairy dust?

Hi all, Need some advice. I have a project I've been working on that will eventually require at least 32 T3's to be connected to a single CPU for some collective processing. Although each T3 works independently, together they work as part of one "show". There's 2 way communication between each...
  26. V

help with interrupts on t3

Hi all, Interrupts have always been one of those things I wished I paid more attention to, and looks like I have a project where I need a bit of guidance. Quick run down...reading a ~120 byte ascii stream on Serial1 @961200 baud. After reading the data the micro does a bit of processing of the...
  27. V

serial 9-bit on the t3

Hi all, I've been asked if it's possible to communicate using a 9-bit serial protocol. Did a bit of searching and looks like some changes were made recently to the main Serial.begin() function to allow custom serial communication beyond baud rate, however a 9-bit option wasn't added (although...
  28. V

rx1, rx2, rx3 input causing teensy3 to reprogram

I'm scratching my head on this. I have an orientation sensor that I currently have streaming data every 100ms (mainly for testing at this point). Sensor is powered by its own 3v3 power supply. t3 powered by usb cable connected to cpu. I have a jumper connecting grounds. Tx out of the sensor...
  29. V

delayMicroseconds & Serial.read

Hi all, I try to avoid having any delays in my code so it doesn't lock up the micro, but for this one case it's WAAAY less painful to add a 50us delay in the code than determine some elapsed time interval. I've also never fully understood serial buffers, but do know that "long" delays and...
  30. V

small ethernet module + teensy 3

Hi, Just checking to make sure this: http://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_libs_Ethernet.html ...minus the teensy-to-wiznet adapter kit (assuming the pins aren't compatible with the teensy3) will work with the teensy 3. OR...if anyone had any suggestions for a similar, small, ethernet module to use...
  31. V

nordic radio + tlc5940 + t2/t3 = possible?

Hi all, Need some pointers, or at least an acknowledgment that what I'm trying to do isn't possible. I'm currently developing this on the t2 to make sure everything works as expected before I port everything to the t3 (or perhaps everything works swimmingly on the t2 and won't need to port to...
  32. V

Forum search

Not sure if this is something that's configurable, but seems the forum search doesn't allow for "short" search terms, such as "led" or "spi" or 'i2c". Any chance that can be adjusted? easy enough to do it through google, but nice if we could search via the forum search as well. Thanks, David
  33. V

t3 uart pins

Couple questions on the uart pins for the t3: 1. how do we read/write from/to the pins? e.g. uart1.read, uart2.read, etc. (or serial1.read, serial2.read, etc.) 2. any chance that with t3's new faster chip comes some higher baud rates? i.e. what is the maximum baud rate for communicating on the...
  34. V

GND vs. AGND

Hi all, Im curious what the difference is between the regular ground pin (GND) and the analog ground pin (AGND), and under what conditions would you use each? Any pointers? Thanks, David
  35. V

new teensy 3 commands

Hi all, Been a huge fan of the teensy 2. Came to the website last week to order more and couldn't believe all the excitement I was missing for the new teensy 3. Now the proud owner of a handful of these and am ready to get to work! However I'm feeling a bit in the dark. I've been reading all I...
Back