Search results

1. Davidelvig

Synth - Starting out - emphasis on Expressive

Thanks for this starting place, everyone! I'm going to open new threads on particular topics introduced here. Next, is getting the simplest of breath-control-to-filter-cutoff patches rolling. I'll be trying to mimic what is done in Korg's MonoPoly with the simplest of modifications on a sawtooth...
  2. Davidelvig

SD Card generate filename from date

Due to a bug in my code, I accidentally created a file with 8.8.3 length (filename.mid.mid) and was surprised that it worked. I'm using the latest Teensy code for the SD library. It looks like the 8.3 limitation is gone. I'm seeing references on the web where SD fat has a 256 character limit...
  3. Davidelvig

Great stuff... I have a basic synth driven by my wind controller. The code is below, and I have these symptoms that I expect are simple to address and best addressed early. with low expression levels, I'm hearing the steps with level changes. I expect I need a non-linear mapping of the 128...
  4. Davidelvig

Right you are. Thanks for that! I don't yet grok the AudioSynthWaveFormModulated, but I'll try that as an option as well.
  5. Davidelvig

I've incorporated as much as I can of the feedback above. Here's the next draft. Am I getting it? Any comments/improvements?
  6. Davidelvig

After some search, I found that I could specify a teensy platform version in PlatformIO in PlatformIO.ini file, in the [env] section I changed: platform = teensy to: platform = teensy@^5.0.0 A number of installations automatically occurred in VS Code, and after that, my patchCord1.connect()...
  7. Davidelvig

With this simple setup: AudioInputI2S i2sInput; AudioMixer4 mixerLeft; AudioMixer4 mixerRight; AudioConnection patchCord1(i2sInput, 0, mixerLeft, 0); I see these options for my AudioConnection patchCord1 in VS Code. connect() accepts no...
  8. Davidelvig

So very helpful, all! I’ll digest this a post an update. Thanks!
  9. Davidelvig

There are so many examples of synths in this forum! I'm browsing with gratitude and bewilderment. I've built some simple sketches with the GUI tool to good effect. Now I'd like to build a good sounding one as a first synth for a wind controller. I can build a great sounding synth in MonoPoly...
  10. Davidelvig

Need to connect VUSB to Teensy?

I am hoping I was misguided in the past. I currently have this schematic routing a Teensy 4.1 to my own board. I cut the VUSB to VIN connection on the Teensy before mounting to my board. As I look again, I don't think I need to connect VUSB between the USB C jack and the Teensy. Since all...
  11. Davidelvig

Connecting the Teensy 4.1 USB data lines to a host PCB

Yes, though with some caveats. I have three short pogo pins right under D+, D-, and the same pin under the Teensy's VUSB. I use these from LCSC through JLCPCB (if that alphabet soup makes sense.) JLCPCB complains about the holes in my board under the pogo pins (which require none), but I'm...
  12. Davidelvig

SGTL5000 Microphone Input - How long can the conductors be between mic and board?

Thanks, @PaulS and @MarkT! I'll need to locate some smaller quantity or more local providers. In one case, shipping is $50 and the other, 30 meter minimum order and unknown shipping. But the specs will let me find something locally.
  13. Davidelvig

SGTL5000 Microphone Input - How long can the conductors be between mic and board?

Got it. Thank you, both I’ll plan on a shielded option. I am pretty new to this area. Is this a wire mesh (GND) around an internal single wire (MIC)? Conceptually it seems like a coax cable line. I imagine there’s a standard for this type of thing that’s much smaller. Any guidance? Thanks.
  14. Davidelvig

I'd like to connect a simple Electret Condenser Microphone to the MIC inputs of the SGTL5000. How long can my leads be? The pins are up to 10" away from where I want a microphone.
  15. Davidelvig

[Moved] SGTL5000 Microphone Input - length of conductors between mic and board

I'd like to connect a Electret Condenser Microphone to the MIC inputs of the SGTL5000. How long can my leads be? The pins are up to 10" away from where I want a microphone. I moved this to Project Guidance
  16. Davidelvig

EWI mouthpiece with breath and bite (lip pressure) sensors

Hey, @arion_s, I'd love to swap stories. I've built a trumpet-like wind controller and I'd like to learn your experiences on the sax-like EWI controller. PM me here if you'd like to chat.
  17. Davidelvig

Increasing buffer size for Teensy 4.1

Thanks so much! The trouble I was having makes perfect sense now. And the solution is behaving well. I do have short bursts, transferring a file.
  18. Davidelvig

Increasing buffer size for Teensy 4.1

Necro-posting, because I am so grateful! I've been struggling with a mysterious data transfer issue that had to do with wrapping the Serial7 port in a MIDI object (Arduino MIDI library). It turns out that the MIDI acquisition slowed things down enough to cause failures. I added two lines from...
  19. Davidelvig

Short Clearance Teensy 4.1 mounting

I found this post in the forum and it's helpful, but not conclusive in my case. I'm now mounting a "Teensy 4.1 Pins" to my daughterboard as pictured I'd like to use pluggable sockets instead (to allow testing a daughterboard without soldering a Teensy). AND I'd like the lowest top-side...
  20. Davidelvig

Headphone vs Lineout - and grounding issue and change to touchRead()

Very helpful answers! Thanks so much!
  21. Davidelvig

Adding MTP to a Teensy 4.1 project (and 3.2) that is already SERIAL + MIDI

I'm working in VS Code generally. Where might I find the proper copies of usb_desc.h and possibly usb_desc.c to peruse? (or within Arduino IDE for that matter)
  22. Davidelvig

So, my mission now is to explore getting Serial+MIDI+MTP(Very Beta) working for a serial port type. I'd welcome collaborators on this... particularly those smarter than I.
  23. Davidelvig

Android File Transfer worked after a reboot! This offers some real possibilities! Thanks, all! and using the Example_3_simple_SD.ino example from the MTP_Teensy library
  24. Davidelvig

Both you and Google are my friend! The first google hit for "MTP for Mac" is productive. Searching "MTP for SWIFT" is less productive (more depressing?) I did find this alleged solution at Android.com, though it and "CommanderOne" did not see the drive. Thanks
  25. Davidelvig

Thanks, @AndyA! I'll ping @KurtE and @WMXZ (or maybe I've just pinged them by mentioning them)
  26. Davidelvig

Got it. It does indeed match the root directory of the Teensy-mounted SD card. It does work on Windows, but not the Mac. Hmmm
  27. Davidelvig

Thanks, @AndyA On further attempts, I noted that Arduino was not seeing a Serial port for terminal output. A reset of the selected Teensy allowed me to see this output from setup() MTP_test SDIO Storage 0 254 sdio 0 0 SD Storage 1 10 sd1 failed or missing **** dir of sd[0] **** LOGS/ midi/...
  28. Davidelvig

Yes.. and I’m using the Arduino IDE
  29. Davidelvig

Is this possible? I've tried the MTP examples after downloading from each of these : https://github.com/KurtE/MTP_Teensy https://github.com/WMXZ-EU/MTP_t4 I'm doing this on a Teensy 4.1 board... and not yet seeing a new USB connected drive on my MacBook, so two questions: How can I best get...
  30. Davidelvig

Headphone vs Lineout - and grounding issue and change to touchRead()

I am using the Teensy 3.2 with a VS1053 synth chip from VLSI.fi. It has only a "headphone out" (no line out) and it has R, L and "GBUF" - and GBUF "should not be connected to other grounds" based on the VS1053 documentation. I'm using the Teensy 3.2's touch pins and touchRead() to detect finger...
  31. Davidelvig

Audio transfer line from External device to Teensy 4.0 to Headphones

The audio adaptor is great! It encapsulates so much of the audio IO stuff, that you just need to think about the signal processing on the Teensy.
  32. Davidelvig

Time compilation for setting clock

@defragster, When I flash the board in the Arduino IDE, it sets the time to essentially now (?build time) Not when flashing in PlatformIO Here are the last lines of a verbose output after build and upload in PlatformIO Do I need to adjust the CURRENT line above to use teensy-cli? and maybe...
  33. Davidelvig

I'll review my code. Thanks for this guidance, @BriComp !
  34. Davidelvig

I'm struggling to craft a search string for this, so please forgive if this has been answered. For a new Teensy (4.1 in my case - and 3.2 until recently) that has not has an RTC connected or powered, I'll like to detect that the clock is not set with a call to timeStatus() in timeLib.h. If not...
  35. Davidelvig

Timelib.h and Daylight saving Time

I'm re-designing moving from Teensy 3.2 to Teensy 4.1 timeline.h defines a tmElements structure that has no "time zone" or "time zone offset" that I can see. The solution depends on several things: - discovering the time - from an external source or via manual entry (or from compiling... see...
  36. Davidelvig

Beware! T4x RTC power consumption

I'm listening but this is part of the discussion above my pay grade. Because of the current draw, I re-implemented an older circuit of mine for Push On - Hold Off, and am now using a separate RTC as noted earlier in this thread. I'd like to use the onOff and RTC of the Teensy, but the power...
  37. Davidelvig

Teensy 4.1 and multiple MIDI IO (as a device in each case)

Working now with 3 MIDI outputs employing different baud rates. (usbMIDI and Serial7 proven now. Serial2 does not cause errors, but needs proof of transmission) /* Example using 3 ways to access Serial MIDI - usbMIDI - Two HardwareSerial MIDI ports, one with a custom baud rate */ #include...
  38. Davidelvig

It's not clear from the MIDI documentation how to set a baud rate that is port specific. I see the example CustomBaudRate here that seems to set a default baud rate - but I'm not seeing how to do that differentially per port, so that: MIDI_CREATE_INSTANCE(HardwareSerial, Serial2, MIDI2); //...
  39. Davidelvig

With that clue, yes, I guess it should be. I'm trying to put together several routes: One using class-compliant USB MIDI - which should use "USB MIDI" library: - usbMIDI.sendNoteOn(), and two other routes over HardwareSerial which will use something around "MIDI" library: -...
  40. Davidelvig

I have a MIDI Wind Controller that sends MIDI in up to 3 directions: USB (I have been using the usbMIDI object) Serial7 (sending to a BLE module, rather manually through Serial7.write(). I need to add message receipt. It's presently wired for 100000baud) Serial2 (sending only, to a Synth chip...
  41. Davidelvig

Really helpful! Thanks!
  42. Davidelvig

@BriComp, I reviewed that data sheet (whew!) I think the only I2C commands I need to figure out are: - how to set and read the unix time - disable the CLKOUT Diagram 7.2 looks like a coin cell method to maintain RTC Diagram 7.3 if ( want to investigate a rechargeable coin cell replacement)...
  43. Davidelvig

This is all great stuff! For my current go-around, I’m using the Teensy4.1 for all it’s worth (including rtc and push-button on-off) and I’ve switched to a CR 2450 battery to extend the inevitable battery drain on VBAT. And I’m considering how to make in-the-field battery changes easier. Next...
  44. Davidelvig

On/Off Pin on Teensy 4.1

Thanks. I'm hesitating a bit at the price. I'm going to search for, and or start a new thread specifically on RTC and battery life. I have taken this thread too far from its title.
  45. Davidelvig

On/Off Pin on Teensy 4.1

Sorry, this RTC on JLCPCB, the NXP PCF8563T with data sheet here As it happens, a "Basic" part on JLCPCB
  46. Davidelvig

On/Off Pin on Teensy 4.1

Thanks, @BriComp! That looks like it is fully stand-alone - i.e. with an embedded crystal. Is that your read? It would work with a just few R's and C's? I've been perusing JLCPCB/parts and found this, though I think, while cheaper ($0.46) it requires a separate crystal. ... all the while...
  47. Davidelvig

On/Off Pin on Teensy 4.1

One more clarification/question before I consider enclosure redesign and battery selection: - is it possible to get lower VBAT drain in any way and still get RTC? - can I de-power the T41 board without using the OnOff function and achieve that? (I don't have a way to measure uAmp currents)
  48. Davidelvig

On/Off Pin on Teensy 4.1

OK, with this and another thread, my conclusions are: - the OnOff pin on the Teensy 4.1 is really cool! It allows me to eliminate a similar circuit from my daughterboard to provide push-button on-off. - the function comes, not surprisingly, at a power cost (20-30 uA), drawing from the VBAT when...
  49. Davidelvig

That's helpful. Thanks! I think I need to account for battery replacement in the field
Back