Thread: Any Chance of a Teensy ++ 3.1?

Any Chance of a Teensy ++ 3.1?

I was wondering if you had any plans to make an expanded pin-count version of the Teensy 3.1, in the same vein as the Teensy++ 2.0.

I've got a project that's been back-burnered for a while that'll involve replacing a DIP-40 chip in an existing device with something more modern and programmable. (Specifically, replacing the controller in an old IBM Model-M keyboard)

The Teensy++ 2.0 is near-ideal for the application, but the MK20DX256 on the 3.1 is so much sexier.

Over at tindie.com, Tall Dog LLC has two break-out boards that give you access to the pins under the Teensy 3.0 (and now 3.1):

I have both, but I need to improve my soldering skills before I tackle these. The mini-breakout is the same width as the Teensy, and the mark 2 breakout is 0.1" wider on each side. You will need some additional headers for the mini-breakout (see the comments section for the mini-breakout).

Obviously, it would be more convenient if Paul offered a Teensy 3.1++.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMeissner View Post
    Obviously, it would be more convenient if Paul offered a Teensy 3.1++.
    I've actually been working on Teensy++ 3.X. It's too early to discuss the details, but I can assure you, I am indeed working on a Teensy++ 3.1 and I'm pretty sure you'll like it.

Could you take into consideration additional room for the 32kHz crystal?
    I was so bummed when I realized the crystals I have won't fit on the Teensy3.

All ones I have are 8.2mm or 0.320 in length and 2.9mm or .115in in diameter.
    The ones on the DS1307 i2c modules I have also use that same sized crystal.
    Maybe that size is more common than the 6mm citizen crystal needed for Teensy3?

--- bill

I'm considering a LOT of things for future products, but I can't comment at this time.

Nice, France (I'm British though, not French)
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulStoffregen View Post
    I've actually been working on Teensy++ 3.X. It's too early to discuss the details, but I can assure you, I am indeed working on a Teensy++ 3.1 and I'm pretty sure you'll like it.
    I'm aware that Paul will not be able to comment, but here is my speculation. Paul has said before that he is working on a new product, and is unable to discuss the details because it uses an unreleased chip (so presumably, it is under NDA). The chip used in the Teensy 3.1`is 72MHz and has two ADCs; there was an announcement of K20 72Mhz chips with 2 ADC on Nov 15, 2011 with full production scheduled for Q2 2012. Thus, the Teensy 3.1 is not the new upcoming very powerful product with an as yet unreleased chip. (Its a very nice mid-life upgrade for Teensy 3.0, to be sure).
    Just my speculation of course.

I would really LOVE to see accessible JTAG Pins.

On the other hand, I was thinking about other debug options, maybe running the OneWire protocol (or something similar) on the PROG line to send commands to the Mini54 that would then forward them to the JTAG port on the Kinetis. This would be a simple firmware-update. Actually, a SECOND Teensy could be used to translate JTAG debug commands from GDB into this OneWire protocol... Anyone knows if the speed of 15.4 kbit/s (standard mode) or 125 kbit/s (overdrive mode) of OneWire imposes any serious restriction for JTAG debugging?

Paul, I know that you consider the Mini54 firmware proprietary, but do you see a chance for this?
    Last edited by jbliesener; 12-16-2013 at 01:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulStoffregen View Post
    I can haz details nao? KTHXBAI!