Update Teensy remotely without using the pushbutton

Steve01

Is there a way to update the Teensy without pushing the onboard button? I want to be able to remote in to my PC and update the code.

Thank you in advance,
Steve

Without using the IDE?
There is a command line mode for Teensy.exe which is the downloader. I recall that it is documented only for MAC OS though. Surely the API or cmd line params are straightforward on Windows and Linux too.

Thank your stevech for your response.
I am planning on remoting in to a PC so I can use the IDE but I was wondering how to get the Teensy into "HalfKay bootloader" mode. Since I can't push the onboard button, does the command line allow you to enter Halfkay?

I need to solve the same problem.
As I read in the text about the teensy loader command line mode it is recommended to use a second teensy to solve this problem. :eek:
However connecting teensy 3.1 without (!) touching the button an upload command from the ide does program the chip. This means that there is a way to update the firmware without pushing the button. Right?

I did some testing.
Open teensy loader (teensy.exe) first, load a hex file and then call teensy_reboot.exe. It works! The chip is programmed without touching the button.
The funny thing is that the teensy loader does not allow to use the commands "Programm" or "Reboot", even if I disable automatic mode.

So it seems that my problem is solved. I can email the two exe files bundled with my new hex to my customer and ready. Now before relying on this mechanism some info on the topic would be fine.

Last edited:
Hi Eduardo
I too have been researching this as I have the same requirements. Have you found this method to be reliable? Is there a better way maybe using CLI.
thanks
John

Back