Cat6 is wired opposite? OctoWs2811 wiring

Flinch

Heya...

First of all, many many many thanks to Paul and all contributors, making this so accessible, both in required skills and cost, much kudos =)

Interesting, I found my lights not working at all, after shortening the cable and having it work without the 74HCT245 shield, I checked my cat6 wiring and found all the full coloured wires were joined to ground, when the pictures and documentation say the opposite. Im in Australia but I assumed they were standard?

Also, Im planning an installation which using an abstract arrangment of the strips, probably 2,000 - 3,000, but I still want even fades accross it ect.... From the basics I know, it'd be assigning each pixel an x,y co-ord in a lookup table... but I'll make a new post if once I find out/figure out/run out of hair to pull out.

I checked my cat6 wiring and found all the full coloured wires were joined to ground, when the pictures and documentation say the opposite. Im in Australia but I assumed they were standard?

I thought they were standard too. Maybe not? Or maybe that's just a cable not following the standard?

Also, Im planning an installation which using an abstract arrangment of the strips, probably 2,000 - 3,000, but I still want even fades accross it ect.... From the basics I know, it'd be assigning each pixel an x,y co-ord in a lookup table... but I'll make a new post if once I find out/figure out/run out of hair to pull out.

Here's some code I recently wrote to compute the index based on x & y coordinates.

I'm considering added a setPixel() function in version 1.2 that allows x & y instead of merely index, probably using this code internally.

Code:
uint32_t matrix_width = 60;
uint32_t matrix_height = 32;
uint32_t matrix_layout = 1;

uint32_t xy(uint32_t x, uint32_t y)
{
  int index;

index = y * matrix_width;

// rows left to right, then right to left
    uint32_t offset = y % (matrix_height / 8);
    if (!(offset & 1)) {
      // left to right row
      index += x;
    } else {
      // right to left row 
      index += matrix_width - 1 - x;
    }
  return index;

}

I'll let you know if the new cables I get are the same.

Looking forward to testing out the new code, I'll make a project report once I get some headway =)

Cheers

Back