Teensyduino compatibility with arduino-1.5.4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nilz

Hi,
when will the Teensyduino Installer be compatible with arduino-1.5.4 or is there a workaround I don´t know ?
cya,
Nilz

Arduino 1.5.x (the latest is 1.5.6 at the time of writing) is still in beta. It is therefore not stable code; it has already changed significantly. Creating a teensyduino updater (which modifies the binary version of many files) is therefore problematic.

All the Teensy boards (2, ++2, 3.0, 3.1) use the stable released Arduino version (currently 1.0.5r2) as a basis.

This does have the disadvantage that if you are developing code to work on both Teensy and the newer Arduino boards (Due, the as yet unreleased Tre, Yún) whose support software is still in beta, you need to use two different platforms to develop it. You could ask on the Arduino forum if there is a planned date for 1.5.x to come out of beta and become released, supported software. Due has certainly been in beta for a very long time.

I didn't realize that Arduino folks have tagged BETA on *all* 1.5.x releases. Last non-beta was 1.0.x
Arduino 1.5.5 BETA: Windows, Windows Installer, Mac OS X, Linux: 32 bit, 64 bit, source
Arduino 1.5.4 BETA: Windows, Windows Installer, Mac OS X, Linux: 32 bit, 64 bit, source
Arduino 1.5.3 BETA: Windows, Windows Installer, Mac OS X, Linux: 32 bit, 64 bit, source
Arduino 1.5.2 BETA: Windows,Mac OS X, Linux: 32 bit, 64 bit, source
Arduino 1.5.1 BETA: Windows,Mac OS X, Linux: 32 bit, 64 bit, source
Arduino 1.5 BETA: Windows,Mac OS X, Linux: 32 bit, 64 bit, source
Arduino 1.0.4: Windows,Mac OS X, Linux: (32 bit, 64 bit), source- hosted by Google Code

It would be advantageous to update the teesyduino installer to mention this before or at the step where you are locating the Arduino app.

Think it is pretty obvious when you go to download the file and when you install it. You just need to read and not click away without reading (I assume you also have 10 search bars in your browser from when programs trick you during install if you don't read the details). Not to be blunt, but the user has to put in a bit of effort.
teensyduino_install.pngteensyDuino.png

Someday I'm going to do some major work on the installer, but probably not until late this year or early 2015. Redesigning the installer is a LOT of work.

There's not much extra space on that file selection panel to show info about Arduino versions. Someday I might add a "extra info" button that opens another window to show info about what the installer is seeing as you click each directory. I suppose *that* windows should also have the info about which Arduino version(s) are supported, even through the info is on the intro screen and web page.

My long-term plan is to turn the file selection into a 2-step process, where the first step shows a list of automatically discovered locations on your computer. The last item in that list will be a button to manually choose a location, which will take you to the location selection we have now.

That automatic location discovery depends upon a small patch I submitted to Arduino about a year ago. Here's the patch.

https://github.com/arduino/Arduino/commit/ae265a98b9e3e75425d7cd209963527c6da85f72

As can see, this causes Arduino to store the location and time last run of every version of Arduino you ever use into Arduino's prefs file. The prefs file is findable on all 3 platforms, using platform-specific methods (eg, the Windows Registry on Windows). Cristian merged my patch in November 2013. But Arduino hasn't released a non-beta version since May 2013, and I'm not yet supporting the 1.5.x beta versions.

Wow ok - So I did work it out. I got it installed and working. I did miss the mention of compatibility when I grabbed the installer - for some reason I was overcome by excitement.

The installer directs you fairly well out of the gate, so I commented on something I had a cognitive problem with, that can be resolved, and did not phrase my comment in any other way than reasonable feedback.

You ARE blunt, and unnecessarily so.

When we produce products at Pivotal Labs where I work consulting on software design, usability etc, we like to let the user focus their effort on what matters to them. It's not an uncommon attitude, it's what has made many products stand out. I'm not lazy, or a particularly green computer user like you tried to imply. I simply suggested an improvement.

To you Paul, is the installer open source? Pretty happy to make the improvement myself and submit a PR. However the best of all worlds would be if Arduino 1.5.x became stable so that you could reliably extend it :D

Anyway, loving my easy to set up and use Teensy 3.1. I already have two small analog joysticks changing filter parameters in Reason through Midi. Totally what I was after.

Think it is pretty obvious when you go to download the file and when you install it. You just need to read and not click away without reading (I assume you also have 10 search bars in your browser from when programs trick you during install if you don't read the details). Not to be blunt, but the user has to put in a bit of effort.
View attachment 2245View attachment 2246

Sorry, just noticed it was your first post and miss understood your point. Instead I thought you were a new person and were mad at Paul for something that is stated many times during download and install. But now I understand and hope you enjoy the teensy as much as I do

Do the mainstream Arduino-ites just use the beta or older, and not press for a released baseline?

I suspect most people using Arduino use the 1.0.x releases, unless they have Due/DigiX, or like hanging out on the edge. All of the microprocessors I use use 1.0.4 or 1.0.5 (well except for the DigiX which I have never powered on).

Paul, a simple and easy improvement would be
edit, deleted suggestion because the download page already says what I was suggesting

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back