'HID Keyboard Device' not working for me using T3 from Teensyduino 1.19 onwards

Experimentalist

Hi

I have not been working on my project for a while and last compiled it with Arduino 1.0.5 and Teensyduino 1.18 (TD 1.18). Getting going again I saw that TD 1.19 was released and TD1.20 RC4 is also out there.

With all variations above Arduino 1.0.5 and Teensyduino 1.18 when I upload the 'HID Keyboard Device' disappears out of device manager (MS Windows 8.1). After some time trying to figure out which of the libraries I am using might be causing me the issues it occurred to me that even with the bare minimum sketch example I should see the 'HID Keyboard Device'. So I uploaded that with Arduino 1.0.5 and Teensyduino 1.18 and it is there, anything after that it is not.

I have tried these variations:

Capture - 01.PNG

I am using a Arduino settings as follows:
Board: Teensy 3.0
USB Type: Serial + Keyboard + Mouse + Joystick
CPU Speed: 96MHz (Overclock)
Keyboard layout: "United Kingdom"

For clarity I am using the example sketch under basics, the bare minimum sketch:

void setup() {
// put your setup code here, to run once:

}

void loop() {
// put your main code here, to run repeatedly:

}

Anyone have any idea what is going on? It has to be my setup but I do not get it.

Thanks
Ex

Last edited:
I also have a T3.1 and have just tried uploading to that and that does not work with any version at all. I have tried Arduino 1.0.5 and TD 1.18 and also Arduino 1.0.5 with TD1.17 and all of the variations in my first post and cannot get it to present the 'HID Keyboard Device' with any of these combinations.

I have just taken my device programmed with my project using Arduino 1.0.6 and TD1.20 RC4 and plugged it into a Windows 7 PC. It works fine, so the problem seems to be with the Windows 8.1 machine. I am guessing that does not come as a huge surprise. I am guessing some of the USB devices in the registry must be corrupted or something but really have no idea where to start.

Anyone got any ideas on how to fix it?

I have just updated Arduino 1.0.6 and TD1.20 RC4 adding a new device 'Keyboard + Raw HID' as described in this post Adding a new USB type and then set that as my USB type. My 'HID Keyboard Device' has reappeared. I guess this is as Windows sees this as a new device.

I think I must have some corrupted entries in the registry at 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USB\'. The thing is if the device is not recognised I cannot use device manager to get the 'Device Instance Path' from the 'Details' tab of the device properties dialog. Therefore I am not sure how I can find and correct the errors. Since I am intending to start development using this new device type I should be alright. However, I would like to understand the issue and resolution in case this happens again.

I did wonder if I could just remove all the Teensy related device records under this registry key to fix it? Not sure if this may kill Windows though!

Here is a screen grab of the Teensy related device records under that registry path:

Capture - 02.PNG

You can even see at some time during my development I managed to create a device with VID 16c0 and PID 0478 by typing too fast, should have been PID 0487.

I can't use device manager to remove a device unless it is visible so I am once again a bit stumped, any ideas?

Back