Can anyuone recommend a Bluetooth module for use with the Teensy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Experimentalist

Hi

In the first instance I am just looking to use this as a way of locking a device based on proximity of a mobile phone to the Teensy but guess I will soon have many other ideas once I get going.

Just wondered if anyone had any good or bad experiences to share regarding Bluetooth modules and the most cost effective solution

Thanks
Ex.

Last edited:
Here's a page where Chris Rorden documents the Bluetooth module he used for a project. Scroll down to "Sample Application: Wireless oscilloscope"

http://www.mccauslandcenter.sc.edu/CRNL/tools/oscilloscope

He also documents how to configure for 230400 baud when using it with Teensy 3.0.

This is the specific Bluetooth module he used:

http://wiki.openpilot.org/display/Doc/Serial+Bluetooth+Telemetry

Notice there's links to several sites that sell it. Buy the 5V version for use with Teensy 2.0, or the 3V one for Teensy 3.0.

Last edited:
Paul

Thanks for the info, I have ordered a couple with a break out board supporting both 3.3V and 5V so suitable for the entire Teensy range I believe.

I got these from an eBay seller.

Ex.

http://redbearlab.com/bleshield/

This one has the new low power, low energy Bluetooth.
What is unique is that they have an "APP" that would work
with this Bluetooth Arduino shield which could easily
be connected via SPI to the Teensy 3. Also, to talk to the "Arduino
compatible" they are using Firmata library which Paul
just completed. I am still investigating this unique Bluetooth
product.

Last edited:
t3andy

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I am already using the SPI port on my T3 for SD card access on my current project so this will not be any good for me.

The other problem with all things Arduino shield is they are the exact opposite of Teensy i.e. huge. This board looks to bigger than the case my entire project is housed in.

I will be keeping an eye out for a small version using this low energy chipset though and will post back if I find one.

Ex.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I am already using the SPI port on my T3 for SD card access on my current project so this will not be any good for me.
SPI is a bus. To expand it, you just only need another chip select. Using SPI just only for your SD card and saying that SPI is already used is wrong.

SPI is a bus. To expand it, you just only need another chip select. Using SPI just only for your SD card and saying that SPI is already used is wrong.

Sorry for the slow reply and thanks for the information, been away and did not have my logon with me. I am quite new to this and on a steep learning curve. I will need to read up on the SPI bus, as I said I thought it was a port. I am still keeping an eye out for a small foot print low power Bluetooth module based on the chipset used in the module you mentioned. Thanks again and have a good new year.

I am still keeping an eye out for a small foot print low power Bluetooth module

The low power Bluetooth I mention (above) using Firmata " T3 patch" compiled but the BLE library did not. A closer inspection reveals
an interrupt being used. So before you purchase any hardware make sure you can compile ALL the software "first".
I believe the interrupts on the Teensy 3 are not 100% complete due to the fact there are so many of them. (work in progress)
Only Paul can give an interrupt status update.

I used a bluesmirf gold RPSMA in one of my projects....worked for a year...started randomly dropping the connection...now it powers up, but won't even pair. I've resorted to an analog readout, but one day I'd like to put BT back on it...but not if I'm only going to get a year of use out of it. (And RPSMA is req'd).

I've been able to get these (http://www.ebay.com/itm/261128344954?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649) to work with Teensy 3.0 on a Mac running Snow Lion.

Here's the connections:
Teensy 3.0 Bluetooth Module
------------ -------------------
Vin VCC
GND GND
RX1 TXD
TX1 RXD

Here's a simple sketch:

#define BAUD_RATE 9600

void setup()
{
Serial.begin(BAUD_RATE);
Serial1.begin(BAUD_RATE);
}

void loop()
{
char recvChar;
while(1){
if(Serial.available()){//check if there's any data sent from the local serial terminal, you can add the other applications here
recvChar = Serial.read();
Serial1.print(recvChar);
}
if(Serial1.available()){//check if there's any data sent from the remote bluetooth shield
recvChar = Serial1.read();
Serial.print(recvChar);
}
}
}

I used CoolTerm with 2 "terminal windows", one connected to "usbmodem12341" (the Teensy USB port) and the other to "GarageController-DevB" (the Bluetooth port).

Here's the commands supported by the device:

Command Response Note
----------- ----------- -------------------------------
AT OK Useful to check connection and baudrate
AT+VERSION Linvor1.5 Get the version of the module
AT+BAUDx OKyyyy Set the baudrate x as follows:
• 1 = 1200 bps
• 2 = 2400 bps
• 3 = 4800 bps
• 4 = 9600 bps
• 5 = 19200 bps
• 6 = 38400 bps
• 7 = 57600 bps
• 8 = 115200 bps
• 9 = 230400 bps
• A = 460800 bps
• B = 921600 bps
• C = 1382400 bps
AT+NAMEString OKsetname Change Bluetooth device name to String
20 characters max
AT+PINxxxx OKsetpin Set the Bluetooth device PIN to xxxx
1234 by default
AT+PN OK None Disable parity check
AT+PO OK ODD Set odd parity check
AT+PE OK EVEN Set even parity check

Note that the characters of the command must be sent very fast (I use cut&paste) and not typed (unless you're an extremely fast typist!).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back