BURNED my Teensy 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbptl3

While I was testing a project on my Teensy, it began to smoke. I was using 4.5v power and i suppose one of the wires hit a part of the teensy that it wasn't supposed to touch. Nevertheless, a component next to the ground side of the USB port of the teensy was burned and fell off of the board. It still seems to work fine, but I am unsure what the part did.

teensy3.png

I think I have it all labeled right... If you mean the ferrite in the bottom left corner between the USB and ground it's to improve "the transient immunity performance". I don't think it will hurt much to not have it on there. Of course I could be totally wrong.

Yup, if you touched +4.5 volts from a battery (able to deliver lots of current) to the shell of the USB connector, then it would burn the ferrite bead.

The board will work fine without that part, but the USB shield won't be connected. That probably makes no difference functionally. It's only meant to help the shield contain lower frequency noise, without letting it act as an antenna for higher frequencies. But usually the shield is connected directly to ground at the PC side anyway.... and even if it isn't, the worst case is probably only a tiny bit of random radio frequency noise emitted, but only when a USB cable is plugged in.

Do be careful with those wires. If 4.5 volts from a strong low-impedance source touches elsewhere, it could destroy the chip and ruin the board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back