Bad Board?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a teensy 3.0 for Christmas, and proceeded to plug it in. The first 10 or so times i plugged it in/applied power, the teensy's led would flash and then stay off, and the 3.3v port by the reset button would drop to ~2v. Then i plugged it in and heard something hiss. I unplugged and checked for any damage under a magnifying glass and couldn't find anything. The main chip was hot. It never was recognized by my laptop, it wouldn't even display "unknown device". Did I get a bad board or what?

I believe I also got this by email. Yes, please sent it back and I'll replace it. I'll followup to your email with details.

Certainly Teensy is now supposed to work as you described. When you plug it in (but without pressing the button or running any software), the LED should continue blinking. The chip should not get hot.

I can tell you we do fully test every board. A bed-of-nails test checks for connectivity to each pin. As a final test, the LED blink program is loaded onto the board by USB, which is how we verify the USB port works.

It's entirely possible the board could have been damaged in shipping or as we packaged it. It's also possible something went wrong on your end. Usually I ask more questions, as a minimum precaution so there is something wrong with your setup, the replacement won't suffer the same fate. It sounds like you simply plugged the USB cable in to the board and your computer, right?

Whatever you do, when the replacement arrives, check it carefully by plugging in to your computer using a good cable. The LED should blink and continue blinking until you push the button or run the Arduino software and attempt to upload new code. The chip should not get hot.

Old post, but recently I dug up the board to salvage parts off of and found a short between two pins on the main chip. So I took it off and resoldered it. It now runs the blink sketch that came with it but is not recognized by my laptop. Did the short kill the usb ability of the chip? I've tried all the solutions in the forums, and can replace smd parts if needed. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Old post, but recently I dug up the board to salvage parts off of and found a short between two pins on the main chip.

Did the board come like that? If you had simply sent it back in its original condition, I would have been happy to replace it.

So I took it off and resoldered it. It now runs the blink sketch that came with it but is not recognized by my laptop. I've tried all the solutions in the forums, and can replace smd parts if needed. Any suggestions?

I really want to help, but if you've desoldered the chip and resoldered to the board, I'm afraid this is getting pretty far beyond the point where I can reasonably do much. PJRC certainly can not accept it back and replace it after such soldering has been done!

Maybe if you post a high res photo, something may be apparent? But you're probably able to see it much better there with a magnifier than any photo can show it here.

Last edited:
Oh i wasn't going to send it back. I probably messed it up soldering headers on it and your company shouldn't have to pay for that. And I'll check it out with a usb microscope

Hello Paul I just received my Teensy 3 yesterday and the LED on it would blink every time I plug it up but once I woke up this morning I noticed it doesn't blink anymore but if I start the Teensy loader app and press the button on the board, the program DOES acknowledge it....Does that mean the board is still functional??

Most likely, yes.

Have you tried using the Arduino software and uploading different programs?

I haven't yet...I'm entirely new to this world, lol.... Any suggestions on programs to try or site where I can get program sketches...BTW I'm using a MAC and my OS X is 10.8, (Mountain Lion)

Start with Arduino and Teensyduino. Details here:

http://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_download.html

After you've downloaded both and run the installer, open Arduino. Choose Teensy from the Tools > Boards menu. Open the LED blink from File > Examples > 01.Basics > Blink.

Then click Upload. It should reprogram your board. Try editing the delays and upload again...

I downloaded both yesterday and I actually tried to load the LED Blink from File > Examples > 01.Basics > Blink earlier today but Arduino is saying " avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding" .....

HOUSTON WE HAVE LIFT OFF!!! :D Finally! Everything is working now!! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you, Paul!!! My problem was; I was installing Teensyduino 1st then Arduino....SMH!!! BUt again thanks 2 U, my current problem is solved!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back