Serial Monitor Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

atf104

Paul / Everyone-

I'm running a Teensy 2.0++ where I coded it in the Arduino IDE with the Teensyduino add-on. I coded in Arduino 1.0 and had no problems. I haven't done work in a while, but I recently downloaded the latest Teensyduino add-on and I'm having issues pulling the serial monitor. I tried in 1.0.2 (what is the most recent compatible version of Arduino I believe?) and 1.0 with the same result. It's not letting me use the Serial Monitor. And I've experienced some other strange issues such as when opening a sketch all of the Teensy boards disappear from the board selector (only Arduino boards appear). Has anyone experienced problems like this?

Screen Shot 2012-12-30 at 8.27.15 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2012-12-30 at 8.27.15 PM.jpg

I've had no problems in Snow Leopard. But my work computer at my old job was Leopard, and I had alot of issues with software not running right on it, and it's already been dropped by a number of developers. But, like the lampshade macs, they'll use whatever they have until it falls over and dies. Which, Mac's dont...thus why they have lampshade macs. *sigh*

I don't know about teensyduino specifically, never had reason to load it on that computer. But Arduino 0022 worked fine.

I currently test on Lion (10.7). I'm planning to also begin testing soon on Mountain Lion (10.8).

I also have an old PPC-based Mini with Leopard (10.5), but it's in storage. I'm considering dropping PPC support and discarding that old machine, but I did get it out a few months ago to investing an issue someone reported on 10.5 (intel). I was unable to reproduce the problem.

Screen Shot 2012-12-31 at 9.11.17 PM.jpgPaul, if this is helpful. When I open a sketch from inside the IDE, I get Teensy functionality (Teensy board options appear in the menu). When I open the app via a sketch (double clicking a sketch), I don't have functionality. Very strange. I'm running 10.8.2.

Also, I noticed when I don't have Teensy functionality, the Serial options seem off? Or I just don't know what I'm looking at in that menu Paul?

I tried re-installing Java RE after seeing all those Java errors, that didn't seem to do anything...

Paul: Is the older version of the Teensy software available? I was thinking of testing with that and Arduino 1.0 for comparison. Will that version run under 10.8.2?

My best guess is you've got 2 or more copies of Arduino, some with the Teensyduino add-on installed, some without. The screenshot in message #5 is definitely from a copy of Arduino without Teensyduino added. This is probably a separate issue from the java error, but it does explain why you get Teensy in the Tools > Boards menu in some cases and not in others... you're almost certainly running a different copy of Arduino. They look the same on the screen, even if they're actually run from different physical copies on your machine.

The java error is probably unrelated to the multiple copies issue. I suspect it's a 10.8 thing. I have not tested on 10.8, but I plan to start doing 10.8 testing soon.

When you have a non-Serial type selected from Tools > USB Type, the serial monitor uses an emulated serial connection. The emulation works by running a program called "teensy_gateway" in the background, to communicate with Teensy (the emulated serial is actually a HID interface) and Arduino's Serial Monitor.

That java error appears to say the teensy_gateway program could not run. Maybe 10.8 is implementing a security feature that disallows unsigned applications from running? Are you seeing messages about that sort of thing?

Edit - that's it for tonight.... I have a NYE party to go to now!

I'll echo what Paul said. I have Arduino 0022 and 1.0 both loaded on mine, but only 1.0 has teensyduino. I have the latter set as the default opening program for sketches, as I only use 0022 for my older programs that I don't want to convert to fit 1.0's compiler.

I'll echo what Paul said. I have Arduino 0022 and 1.0 both loaded on mine, but only 1.0 has teensyduino. I have the latter set as the default opening program for sketches, as I only use 0022 for my older programs that I don't want to convert to fit 1.0's compiler.

Happy New Years guys.

By the Paul, this is Adam, we spoke when I was working on my "XFX" project. Anyway, yes I do have multiple versions (different revs) installed. I was testing between the different revs. Is it an issue having multiple versions installed? By the way, I'm working on a new project and just ordered a 3.0 from you last week. Would you recommend the 3.0 for development at this point or is it still too beta? Also, I guess for now I'll set up a Mac partition with an older OS version for development. You said 10.7 is stable and that's what you're using?

Teensy 3.0 works well, but it's not nearly as well documented as Teensy 2.0. Many of the libraries are also not yet ported. If you need the increased speed or more advanced peripherals, get Teensy 3.0. If Teensy 2.0 can do the job, and you value an easy experience doing it, then Teensy 2.0 is an easier path. Eventually everything will be ported to 3.0 and I'll get the website updated nicely...

I do all my development on Ubuntu 12.04 (64 bit), then I port to Mac and Windows.

For Linux, even though I develop on 12.04, I use a pair of virtual machines with Ubuntu 10.04 to compile the release versions. Using newer often creates problematic library dependencies for people running the older versions.

For Mac, I build with Xcode 3.2 using a makefile and gcc-4.0, and then I test on Lion (10.7). I recently purchased another mac for testing on 10.8. I also registered with Apple and I'm waiting for our identity to be confirmed. Hopefully that will allow future versions to be compatible with 10.8's default Gatekeeper settings.

I'm considering dropping PPC support from the Mac version, and moving to a newer Xcode with the llvm compiler. I currently do not have any way to test on 10.5 (intel) and 10.6, which is a concern for moving to newer Xcode. Apple isn't very good about supporting more than 1 old version....

For Windows, I build using mingw as a cross compiler hosted on Linux. Then I copy the data to Windows XP-SP3 and Windows 7-SP1 for testing, both running as a dual-boot on the same mac I use for 10.7 testing. I use Winclone to reimage the Windows partition between each test (I have terrible luck keeping even an unused Windows system in a clean and stable state... without reimaging the partition each time). I'm planning to add Windows 8 to my tests within the next couple months. I never test on Vista or Windows 2000, but people have reported the Windows version works fine on those systems.

Happy New Years guys.

By the Paul, this is Adam, we spoke when I was working on my "XFX" project. Anyway, yes I do have multiple versions (different revs) installed. I was testing between the different revs. Is it an issue having multiple versions installed? By the way, I'm working on a new project and just ordered a 3.0 from you last week. Would you recommend the 3.0 for development at this point or is it still too beta? Also, I guess for now I'll set up a Mac partition with an older OS version for development. You said 10.7 is stable and that's what you're using?

I think your issue is that when you open via a sketch, you get the old arduino w/o Teensy. When you open the proper arduino by hand, you have teensy.

Teensy only loads onto ONE arduino install unless you specify otherwise. IE on my computer, I can right click, and open with arduino 0022 (non-teensy) or Arduino 1.0 (teensy). If it's old code, i open with 22. If it's new or teensy, I open with 1.0.

Well I just loaded Arduino/Teensy on my work windows machine with Arduino 1.0.2 and connected a Teensy board and it works fine, serial, everything. So I think it's the combo of me having the multiple versions and OS 10.8 on my Mac. I'm setting up a 10.7 partition tonight and I'll try that out...

Paul, the new project I'm working on is 16 analog input pots (using a multiplexer IC), sending via USB midi. You don't see any "horsepower" issues with the 2.0 ++? You know anyone doing high count input multiplexing (maybe 48 via external IC's), with the 2.0/2.0++?

The main limit with lots of pots is ADC speed. Teensy 2 can sample about 10000 times per sec, so divide by 48 and you're still about 200 per sec, which feels fast. But over 100 to 200 pots takes time to read them all. For that many, Teensy 3's faster ADC would be much better.

CPU speed doesn't matter for this.

The main limit with lots of pots is ADC speed. Teensy 2 can sample about 10000 times per sec, so divide by 48 and you're still about 200 per sec, which feels fast. But over 100 to 200 pots takes time to read them all. For that many, Teensy 3's faster ADC would be much better.

CPU speed doesn't matter for this.

Max would be 48. The only library include I really need that's special is the USB/Midi library. Is that library ported to Teensy 3 yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back