soldering my own pins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjcomp

Hello,

I just ordered my first teensy3, I forgot that I wanted to order teensy with pins. The question is: is there anything special I need to do to solder my own pins? Or is it as simple as I think it is? The next question is, how do I access pins on both sides? When I look at the picture of teensy 3 with pins it seems that I only have access to pins on one side, but not the other, am I correct?

Thanks!

I just ordered my first teensy3, I forgot that I wanted to order teensy with pins.

Reply to the confirmation email ASAP. Usually Robin can change your order if you email quickly.

The question is: is there anything special I need to do to solder my own pins?

Like any soldering, the quality depends upon using an appropriate temperature, applying the heat long enough to allow all parts to reach a uniform temperature, use of quality flux (usually in the core of the solder), and keeping the parts still until everything is cooled.

The next question is, how do I access pins on both sides? When I look at the picture of teensy 3 with pins it seems that I only have access to pins on one side, but not the other, am I correct?

If you use the pins we solder to the boards, they're only accessible on the bottom side. There are companies like Digikey that sell lots of other types of pins, so you could find ones that are long on both sides.

Reply to the confirmation email ASAP. Usually Robin can change your order if you email quickly.

Like any soldering, the quality depends upon using an appropriate temperature, applying the heat long enough to allow all parts to reach a uniform temperature, use of quality flux (usually in the core of the solder), and keeping the parts still until everything is cooled.

If you use the pins we solder to the boards, they're only accessible on the bottom side. There are companies like Digikey that sell lots of other types of pins, so you could find ones that are long on both sides.

I solder my own pins. iron at 275F, and hit each pin for about 2 seconds, with 3 seconds between pins.

I've yet to find anything at mouser with a significant pin length on both sides. Close, but no cigar.

I successfully soldered my own pins! It was not a problem at all. I used 275 F and I used 2 seconds on and 3 seconds off. Thanks for help everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back