Teensy 3.0 as flight controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

cTn

Hi guys, i just wanted to share and show what i am doing with my teensy.
I wrote a flight controller from scratch, which is now fully "hooked" into teensy internal hw timers, i also wrote a rather simple complementary based kinematics that i am using for stabilization.

Video demonstration showing my kinematics in action (real time)

I also have an rather older video of my quad flying using teensy 3.0 as brain (i improved the stabilization since then quite significantly)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKqWw4nmVKk

My full source code can be found on github https://github.com/cTn-dev/Phoenix-FlightController
And also if there is anyone working on similar project and could use some help, just leave a message in this thread. I will be more then happy to help you.

Last edited:
Well this seems exciting. I was just thinking of figuring out how to implement a flight controller with the teensy 3, having just received one. Have you any plans/interest in adding support for a tricopter platform? I'm building one, and have just purchased a sensor board with: 3-axis gyroscope, 3-axis accelerometer, 3-axis magnetometer and atmospheric pressure.

Well this seems exciting. I was just thinking of figuring out how to implement a flight controller with the teensy 3, having just received one. Have you any plans/interest in adding support for a tricopter platform? I'm building one, and have just purchased a sensor board with: 3-axis gyroscope, 3-axis accelerometer, 3-axis magnetometer and atmospheric pressure.

Sure, this shouldn't be a problem, would this be a tricopter with or without the yaw servo on the back ?

Sure, this shouldn't be a problem, would this be a tricopter with or without the yaw servo on the back ?

Yes, it'll have a servo in the rear, controlling louvers to adjust the vector of airflow exiting that rotor. The design is much like this (have continued to make tweaks since this version):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/roens/8367667795/

I began, last week, on fabricating parts. Hopefully this weekend I'll get at least the fiberglass ducts & electronics box (at the center of the body) made.. and perhaps the aluminum motor mounts.

pretty cool, there is no support for tricopter (at the moment) but it can be added pretty easily

Yeah, I've already got an atmega 2560-based controller. (the "MultiWii Pro" board from HobbyKing) And will use that for now. But like the idea of separating the sensors from the MCU, for flexibility of firmware & both software and physical setup. Plus, it's cheaper to change the MCU if its not part of the sensor array.

Any progress lately ?
Well of course, one of the many highlights since my last post:

I got a crossplatform configurator utility
Flight software now supports accelerometer "Trimming" via transmitter
Fully dynamic channel assigning and fully dynamic aux functions assigning
Support for 16 channel receivers
Support for both PWM and PPM receivers
And many more...

You have only one PPM input, what transmitter/receiver are you using for controlling craft ?
I have Turnigy 9x and FrSky V8FR transmitter module don't think I can set it up that way......

Well of course, one of the many highlights since my last post:
Support for both PWM and PPM receivers
And many more...

What pins can I use for PWM setup?

And the main question about ESC, how they handle 3V logic levels, and how did you power your Receiver? 3.3V or 5V ?
If 5V, is Teensy Pin3 5V tolerable ?

Thank you

This is great! I have been looking at building a quad or a 6 blade R/C copter for aerial video. But, instead of using blades I was thinking of using electric ducted fan engines instead with a 100% carbon fiber body. I am a total novice in the design and electronics, but very experienced in PC/server and network systems design.
Could I use this to stabilize and control my project?

Its a remarkable software for flights. The aviation industry make high use of such software. I have read articles where many countries make use of this kind of software.

Hey cTn, any news on project? I got some of your shields printed, but I have trouble figuring out bills of materials, can you send me one ?

Hi cTn,
this project is great.
I've downloaded the software, ordered an got a teensy3.1. The code is compiled and downloaded.
But I did not manage to connect the configurator. The port-field is empty and no device can be selected.
I've tried this with chrom, chromium and firefox - no difference.
I use Ubuntu and linux mint.
lsusb shows "Bus 004 Device 005: ID 16c0:0483 VOTI Teensyduino Serial"
/dev/ttyACM0 exists.
I'm member of the dialout group.
Do you have any idea whats going wrong?

Edit: Chrome Version is 32. Using Windows vista brings the same results.
Edit2: The error in the js console is: "Uncaught TypeError: Cannot call method 'getBackgroundPage' of undefined "

Thank you

Last edited:
The mini flies. PID's not changed. Graupner SUMD protocoll added :)
kopter.jpg

Last edited:
The parts are:
- Teensy3.1 flight controller
- Graupner Mx-12 with GR12SH+ (I've forked cTn's software for my experiments)
- ESC XP 3A 1S 0.7g
- HobbyKing AP-03 7000kv Brushless Micro Motor
- Frame: 1,5mm CFK (wood may also work)
- Sensor: GY-86
- LiPo: 1S, 750mAh
Please ask google for the price of the parts.
Wheigt is <70g (I've test 20g additional load). Size, motor to motor, is 10cm. Nice to fly inside the house, especialy when it is cold outside ;)

I'm working on a similar project using Teensy 3.1, MPU9150, and MPL115A2, but cannot connect to the Baseflight configurator. Can you give some info on how to do this?

I'm working on a similar project using Teensy 3.1, MPU9150, and MPL115A2, but cannot connect to the Baseflight configurator. Can you give some info on how to do this?

I ported baseflight firmware and had to a mod to baseflight-conifguration tool due to GPS not being installed. Which code base are you using

Last edited:
I am currently working with MPU9250BasicAHRS.ino, but have not achieved a good compile for Teensy 3.1, and teensyduino

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back