Teensy 3.0 as a fan controller/serial device/computer light controller!

Status
Not open for further replies.

famthegeek

Anyone done something similar to this before? Looking out for some fan control circuitry as that's the main thing I want to build first. I got no opto-isolators at the moment and parts are hard to come by up here so was thinking about using transistors wired as switches. any suggestions on how I should do this the correct way? :)

Lots of ways to do this.. a simple NPN BJT transistor like the 2n2222 will drive several fans. They are INCREDIBLY cheap. They will control the negative side of the fan, placed on a PWM pin, you'll be able to control the speed of the fans based on an input.. Which brings us to...
How do you want to control the fans, potentiometer or temp sensor? Thermistors are nice and cheap temp sensors, for this temperature range, you probably want a 10k NTC thermistor. Get several, you can monitor all sorts of temperatures around the computer. Hard drive, CPU heatsink, chipset heatsink, video card heatsink. If you're comfortable taking apart your power supply, you could get one inside of it on it's heatsink and control that fan too, but don't do that if you don't feel comfortable in there, there are dangerous voltages in there, even when it's unplugged.
Sounds like a fun project, I wonder why I haven't done it yet, myself.. :)

I will be controlling them in two modes one auto based on temperature sensors both thermistors and data from the cpu and gpu's over serial. and manual mode with rotary encoders/over serial. the rotary encoders have rgb backlight so I'll use that to give me visual feedback c:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back