Is my Teensy 3.0 broken?

Status
Not open for further replies.

revar

I got a Teensy3.0 for Xmas, and I'm just now getting around to trying it out. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work.

I've installed the beta10 software for teensy3 that is given at http://www.pjrc.com/teensy/beta/arduino-1.0.3-teensy3-beta10-macos.zip
In the Arduino.app given, I set:
Tools->Board = Teensy3.0
Tools->USB Type = Serial
Tools->CPU Speed = 96Mhz
Tools->Programmer = Arduino as ISP

I load the Blink sketch, change the timing to blink every half second (so I will be able to tell the diff from the default blink app), and I change the ledPin to 13.
I plug the Teensy3 in to the USB, and it blinks once a second.
I click on Upload in the given Arduino.app, and the code compiles, and the Teensy.app is launched. The Auto light is lit. The Teensy3 keeps blinking once a second.
I get a message from the Arduino.app that I need to press the button, so I do. The light goes out and nothing happens.
Just in case, I try running upload again, both just before, just after, and just as I press the reload button on the Teensy3. No blinks. No change.
I turn off Auto mode in Teensy.app, open the Blink.cpp.hex file, and note that the upload and reset buttons remain disabled.
I press the reload button, and still no change. When I unplug and replug the Teensy3, it starts the slow 1-second Blink program it came with.

I'm running OS X 10.8.2, so I go into the System Information app, and look at the USB devices connected. I see no device for the Teensy3. I unplug and replug the Teensy3 and refresh, and still no device. I press the Reload button on the Teensy3 and refresh the USB list again and still no device.

Is my Teensy3 just dead? Do I need to install some sort of device driver that I failed to find mention of?

This may be too obvious, but have you tried a different USB cable? Everything you've described sounds like a working Teensy 3.0 board that's getting power but no data from the USB cable.

When Teensy is running the LED blink, you should see this in the "System Report":

Screen Shot 2013-01-18 at 1.50.29 PM.png

When you press the pushbutton, it should change to this (it doesn't auto-update, you need to use File > Refresh Information):

Screen Shot 2013-01-18 at 1.50.48 PM.png

Notice this 2nd one doesn't say "Teensy", but it is indeed Teensy while it's in bootloader mode after you press the button.

I did do the File -> Refresh Information, but neither device that you describe were present.
I'll try to find another USB micro cable to test with later tonight.

Yep, the USB cable was bad. Hadn't even occurred to me it could be bad before your comment. Thanks!

Good cable - same problem...

Paul, I've been using the Teensy 3.0 for about a week and have found that sometimes the Teensy loader app just can't seem to find it. I checked System Profiler and the device shows up the same as the images (both normally and after pressing the reset button) but I can't upload code for anything. To be clear, when I got it, I had this problem but it "magically" went away and worked great for a couple days of coding. Now it's happening again. Since it shows up in System Profiler correctly, I can assume that the cable is good. I am using a MacBook Pro (mid 2012 edition) and a "hackintosh" (i7 based). I get the same results on both machines. Any ideas?

I am using a MacBook Pro (mid 2012 edition) and a "hackintosh" (i7 based). I get the same results on both machines. Any ideas?

It is version 10.5, 10.6, 10.7 or 10.8?

Teensy Loader has a "verbose info" option, in the help menu. That can give more info about what it's seeing. When you have that verbose info window selected, the mac menu bar should have a menu that can save the info to a file. Or you can just copy and paste.

It is version 10.5, 10.6, 10.7 or 10.8?

Teensy Loader has a "verbose info" option, in the help menu. That can give more info about what it's seeing. When you have that verbose info window selected, the mac menu bar should have a menu that can save the info to a file. Or you can just copy and paste.

I am running Mac OS 10.8.2 on both machines. As for the verbose output, if the device is not plugged in when I launch the Loader app, I get this:

16:17:06: Teensy Loader 1.06, begin program
16:17:06: File "Dive_Computer_Code.cpp.hex". 31504 bytes, 24% used
16:17:06: Listening for remote control on port 3149
16:17:06: initialized, showing main window
16:17:07: HID/macos: no devices found
16:17:13: Verbose Info event

If it is plugged in, I get this:

16:14:20: Teensy Loader 1.06, begin program
16:14:21: File "Dive_Computer_Code.cpp.hex". 31504 bytes, 24% used
16:14:21: Listening for remote control on port 3149
16:14:21: initialized, showing main window
16:14:21: HID/macos: attach callback
16:14:21: HID/macos: number of devices found = 1
16:14:21: HID/macos: vid=16C0, pid=0478, page=FF9C, usage=001D
16:14:21: HID/macos: none of the devices had known usage
16:14:24: Verbose Info event

Pressing the reset button here does nothing...

Working again

As happened before, the board just started working again... Weird... Perhaps there is a loose solder joint someplace that opens when it warms up...

Wrong version

Version 1.06 is too old. Version 1.07 is the first to support Teensy 3.0.

Maybe you've got 2 copies on your machine, and sometimes you're running the old one?

Ahh.. I was running v1.05. I did not realize that teensyduino also installed the loader app and that it is a different version than if you downloaded it separately. I assume there is a good reason for the loader app being a different version if you download it separately but you might want to consider making a note of that on the webpage so others do not fall into the same trap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back