Seeking advice/wisdom - new to the teensy world

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustJoe

The size and cost of the device as well as the potential uses is what has peeked my interest; I have no idea of the full capabilities of the device, but may decide to put my tinkering hat on and delve into the teensy world.

I would like to do is use the device as a parcel intrusion detection tool; can I hook up a wire inside a parcel connected to this device in order to record the date and time that the wire is broken (closed/open circuit). I would probably send several test pieces through in order to gather data. Then I would attempt to upgrade to a live test in which I would want to receve a signal when the wire is tripped. I may even attempt to progrees to include a gps signal depending on how cost and size would affect the overall project.

Any and all commments/help/assistance is welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Joe

Sounds pretty simple, but then most projects do at the outset! You could also use a magnet and a small reed switch to detect opening a package. That can be used repeatedly to detect multiple openings vs breaking a wire once:). See what I mean? The idea just got a little more complex but maybe also a lot more useful. You'd want the crystal and a backup battery to run the Teensy onboard clock to log the time of each event. You could make a pretty small package with AA batteries powering it. Power management and battery life would take a bit of thought. Just to prove the idea there are converters such as http://www.bodhilabs.com/ which would help prove the idea.
Bruce

Bruce

Sounds pretty simple, but then most projects do at the outset! You could also use a magnet and a small reed switch to detect opening a package. That can be used repeatedly to detect multiple openings vs breaking a wire once:). See what I mean? The idea just got a little more complex but maybe also a lot more useful. You'd want the crystal and a backup battery to run the Teensy onboard clock to log the time of each event. You could make a pretty small package with AA batteries powering it. Power management and battery life would take a bit of thought. Just to prove the idea there are converters such as http://www.bodhilabs.com/ which would help prove the idea.
Bruce

Bruce

A magnet would work if the package is opened normally. If the package is comprised through cutting or tearing. then the magnet could be avoided which would mean no data gathered. I was thinking of powering the unit with small round, flat batteries in order to keep the size down. I was wondering if I could connect two points with a wire - i.e. one point to another (ground) so that there would be a closed loop with the wire intact and when the wire was compromised an open would trigger the saving of the date and time. As far as timeline for the test, I would need the power to last min 24 hours to possibly 72 hours. If the unit loses power, will the data (time and date stamp) still be stored or do I have to make sure the unit can hold power until I can retrieve the data?

I currently use something the size of a credit card for live tests; however, I want something smaller (easier concealment) and cheaper (less concern for loss/missing unit) in order to do multiple tests that do not need first hand monitoring. I am trying to gather data in order to increase my success for a live test.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back