Unable to install Teensyduino 1.12

shad

Hi,

Before I start talking about my issue, I wanted to thank Paul for his hard work, the Teensy 3.0 I've bought is really amazing.

So, now, my issue: I'm using Gentoo Linux, on a 64 bits computer (with a 64 bits system) and the Teensyduino installer segfaults on start. I can't get to see the installation window at all. Because the installer was compiled without the debug symbol, I was not able to get much out of GDB. I ran the installer with strace, but the output was not really helpful (I attached it to this message as 'trace.txt' though). The problem seems to be dating back from the Beta 12 installer, which segfaults as well.

It tried the 1.11 and 1.10 installers and it worked correctly (I could see the installation window at least, I did not went any further). Because I own a Teensy 3.0, I've been only been using the various beta, and I've always relied on the all-in-one tarballs so far, so it would seem I'm stuck with Beta 11 for the moment.

Do you have any other installer, or any source for the installer, so I can compile it from my machine (with debug symbols)?

Regards,
Shad

Attachments

• trace.txt
    12.2 KB · Views: 201
The installer is compressed with UPX. First, use UPX to decompress the file.

Then use "ldd" to show which libraries it's linking with on your system. Maybe that will show something useful? Guessing from the trace, maybe the culprit might be libXdmcp.so.6?

Historically, Gentoo has experienced *MANY* problems. Especially in the days when Arduino depended upon some of the system-provided toolchain, Gentoo users almost never got anything to work. Many of the packages Gentoo ships are horribly broken. In terms of providing a trouble-free system, Gentoo is the absolute worst of all the widely used Linux distros. I'd highly recommend using a different distro.

Thank you Paul. I used upx to decompress the installer. It leaved me with a bigger binary that it tried to execute out of curiosity. It turned out it worked (!) and I could get the installer window to show up. I've installed it on top of Arduino 1.0.3 and could get my sketches to compile and load on the board. Because it seems that I'm the only one so far to experience this issue, I won't investigate it any further. If the only thing I have to do each time you push a new version is to uncompressed the installer, it should be fine.

As for the Gentoo, I've been using this distro for around 10 years, and I don't believe I'll change anytime soon (I've tried many others and was never entirely satisfied). Nonetheless, I'll be wary of the cross-compiler issues you pointed out if I run into any trouble.

Thanks again!

Regards,
Shad

Wow, this is the first I've ever heard of the UPX auto decompression not working! UPX has always worked before. Very strange.

Of course, nearly all the "strange" problems I've had reported from users over the last 4 years fall into 2 categories: Windows not recognizing USB devices, and a wide variety of incompatibilities specific to Gentoo.

Well, this is indeed strange. What is even more strange is that old versions of the installer in 64 bits and all the 32 bit version I tested (event the latest 1.12) work. Maybe you updated something in your toolchain in the latest version. Either way, I think the issue is closed, and if someone else run into this problem, let's hope he/she will find this post (and reports this he/she is being affected as well). I'll update this thread if the installer of the 1.13 version (and upcoming versions) works, so that you know some people might still be affected.

Thanks again for your help, and your very timely answer.

Regards,
Shad

Back