Help with an Arduino Library

Status
Not open for further replies.

turtle9er

Hi Everyone,

Well I am new to both the arduino and the teensy, so bear with me. I am working on a project that has been using an arduino and I have been using this library to measure 3 things, frequency 440hz to 3000hz, time period (0.01 to 0.02 seconds), and a second time period (.5 to 1 second). Link to library is http://www.avdweb.nl/arduino/hardware-interfacing/frequency-period-counter.html. It is working with the arduino, however I would like to use a teensy due to faster usb write speed, can use 3 interrupts, and it is smaller. I am just wondering why this library will not work with the Teensy 3. I am not sure if it is a simple fix to make it work, or if it is really hard. Like I said I am new to all of this and trying to learn it the best I can. Any help would be great. For reference I have just tried to use the basic example on that website and it does not spit out any serial data. Thanks in advance.

Since the sample code compiles fine for T3, there is really nothing we can help with unless you post your code and explain what your problem is. I do believe the interrupts are numbered after the pins eg int1 = pin1

Last edited:
I have tried to change the interrupts to match, I assume when I use pin 3, it is equal to interrupt 3. Here is the code.

Code:
#include <FreqPeriodCounter.h>

const byte counterPin = 3; 
const byte counterInterrupt = 3; // = pin 3
FreqPeriodCounter counter(counterPin, micros, 0);

void setup(void) 
{ Serial.begin(9600); 
  attachInterrupt(counterInterrupt, counterISR, CHANGE);
}

void loop(void) 
{ if(counter.ready()) Serial.println(counter.hertz());
}

void counterISR()
{ counter.poll();
}

The issue is that nothing happens. From looking at the cpp and header file, it waits for a boolean to be true, which says it is ready to spit out a value, at least this is what I assume it means. So it will compile and I can upload it, however it will never go ready, therefore nothing gets printed out. The code does not seem that advance, that is why I thought it would just work for the teensy 3 without changes. Thanks for your reply.
I also just noticed that in the header file it has #include arduino.h....would this be different for the teensy 3?

Last edited:
What do you have connected to the input pin? "poll" a is only called if there is a change to the pin value and ready is only called if poll is getting a value. If you feel confident pull should return a value, try to put counter.poll() into the main loop to isolate if the problem is related to the interrupt, the poll or the actual input value.

I have a function generator connected spitting out a pulse at 1000hz at 3V. Exact same as I have on the arduino uno and it is working. I will try another input tomorrow just to see if it is that. Since it compiles it should run. All new to me, so learning as I go. Thanks for the help.

I figured it out, I was forgetting to set the pinMode to input. I knew it was some stupid oversight on my part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back