win7 x64 will not auto-reset

Status
Not open for further replies.

keithg

Paul,

I cannot reliably auto-reboot program any of my teensies (2 or 3) on win 7 x64 (java is 1.7.something). I have never had an issue with any arduino board. I can pretty regularly get them to program after I hit the reset button, but an 'auto-reboot' re-program happens only once in maybe 20 attempts. At one point, I could not communicate with the the teensy at all and thought I had blown it. I had to reboot in Linux to program it and it has been working fine since. I am running the Beta 7 environment under windows 7 64 bit, currently, but this problem has happened since beta 3.

If I boot the laptop as linux ubuntu 12.04 x64, it works flawlessly, every time.

Is there a log or other diagnostics I can give you?

Keith

I tried this on another laptop today which is XP (home is all Linux and work is all windows) and had no issues programming the Teensy 2. It auto-rebooted every time. This just seems to be with Win7 x64... I do not know which is the driver the win or the x64. All of our windows machines at work are win7 x64 except this one old laptop.

Keith

I tried this on another laptop today which is XP (home is all Linux and work is all windows) and had no issues programming the Teensy 2. It auto-rebooted every time. This just seems to be with Win7 x64... I do not know which is the driver the win or the x64. All of our windows machines at work are win7 x64 except this one old laptop.

Keith

Can't really help other than to say, I received my first Teensy boards (2.0) today and I am using it fine tonight on Win 7-64. When I hit upload it does take about 5-10 seconds before the Teensy-loader says rebooting, then another 5-10 seconds before it appears to reset and begin running. But it is pretty seamless for me.

Good luck,
John

This appears to be user error. :eek:

I was working on it yesterday and noticed that there was a windows info box behind the IDE and in it I could tell windows to quit looking for a driver. Once I did that, it works like the linux machine, just slower.

Keith

I really wish I knew why Windows is so much slower to detect USB devices.

Recently I started trying to investigate with the USB protocol analyzer, but every indication is Teensy reboots quickly, and Windows sends the first get descriptor request very quickly. Then it just waits for several seconds before sending more get descriptor requests.

When I get into this farther, I'll post some packet logs. Maybe I can find someone inside Microsoft who knows when Windows is doing for those several seconds?

My Teensies (2.0) don't show this behavior. I have'nt tried Teenyduino.

FWIW, W7x64, HP laptop... Maybe it's a T3 or Arduino thing?

Jack

I am not sure if it's a T3 issue. When I got mine in the mail, I immediately tried it on my Windows 7 SP1 x64 Pro machine to test it out and didn't notice any large delays in Teensy loader for BETA 8. It worked pretty quickly, IIRC it took longer to compile the application than it took to transfer it over and reboot in the loader application. I have not tried my 2.0 on this same set up, though. The machine I tried it on is a dual core AMD Desktop, USB 2.0 supported only. FWIW I did NOT install the serial installer on this box since it's not my main development machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back