Cannot select v3.0 board in Arduino 23

Status
Not open for further replies.

raypope

I'm having issues with being able to select the version 3.0 Teensy board in the IDE.

I have installed a fresh copy of Arduino 23 along with Teensyduion from

http://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_112/teensyduino.exe

During installation everything goes as per the website example.

When I launch A_23 and click on Tools it takes 3-5 minutes for the listing to appear, once it appears, the Teensy 3.0 board is not one of the selection items.

Upon inspection of the text file installed under 'hardware' there are no entries for any 3.0 boards made. The file is 'boards' located here \\ARDUINO RUNTIME 23\hardware\teensy

Have I done something incorrect here?

Teensy 3.0 is only supported on Arduino 1.0.3.

Quite a few things changed between Arduino 0023 and Arduino 1.0. If you read through the Teensy 2.0 code, you'll see there is a lot of work to make it run on both. Lots of #ifdef checks in the code, especially in anything using Print.h. Teensy 3.0's code does not have any of that stuff. It was simply not designed to be backwards compatible to those older Arduino versions.

Likewise, Teensy 3.0 requires quite a few patches to the Arduino IDE to run the ARM compiler instead of the AVR compiler. That work too was only done on the newer versions of Arduino. So even if you add a boards.txt entry for Teensy 3.0, it can not work on Arduino 0023 because all that other stuff is missing within the IDE.

For Teensy 3.0, you must use Arduino 1.0.3. It will never be supported on those older versions of Arduino.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back