Multiple power supplies

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjcomp

Hello,

I plan to control a couple of 12V motors and a 5V Motor (in a pump) with teensy3. What would be the best way to go about having access to these voltages. By default I envision a power cable from 110V outlet connected to two power adapters (one for 5V and one for 12V). I would use output from 5V adapter to supply power to teensy and 5V motor and the other adapter will feed power on A4988 Stepper Motor Driver Carrier, which will drive the motor. Is there a better alternative, such as having a single circuit that could provide both voltages? I do not need both voltages active in my circuit at the same time, so maybe I can get a variable power supply that can be controlled by teensy? Any suggestions.

Thanks,
Alexander

If relay speed is not a consideration, I would look into sourcing a relay board with built-in optocouplers. They are inexpensive, plentiful, etc. and provide convenient terminals to interface with. If you need to switch power on and off several times a second, you'd have to consider something solid state, like a MOSFet. Not my area of expertise.

Ideally, the Teensy and the board/motor power will be 100% separate - hence my suggestion re: a opto-coupler. Inductive kickbacks, etc. can't hurt your Teensy as a result. Relay boards include terminals to interface with, so I'd stay away from line power and provide low-voltage power to the relay board instead. All terminals on the board will be electrically separate, so you can have one power supply per device, minimizing interference between them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back