How to enable/disable Bluetooth module using digital pin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Experimentalist

Hi

For the next part of my project I am using a Bluetooth module:

http://www.lctech-inc.com/Hardware/Detail.aspx?id=684fb223-1a23-4b83-8dbd-4d58c2b3c0cb

I have connected this to the hardware serial port 1 of the Teensy 3.0 I am using and can send and recieve without issue. What I would now like to be able to do is turn the module on or off using a digital pin when I can not easily access it in its enclosure.

My project currently uses a TFT display with touch screen and also a micro SD card using the PJRC adaptor. I think, at a glance, I am now down to my last two digital pins so after this I have little room for adding much else.

The connections to the Bluetooth module are simply as follows:

GND
TXD
RXD
KEY

I am using this to display debug output using Bluetooth and have it connected to the Teensy 3.0 as follows:

GND - Teensy 3.0 GND
For power, either/or (Both work):
3.3 - Teensy 3.3V
or
5.0 - Teensy Vin
RXD - Teensy 3.0 TX1 (Pin 1)

So rather than connecting the power to 3.3V or Vin I would like to drive it from a digital pin. I guess I need to use a transistor to switch the module but I am unsure and I am looking to the community for guidance. It is a long time since I had to switch my mind to such things and I find a void between my ears.

What I am looking for is what components I would need and the circuit diagram. My guess is just a transistor and maybe a resistor or is there a pin capable of supplying the required current? Specifcation seems to show "working current: pairing 20 ~ 30MA, paired 8MA."

Can you help?

I would try using a PNP transistor. A 2N3906 or similar should work. Connect the emitter to +3.3V from the Teensy, the collector to +3.3 volts on the bluetooth module. Connect the base to a 4.7k resistor, and the other side of the resistor to the digital pin that will control the power.

To turn the module on, use digitalWrite(pin, LOW). Use Serial.begin() after the module is powered up. You might need a delay before actually communicating, if the module takes time to start up.

To turn the module off, first use Serial.end(), and then digitalWrite(pin, HIGH) to turn the transistor off. It's important to first call Serial.end(), so the 2 signals do not try to drive a voltage into the module when you shut the power off.

If the RX and TX pins do not go to zero volts when the power is off, you might try using pinMode and digitalWrite on those pins to force them to zero volts.

Last edited:
You could also try using a P-channel mosfet. Most of them require 5 or 10 volts on their gate. You'll need one that works with only 3.3 volts. The FDV304P is a good choice. Connect it the same way, where emitter = source, collector = drain, and base = gate. For very small mosfets like the FDV304P, the 4.7K resistor is not necessary (but will work fine if used). For larger mosfets that have huge gate capacitance, you do need a resistor to limit the current when turning the transitor on and off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back