Additions to official documentation for the Teensy 3

pht

Running Windows 8, so I guess some of you already know where this is going.

Installed the Teensyduino stuff, though didn't really start working with my Teensy 3. Mainly because most of my designs were sort of in-progress, so I didn't want to change such a huge variable mid-way.

Finished a couple so thought of trying them on the Teensy. Flashed them no problem. They worked perfectly, except for any USB Serial output. No COM port was detected, so no serial monitoring (Arduino built-in or Putty). I first thought it had something to do with my code and how the Teensy handles serial.

Finally figured out that the main issue all along was the stupid driver signing requirement with Windows 8. Rebooted with driver signing turned off and installed one of the inf files that Paul posted on these forums, cdc_acm_class.inf (posted here with a txt extension).

That did it.

Guess the docs should include this eventuality for people running W8, regarding driver signing having to be turned off.

FWIW, what are the requirements to get your drivers signed? Even Arduino has this issue. I don't want to use my work laptop running W7 for these issues, though it's a one-time requirement so I'm good for now.

Cheers!

Disregard, I'm blind.

Though improving the directions and putting them on a proper webpage could be used as a suggestion ;)

I'm planning to make the installer specifically check for Windows 8 and show a message about needing to reboot if the driver isn't installed.

Long-term, I might write a better driver (the one built in to all versions of Windows is not very good... not nearly as stable as the Mac and Linux drivers). When/if that ever happens, I guess I'll go through the WHQL process?!

Back