Building a virtual gaming system

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to build a data glove for use with a virtual reality system that I'm in the process of designing. The projects that inspired my ideas are Virtusphere (The concept behind my project, but done in a more cost effective way and lower profile so people can use it in their house) and Keyglove. Keyglove inspired my idea on how I can feasibly have people interact with a game inside my system's sphere. The HMD (Head Mounted Display) will be third party.

OK, so now that you have some background information on the project, I have a couple situations I want to resolve before I start work on the project. The sphere will be a 7' aluminum ball and as wireless devices will be used inside the sphere, I need to make the sphere act like an antenna for ALL wireless devices in the sphere. My solution to this right now is that I'll have a metal strip attached to the base of the unit where the sphere spins on and I'll attach the whip antenna of an XBee to the metal strip. This in theory should allow the ball to become a much larger XBee antenna. The XBee's connected to the adapter board. The adapter board's connected to the Teensy 3.0. The Teensy 3.0's connected via USB to the computer. Oh, here the word of the lord! lol I'll have a wireless XDOF (Maybe 3DOF?) system included as well. This means the XDOF and hand sensor will be routed wirelessly through the sphere (antenna) and will be talking to a single Teensy. Will that work? I don't know if the XBee and Teensy can handle parallel wireless signals and how I'd go about doing that.

The other thing I have to wonder is, if I use a wireless HMD and route it's wireless data through the sphere as well, would the signal still be OK? I'm hoping we can have the XBee use identifiers like how MACs identify different components of a wireless network. I just need some way to separate all the signals. The HMD I'm thinking will be the least of my concerns in that it'll most likely not be using the same frequency as I can probably choose XBees that work on a different frequency.

Also, with the wireless devices inside of the sphere, Teensy won't require power from the USB port, correct? I can just give it power through other means?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back