OctoWS2811 Processing Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

sam

I am running Win7 64 bit, and trying to use Processing to run Movie2Serial to play movies on some LEDs. Processing is giving me weird java errors. Something is wrong with the rxtx. Some kind of Java problem. I've run into this problem before when trying to use Processing in the past. Is there an alternative to using Processing to play videos on my LEDs? Maybe something that isn't based on Java?

Processing is giving me weird java errors.

You could post those errors here.....

Is there an alternative to using Processing to play videos on my LEDs? Maybe something that isn't based on Java?

I recently built similar code in C to run on a Beaglebone.

http://www.dorkbotpdx.org/blog/paul/maker_faire_2013

The C source code is at the end of that blog article.

However, this code isn't nearly as flexible... it doesn't read the geometry info and has this particular display info hard-coded. But you could change the code if you like.

@PaulStoffregen Is it possible to use a single pin to output to 8 or 16 rows of strips, when height is 16,24,32 it does 2,3,4 per pin would be nice to lower the amount of wiring.

No, that's not feasible.

That's a strip length of 960 LEDs. The required buffers are:

Code:
DMAMEM int displayMemory[ledsPerStrip*6];
int drawingMemory[ledsPerStrip*6];

Even if you omit the drawing buffer, the display buffer would be 23040 bytes. But the chip only has 16K of RAM.

You could try Adafruit's Neopixel library. It will tie up the CPU while updating, but at least it will work with the available memory.

I fixed my problem with Processing. I downloaded the 2.0b9 release for Win32 and movie2serial worked. If anyone else has the same problem, maybe this will help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back