breakout/shield for prototyping/testing: feedback please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

batchku

Hello,
I develop Maxuino, a connection arduinos and Cycling '74's Max. We're about to release a major update. In the process, I've sketched out a breakout board for the teensy2 or teensy2++ (plans for teensy3 also) serves two purposes:
-Make it easier to connect LEDs, SERVOs and SENSORs to the teensy
-Facilitate testing of multiple input/multiple output scenarios
-Provide a connector for external power (for powering the teensy, or servos/steppers/motors)

I'm partly inspired by things like the Modern Device BBLeo or available IO Shields for the Arduino Nano like this one from RobotShop.

There are two simple boards:
-Teensy-Maxuino-Master: expose all teensy2/teensy2++ pins as 4-pin connectors, along with Ground, VCC and V_Ext
Screen Shot 2013-06-01 at 8.21.34 PM.png
-Teensy-Maxuino-Slave: simple tester with 3-pin servo/analog-sensor, 1xLED, 1xBUTTON
Screen Shot 2013-06-01 at 8.22.07 PM.png

I'm planning on additional slaves for:
-Stepper driving using the EZDriver or the Pololu A4988 (uses two pins from teensy)
-Dual bidirectional motor driving using Pololu DRV8833

I'm planning on sharing all designs as freely/opensource through my lab (ArtFab @ CMU)

I'm looking for guidance, suggestions, requests, or ideas on this project.
Would be delighted to hear from anyone out there with common interests.

Thanks in advance,

Ali

Also, I should add a mention about a mod to that analog circuit. I added a capacitor in parallel to the 100K resistor. For extremely fast PWM, that low-pass filters the input to within the bandwidth of the opamp, so you still get a perfectly corresponding analog current in the LED.

Ali,

When you get to the Teensy 3 version it would useful to add an interdigitated, finger sized array (covered in solder mask) for testing
the capacitance measurement features of that chip.

Hi Ali,
I am a bit late to the party here but I just want to congratulate you on Maxuino, how great it is and also say that I think your idea of a testing board is great. I would say that making one for the Teensy 3.0 would be a great idea because I (and a few others) already use the teensy 3.0 with maxuino and I think people are shifting away from the 2.0. I'd love to know what is going to be different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back