Why would I want a teensy 2 instead of 3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, about to order my first teensy, is there any reason one would prefer a 2 or 2++ to a 3? In my case it's for a POV project that will drive about 144 leds off a battery in a very small form factor.

thanks!
Iain

The main advantages of Teensy 2.0 are strong 5 volt output signals and better compatibility with obscure Arduino libraries that have hard-coded dependencies on AVR timers. If you find such a library that doesn't compile or work with Teensy3, please do post a detailed message (and search this forum... many of them are already fixed). Teensy 2.0 is also slightly smaller and a few dollars cheaper.

Teensy++ 2.0 has a LOT of pins, which can be useful for building MIDI controllers and other projects where you want to connect a lot of stuff. There are many complex ways to connect many signals to a small number of pins on the smaller boards, but if you're just trying to just a project working, the simplest approach is to just get the board with enough I/O pins.

Just today I wanted to test an idea where I had to drive a few blue LEDs. I have both T2 and T3 boards, but for this, the T2 could drive the LEDs directly. All I needed was one series resistor per LED; that saved me having to wire up separate FET drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back