Newbie confused about Teensyduino, Teensyloader and halfKay

Status
Not open for further replies.

rkovvur

I recently purchased the teensy3.0 from Sparkfun. I use Ardunio and i wanted something with more speed and memory. I also wanted to get into ARM programming.

I just finished loading the updated blink program. This is so that i know that the board is alive.

But during that process I figured i did not understand the Teensy3.0 loading process very well.

Note: I have already installed the teensyduino software on my PC.

So i plugged in the teensy. The default LED blink program started running. My PC also found a virtual COM port. I selected the com port and Teensy3 in my Arduino (1.05). I used the teensy LED blink example and changed the blink rate. Clicked on upload. But i got a message at the end of the upload tries saying that i need to press the button on the board.

So i press the button. The LED goes OFF. Then PC says it is installing a new software. Then i try upload again. Now another window, teensyloader opened up and program got uploaded.

So my questions are :

1: Everytime i upload a new program should i first press the button on the board ? Or can i uload without pushing the button each time.
2: When teensyduino connects to the PC it first shows up as a Vcom port. When i press the button and Halfkay loads, what is teensy now emulating on the USB ?
3: Does the HalfKay bootloader reside on the ARM chip ?
4: I felt that uploading process took longer than my uno uploading. First the Ardunio uploading. Then teensyloader uploading. Is this normal or am i doing something wrong.

I would really appreciate any help in clearing my confusion.

1: Everytime i upload a new program should i first press the button on the board ? Or can i uload without pushing the button each time.

Usually you can upload without pressing the button, but that depends on your computer being able to find and communicate with the board, to request a reboot. If there's a problem on either side that interferes with communication, then you need to press the button.

The sounds like Windows.... The first couple times, the New Hardware Wizard adds some delays and shows those yellow alert bubbles. After it "knows" the devices, those delays go away.

2: When teensyduino connects to the PC it first shows up as a Vcom port. When i press the button and Halfkay loads, what is teensy now emulating on the USB ?

When you press the button, Teensy disconnects from the USB, the same as if you'd unplugged the cable. When the bootloader begins, it appears to your PC as a custom HID device. Teensy Loader talks to that to upload your code. At the end of the upload when your board reboots again, it again disconnects and then reconnects while running your program. The setting in Tools > USB Type determines what type of device it will reconnect as...

3: Does the HalfKay bootloader reside on the ARM chip ?

It's stored in the Mini54 chip on the board.

4: I felt that uploading process took longer than my uno uploading. First the Ardunio uploading. Then teensyloader uploading. Is this normal or am i doing something wrong.

Sometimes Windows is slow to detect USB devices. Sometimes it's fast. It seems to be related to the New Hardware Wizard. The first couple times are always very slow while that Wizard does stuff. With some USB Types it's fast, with others it's always slow. I've looked at the USB communication with a protocol analyzer and the packets clearly show Teensy always responds fast. Why Windows add such long delays in some cases (but not others) is still a mystery.

Mac and Linux are always fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back