OctoWS2811 w/VideoDisplay able to run on less than 8 strips properly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

samy

Hi all!

OctoWS2811 is awesome! Works great. However I'd like to only run 6 data lines to my LED strips (6 Teensy pins instead of 8) if possible for the VideoDisplay app -- any ideas on if this is possible easily? I'm only running 888 LEDs across 6 strips evenly.

Is it trivial to adjust this without having to adjust the lower level timing pieces?

Thanks!

It's trivial to use only 6 of the 8 pins and simply "waste" the other 2.

Changing the library to only use 6 pins (and not waste memory for the other 2) is virtually impossible.

I'm happy to "waste" the other 2 as your library is already so efficient and processes at great speeds with the current setup I have, I'm just having a bit of trouble getting VideoDisplay to display the full frame within the 6 pins.

Here's a link with my attempted updates to the VideoDisplay Teensy+Processing code, including .diff files for easier looking. I defined WS2811_PINS to 6 in OctoWS2811.h:
http://samy.pl/VideoDisplay/

Unfortunately I get a lot of intermittent incorrect color updates, it seems every other frame, where I don't get this issue when I make it believe I have 8 pins connected (though I lose 25% of the screen). Is this an error in my updated Processing code perhaps?

Looking forward to also releasing some examples for this when done! I'm using RaspPi (may switch to Beaglebone) to control several Teensys, and a separate machine wirelessly to send data with a Kinect as well as TouchOSC/Lemur for some fun controls as well!

While trying to resolve this in a different way, I believe there's a bug in movie2serial.pde:
ledLayout[numPorts] = (Integer.parseInt(param[5]) == 0);

Shouldn't that be:
ledLayout[numPorts] = (Integer.parseInt(param[2]) == 0);

since I think it's the 3rd param containing the layout (LED_LAYOUT), not the 6th (VIDEO_XOFFSET)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back