Teensy 3.0 Project: Twitter Taxi - Come see it in LA next week (11/21)

Status
Not open for further replies.

digital11

So my first project with the Teensy is launching on Thursday 11/21, and anyone in the LA area is welcome to come out and see it. We're doing a promotional party for [redacted since video is posted], and featured on site will be a 1922 Checker Cab wired up with WS2811's dancing to music requested via Twitter. Will post vids/pics after the party.

The taxi will be at The Brig in Venice, 6pm on the 21st. Should be a fun time.

Technical details:
  • 5 Teensy's running OctoWS2811 (Probably went a little overboard here, as I wanted the Teensy's as close to the strips as possible, so I'm not using OctoWS2811 to its fullest, but I'm sure PJRC doesn't mind :p)
  • Ableton Live/Max4Live/Jitter handling the music playing & video generation. Wrote a serial external for Max that basically generates a bytestream formatted for OctoWS2811 from a jit.matrix, so any video can be piped in realtime to the Teensy's, with whatever fx/beat syncing is desired (Major props to nlecaude for the foundational work on this.)
  • Custom OSX app to monitor Twitter, queue up the requested songs, and update a tv display showing the song queue, available songs, and currently playing song.

Last edited:
Here's a crappy demo video of the final test of the whole system today (people tweeting song requests live, and being played automatically with the strips lighting up to the music). Flying out Sunday night to start the installation:

That's 12 5-meter (30 led/m) strips, running on 5 teensys. The strips don't light up full length because they're spatially mapped in MaxMSP to what their physical location will be on the car itself when installed. I'm pretty happy with how the whole thing is turning out. Can't wait to see it on the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back