Oh no, not another ARM microcontroller with built-in Python.

Status
Not open for further replies.

t3andy

Oh no, not another ARM microcontroller with built-in Python.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/214379695/micro-python-python-for-microcontrollers

This Micro Python STM ARM microcontroller sleeps @ 25 ma! <-------- WOW:eek:
You need uA NOT mA for decent battery operation. The Teensy 3 uses < 250 uA! :)

He is also using the Wifi CC3000 chip - TI better get their hardware firmware in order ASAP or
the Tessel, Espruino, Micro Python and Spark Core will have major problems.:mad:

Last edited:
Excluding Linux boards, this is the only python capable board I have seen.
I sure wish the guy had gone with python v2.7 rather than bleeding edge v3. That is a deal killer for me.
Promised for mar 2014.

A lower cost Linux board is more appealing and runs both versions of python.

Strange both the JavaScript Espruino and the Micro Python Kickstarter projects originate in the same city in the UK.
Must be family members.:confused:

I suppose there is a reason to have a MCU running Python.

But I have yet to understand what it is, however. I don't get why people have to keep reinventing the wheel rather than extending a platform the way that Paul has. Teensy software and hardware additions have consistently pushed the boundaries of what Arduinos can do. Just think of how much time is saved when one can take advantage of generously-shared knowledge vs. having to acquire / develop it oneself.

Strange both the JavaScript Espruino and the Micro Python Kickstarter projects originate in the same city in the UK.
Must be family members.:confused:

Well given the city is Cambridge, I would imagine it presumably due to use of python in the computer courses at the University of Cambridge (founded in 1209, 3rd oldest still in operation after Bologna and Oxford). In the 1970's at the other Cambridge (i.e in Massachusetts, USA which is the home of Harvard and MIT), had a lot of spin-offs of LISP based machines, because LISP was so popular at MIT.

I do tend to wonder why you would need a special python machine, and not just use python on top of something like rasberry pi.

Last edited:
This microcontroller is one of the more powerful ones available, and was chosen so that Micro Python
could run at its full potential. The microcontroller is clocked at 168 MHz and has 1 MiB flash and 192 KiB RAM,
which is plenty for writing complex Python scripts.

The Micro Python designer provided ample resources to his Micro Python STM ARM microcontroller but by having 25 mA of "idle" sleep current many astute users will not buy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back