Teensyduino 1.17 Release Candidate #3 Available (Windows Only)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul

Administrator
Staff member
Here is a second release candidate for Teensyduino 1.17:

Old beta download links removed. Please use the latest version:
https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_download.html

Please give this a try and report any bugs. Try to include a sample program that reproduces the problem!

Here's a list of the changes since Teensyduino 1.17-rc2:

• USB Serial driver signature (should now install on Windows 8 without reboot)
  • Installer signature
  • Installer tries to find Arduino and automatically select its location

Installed with no problems. But it did install the USB driver again. It found my arduino installation in C:\arduino-1.0.5

Pete

On my laptop (Win7 Pro x64) where I have never run the Arduino installer, but have a copy of Arduino-1.0.4+TD1.15 on D:/Arduino) the installer first told me to re-run it with admin privs as it claimed to need to re-install the driver; then once I had done that it suggested C:/Users/Chris/Documents/ as a suitable location (yes with forward slashes). Ignoring that suggestion, I could then navigate to my Arduino install (but the next button was greyed out, presumably it really does need 1.0.5).

On my main machine (Win7 Home x64) same deal with suggesting C:/Users/Chris/Documents/ except this time there was indeed an Arduino folder there, empty except for libraries, which was empty except for readme.txt which explains how to install "additional Arduino libraries". I guess an Arduino installer had created those directories at some point. The next button was still greyed out because there is nothing else there. I navigated to C:/Program Files (x86)/Arduino/ but next was still greyed out, must be an older version. Finally F:/Arduino which contains three installs, arduino-1.5 (from when i got my Due) which was greyed out, arduino-1.0.4-teensyduino113 which was also greyed out on the next button and (the actual one I use) arduino-105-td114 where it was happy to install (as the name implies this has had teensyduino put into it a number of times, it actually has teensyduino 1.16 but I kept the name so that the association with Arduino.exe would still work).
I installed all the libraries. It works.

By the way its a shame that in the IDE, "Help > About Arduino" is not updated (or an "About Teensyduino added").

By the way its a shame that in the IDE, "Help > About Arduino" is not updated (or an "About Teensyduino added").

That's a great idea. I've added it to my list for 1.18. I really want to release 1.17 on Sunday or Monday, so there just isn't time to touch any IDE code for 1.17.

I just installed it on Win 7 Home 64 bit, I had to run the installer as Admin, I skipped the USB driver install and everything installed o.k. I don't have my teensy here on hand just now, but all else appears to work. installer found C:/programfiles (x86) just fine

Cheers Kb

Last edited:
I just tested on an XP VM. The installer tried to look at my "My Documents / Arduino" folder instead of "program files \ Arduino" but other than that no issues.

I'm one that has never used 'my documents' for anything.
I put stuff in organized folder by topic/project, and mostly on my NAS not my PC.
All the apps I have, including MS Office, other development tools, etc. do not use the 'my documents' folder.

Here's a description of what's in the installer now:

First, it tries these directories, in this order.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino
C:\Program Files (x86)\arduino-1.0.5
C:\Program Files\Arduino
C:\Program Files\arduino-1.0.5
C:\Users\username\Desktop\arduino-1.0.5
C:\Users\username\Documents\arduino-1.0.5
C:\arduino-1.0.5

If one of these matches the signature of a supported Arduino IDE (eg, the "Next" button would enable), it's used as the starting point.

The first 6 do NOT have the pathname hard-coded. Instead, the WIN32 function SHGetSpecialFolderPath() is called, with CSIDL_PROGRAM_FILESX86, CSIDL_PROGRAM_FILES, CSIDL_DESKTOPDIRECTORY, CSIDL_PERSONAL, and then either "Arduino" or "arduino-1.0.5" is appended.

If all 7 of those attempts file, then SHGetSpecialFolderPath() is called with CSIDL_PERSONAL to get the starting point. The should default to Documents or My Documents.

If SHGetSpecialFolderPath() is unsuccessful, then the starting point is "C:/".

In my testing so far, running Arduino's installer always ended up installing to C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino, at least on my machine. The ZIP file extracts to "arduino-1.0.5"

I personally don't use Windows, so I'm really looking to you guys for feedback on where the Arduino IDE would commonly be located by most people using Windows.

Ideally, the installer's list of locations to search could find it for most people, so location chooser would start initialized to the correct directory and the Next button would be enabled.

Of course, it's not hard to navigate to where you put Arduino on your machine. If you're the kind of person who makes conscious decisions about where to locate things, then you almost certainly know where to select.

It's the extreme novice users, who don't have a solid mental map of their computer's filesystem, who this is really meant to help. if they just do things the "normal" way, the installer should manage to find the Arduino IDE, even if they don't know where it is. At least that's the ideal.

It's the extreme novice users, who don't have a solid mental map of their computer's filesystem, who this is really meant to help. if they just do things the "normal" way, the installer should manage to find the Arduino IDE, even if they don't know where it is. At least that's the ideal.
A good point (but by asking in this forum you are not asking those people; and by definition, asking those people would give either incorrect answers/guesses or "I don't know").

The first four paths look at where the the Arduino installer might have put it.

If the intent is to find where the no-installer zip might have been extracted, then C:\Users\username\Downloads\arduino-1.0.5 would be the first place to look (if they unzipped it in the default download directory).

My vote: default to c:\Aurduinoxxx
And give user option to choose some other location - and they must remember where.

Couple of days late, but....
On my Win XP machine:
1. the installer wanted to reinstall the USB drivers ( I let it)
2. found the true installation directory "c:/Program Files/Arduino" without help from me
3. encountered an ERROR!! when I inadvertently had Arduino running while installing, reran & loaded fine

In other words, it loaded fine when I didn't get in the way.

I'll be doing my Win7 machine the next day or so, but I expect no difficulties

Lyle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back