Forum Email Notification of New Private Messages

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pointy

I have had a couple of private messages over the last week and have not received an email notification even though it's turned on.

Is anyone else getting the notification emails?

Regards,

Les

I haven't been getting any notification emails since the server swap many weeks ago (back when the forum got DDOS'd). I tried resubscribing some threads, but it was no help, they just aren't working.

Ok, it might _finally_ be working, I hope? Going to delete these many tests.

I am subscribed to this thread, but I have not had an email notification.

That's probably because it send a prior notification, which you never got. The notifications are designed so you won't get more than 1 message until you click the link. It's a feature to prevent your inbox from get filled up with redundant notifications from a highly active thread.

Try clicking this link to reset your notifications on this thread:

http://forum.pjrc.com/threads/24971-Forum-Email-Notification-of-New-Private-Messages?goto=newpost

Looks like you can append "?goto=newpost" to a thread link to reset your notifications on that thread. Maybe?

Great. Thanks for the feedback.

In case anyone's curious, the problem turned out to be our mail server not allowing "relay" permission for the forum. Previously we had the forum hosted on the same server, where the mail server allowed it to send messages. But this forum software can put quite a load on the server. Spammers were (unsuccessfully) hitting the forum with rapid password guessing bots, which caused the whole site to slow to a crawl under the excessive load from the forum.

We got a whole new dedicated server, just for this forum. The hosting company is HiVelocity, and I must say, their service and network performance have been excellent, and their pricing was very competitive. I had intended to install some sort of anti-bot measures on the new server, and I still might, but so far the new machine has been able to easily handle the forum's load (it's tremendously faster than our old server), even when bots hit it rapidly. The new server has a solid state drive and a lot more RAM, so I was able to turn on php opcode caching. Extra RAM seems to make mysql much happier too.

However, the old server wasn't allowing the new forum server to send emails. That's apparently the standard configuration in these modern spammer times. I'm a hardware engineer and device-level software developer, not an "IT Professional", so it took me a while to dig through the server logs to discover the problem. It turned out to be as "easy" as just adding the new server's IP number to the list of hosts trusted to send email. I also added the forum our SPF record, so anti-spam software that checks SPF will know the forum is a legitimate email source.

Sorry this took so long to fix. Releasing Teensy 3.1 and recently the audio library have been consuming all my engineering time. I'm just now starting to catch up to a long backlog of "minor" issues.

I'm going to close this thread now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back