Reset button and Serial port issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichardFerraro

My reset button causes the Teensy 3.1 to restart at setup() each and every time as evident by the blinking led.

HOWEVER, no Serial.print(...) statements function after reset button. This seems to be the case for Serial1 and Serial2 as well.

I am running arduino 1.0.5-r2, Windows 7.

Thank you,

Richard Ferraro

#include <Arduino.h>

const int led = LED_BUILTIN;
int iter;
int periodBlink = 10;

void setup(){
Serial.begin(9600);
pinMode(led, OUTPUT);

iter=0;

Serial.println("Start");
}

void loop()
{
digitalWrite(led, HIGH); delay(periodBlink);
digitalWrite(led, LOW); delay(periodBlink);
periodBlink += 20;

Serial.println("loop: "); Serial.println(iter++);
}

HOWEVER, no Serial.print(...) statements function after reset button.

Windows has a known bug with "surprise removal" of USB serial devices.

You must close the Arduino Serial Monitor (or whatever terminal emulator you're running) before pressing the button.

This same bug affects official Arduino boards too. Here's a video I made for some people at Microsoft who said (months ago) they would look into it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRmvUsa2xuU

This should not apply to Serial1 and Serial2, which are real hardware serial ports. Of course, without the code and details on how you're testing, there's nothing more I can do other than this comment that they're physical serial ports.

Windows has a known bug with "surprise removal" of USB serial devices.

THANKS,

You must close the Arduino Serial Monitor (or whatever terminal emulator you're running) before pressing the button.

I FOUND THIS TO BE CORRECT

This same bug affects official Arduino boards too. Here's a video I made for some people at Microsoft who said (months ago) they would look into it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRmvUsa2xuU

I HAVE YET TO SEE THIS PROBLEM WITH ARDUINO AND I HAVE USED MANY. I TRUST YOU THAT IT IS THERE.

This should not apply to Serial1 and Serial2, which are real hardware serial ports. Of course, without the code and details on how you're testing, there's nothing more I can do other than this comment that they're physical serial ports.

SERIAL1 and SERIAL2 WERE CONNECTED TO XBEE AND BLUETOOTH GOING BACK TO COMPUTER USB PORTS SO SAME BEHAVIOR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back