Having 2 versions of IDE and 2 similar libraries?

Status
Not open for further replies.

awardblvr

Does anyone know how I can have two different versions of the Arduino IDE (for Teensy development, and Yún development) and have 2 libraries with the same named objects in them?

on my Mac:

Arduino/libraries/RF24 (with RF24.cpp, RF24.h, etc... and RF24 objects)
Arduino/libraries/RF24_FOR_TEENSY (with RF24.cpp, RF24.h, etc... and RF24 objects, but slightly hacked)

Or is there a better way altogether?

Thanks!

Does anyone know how I can have two different versions of the Arduino IDE (for Teensy development, and Yún development) and have 2 libraries with the same named objects in them?
I have both Arduino 1.05, and Arduino 1.5.5 installed on my system now (Linux). I just download the archives from arduino.cc and unarchive them - they automatically go into different directories. I have separate sets of libraries for each version, because the user libraries go into your sketch directory. You define different sketch directories for each version of the IDE in Files->Preferences.

8-Dale

You can have many different versions (or indeed copies of the same version) of the Arduino IDE installed at the same time. However, for those operating systems that associate a particular file type with a particular executable program, only one of those will be the one that gets executed (if for example yodouble click on a .ino sketch). If you execute Arduino.exe directly, from one of your installations, that is the one that will run. So you can always run any one you want, as long as you run it directly.

Each of those installations can have a Teensyduino installed on top (or not).

The libraries that are installed with the Arduino IDE or added by Teensyduino directly can be different for each install. For example, you could have two installations that are identical except that one of them has a hacked version of a library (with the same name, but with changes you are testing). Note though that it is also possible to have libraries installed in a libraries subdirectory of your sketches folder. If you have one sketches folder for all your installations (which his common) then all installations will share the sketches/libraries folder. Fine if that is what you want. if you don't, your options are to put the libraries directly under each install, or alternatively to have multiple sketch folders.

OK thanks... I see now that I can create a separate Arduino directory for each install (and have preferences point to the appropriate one.)

But you say:

your options are to put the libraries directly under each install,

Can you please explain this? That sounds close to what I want. But on my Mac.. .The package gets installed wherever it is under Applications... and the Arduino dir usually gets put under

/Users/<my_user_id>/Documents/Arduino/​

which is common to either installation of the app.

It would be cool if I could just specify which library I want by the header file selection (#include files) and not have the IDE search every library under Arduino/libraries. If there is any way to do this, please advise. (i.e. manually specify INCDIRS, CFLAGS=-I/directory/to/add, or LIBDIR, etc.)

That seems to be a difference between Mac and Windows/Linux versions then (so someone with a mac should advise you further).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back