Teensy controlled LEGO train?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrDyne

Heyoo!

I'm kind of an electronics noob. I know the basics of the parts, what they are called, and what they do. But I have no clue how to put them together to make something that doesn't let the magic smoke out.

Does anyone know a good safe way to tap into a LEGO train's speed controller circuit board so the Teensy can control the trains speed?
My guess would be to use transistors and I/O pins on the teensy to turn on the different resistors that go to the voltage controller? Problem is I don't know hot to safely test or do that. I don't want to put 12 volts though the Teensy by accident.

Here's pictures of the circuit board.

ltco1.jpg

ltco2.jpg

Pretty simple of a circuit board, AC to DC rectifier, capacitor to filter the noise, and a voltage controller.
The train is 9 -12 volts. (Original power supply was 12 volts.) I've been using a small 12 volt lead acid battery I pulled out of a dead UPS to power the train.

The capacitor is a 25v 2200μF(M) and the voltage controller is a JM28AR LM317T P+ Datasheet. Of the blue resistors they are mostly 0.45kΩ with a single 0.47kΩ and 0.66kΩ in there.

I'll solder or unsolder anything to/on the circuit board. I also have a large dev board and a box of spare lose electronics and lots of those dev board wires.

~MrDyne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back