Structure of code affects performance?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

onehorse

I've been testing various motion sensor fusion devices and algorithms with Arduino and ARM processors and have encountered a curious (for me) result. With AVR processors (8 MHz Pro Mini and 16 MHz Uno), the sensor fusion rates are about the same no matter which sensor (MPU-9x50, LSM9DS0, GY-80, etc.) I use. However, with the ARM processors (Teensy 3.1 and STM32F401, the sensor fusion rate is 2 to 4 times faster when using the LSM9DS0 sensor compared to the others. There is nothing inherently faster in the hardware that I can detect. Instead I suspect the difference is due to the structure of the sketch employed in each case.

For the LSM9DS0, I am using Jim Lindblom's Sparkfun library which uses a constructor to create an instance of an LSM9DS0 class, with .cpp and .h library files, etc. in what I understand to be the traditional C-programming style. For all the other sensors I am using Arduino sketches I wrote which simply call void xxx() like subroutines all in the same .ino file.

Yesterday I tested this suspicion by creating a constructor library for a working MPU-6050 IMU sketch to run on an STM32F401 at 84 Mhz. I broke the Arduino sketch into a library .h file with all the void routines and simply called the routine in the main file. All the functionality is the same, it's just organized differently. To my amazement, I am getting sensor fusion update rate differences between the two approaches of a factor of 5! With the Arduino sketch I get update rates of about 950 Hz, which is very similar to what I am getting (890 Hz) using the Teensy 3.1 at 96 MHz. With the constructor library approach I am getting sensor fusion update rates closer to 5000 Hz! I will verify that Teensy 3.1 performs in the same way tonight, but I have no reason to believe it won't since I am already getting 2000 Hz using the Teensy 3.1 and the LSM9DS0 constructor library; the rate should be slower than 5000 Hz since there is a magnetometer on the LSM9DS0.

My question for all the ARM experts out there is why does the packaging of the code matter for ARM performance?

I had thought that the trouble of reforming all of my Arduino sketches into a more conventional C-programming library was just a style issue that I could live without. If it is a performance issue, of which I am becoming convinced, the reformation for ARM processors is mandatory (for me).

Please help me understand why this matters for the ARM architecture. Thanks!

why does the packaging of the code matter for ARM performance?

Only this change really should not make such a huge difference.

There's almost certainly some other factor at play here. Even with the exact code for 2 cases, truly analyzing the code could take quite a lot of work. But if you don't post the exact code, who could even begin to guess the true cause?

I was hoping there would be a straightforward, non-code-specific reason for this. I will repeat the experiment on the Teensy 3.1 tonight and post the two versions of the code with the results. Thanks.

Excellent Christoph! This makes a lot of sense to me and offers a possible explanation. I will post the results and the two code examples as planned, but now I know what I might be looking for.

Another common issue when transitioning from AVR to ARM is the size of float and double.

On AVR, double is actually only float, always 4 bytes. The compiler and C library have absolutely no support for double precision.

On ARM, double is 64 bits.

Lots of AVR code is pretty sloppy with float vs double. For example, the trig functions sin(), cos(), tan() are double precision. If you use these, even if the inputs and outputs are float, you're telling the C library to do 64 bit double precision math... which not only requires manipulating twice as many bits, but more polynomial terms or iteration on approximation algorithms to converge to the much higher accuracy demanded by 64 bits.

Of course, this is only a vague guess, but it's one of many "straightforward, non-code-specific reasons" why performance can vary so much.

I am using trig functions. But my odd result is the 5x different run times on the same hardware (ARM processor and MPU-6050 sensor) using two different instantiations of the "same" code differently packaged. I have demonstrated this using an STM32F401 Nucleo board and want to confirm it using the Teensy 3.1. I'll post the Teensy 3.1 code versions and their respective results. I hope we all learn something from this experiment.

I am using trig functions. But my odd result is the 5x different run times on the same hardware (ARM processor and MPU-6050 sensor) using two different instantiations of the "same" code differently packaged. I have demonstrated this using an STM32F401 Nucleo board and want to confirm it using the Teensy 3.1. I'll post the Teensy 3.1 code versions and their respective results. I hope we all learn something from this experiment.

From the little I've seen in the datasheet, it looks like the STM32F401 has single precision floating point in hardware. Teensy has no hardware floating point. Thus if you use the float type instead of double, and use the floating point versions of the trig library (i.e. sinf instead of sin, cosf instead of cos, etc.), it should do the whole thing in hardware (and presumably be much faster). It could be that the compiler has been tuned like the Arduino AVR compiler, so that double is the same as float to take advantage of the hardware. It is also likely the people supplying the STM32F401 toolchain have an optimized version of the math library.

.... odd result is the 5x different run times on the same hardware (ARM processor and MPU-6050 sensor) using two different instantiations of the "same" code differently packaged. ..... I'll post the Teensy 3.1 code versions and their respective results.

I'll take a look when you post the code. Until then, I'm going to refrain from any more guessing!

Please post complete code that can actually be run. I have a FreeIMU board here with that chip, so it should be a pretty simple matter to actually try it here, as long as you post something complete that can be run as-is.

I ran the STM32F401 using the mbed compiler which uses the (is there only one?) math.h library. I am also using sin, cos, etc. I'll try switching to sinf, cosf, etc. and see if it makes a difference. I am also using float not double for both AVR and ARM processors.

I will post the complete code so anyone can run it.

It's not going to be related to the floating point math or 8- vs 64-bit double size that affects the code speed in this case. It sounds like the same code is being used whether it is encapsulated in object or procedural/function structure, and that the only real difference is the object-oriented or procudural structure that causes the increase in speed.

I can imagine that the more advanced instruction set of the ARM versus the AVR allows a sufficiently intelligent compiler to generate more efficient machine code if you use the full power of an object-oriented language.

I can imagine that the more advanced instruction set of the ARM versus the AVR allows a sufficiently intelligent compiler to generate more efficient machine code if you use the full power of an object-oriented language.
In general, object oriented languages tend to have more overhead than straight line C (but they give the user more power). It is possible to write C++ in such a fashion that the object oriented-ness overhead is minimal.

12 replies of pure speculation, without the actual code!

My guess is there'll be something substantially different, not mere C vs C++ structure, responsible for the speed change.

Update

I have some preliminary results but I am still running tests. Here is what I have found out so far. I tried to reproduce as well as possible the different sketches I was running on the mbed compiler. Here is my original Arduino sketch designed to run on the Arduino Pro Mini and Teensy 3.1:

Code:
/* MPU6050 Basic Example with IMU  
 by: Kris Winer
 date: May 10, 2014
 license: Beerware - Use this code however you'd like. If you 
 find it useful you can buy me a beer some time.

Demonstrate  MPU-6050 basic functionality including initialization, accelerometer trimming, sleep mode functionality as well as
 parameterizing the register addresses. Added display functions to allow display to on breadboard monitor. 
 No DMP use. We just want to get out the accelerations, temperature, and gyro readings.

SDA and SCL should have external pull-up resistors (to 3.3V).
 10k resistors worked for me. They should be on the breakout
 board.

Hardware setup:
 MPU6050 Breakout --------- Arduino
 3.3V --------------------- 3.3V
 SDA ----------------------- A4
 SCL ----------------------- A5
 GND ---------------------- GND

Note: The MPU6050 is an I2C sensor and uses the Arduino Wire library. 
 Because the sensor is not 5V tolerant, we are using a 3.3 V 8 MHz Pro Mini or a 3.3 V Teensy 3.1.
 We have disabled the internal pull-ups used by the Wire library in the Wire.h/twi.c utility file.
 We are also using the 400 kHz fast I2C mode by setting the TWI_FREQ  to 400000L /twi.h utility file.
 */

#include <Wire.h>
#include <Adafruit_GFX.h>
#include <Adafruit_PCD8544.h>

// Using NOKIA 5110 monochrome 84 x 48 pixel display
// pin 9 - Serial clock out (SCLK)
// pin 8 - Serial data out (DIN)
// pin 7 - Data/Command select (D/C)
// pin 5 - LCD chip select (CS)
// pin 6 - LCD reset (RST)
Adafruit_PCD8544 display = Adafruit_PCD8544(9, 8, 7, 5, 6);

// Define registers per MPU6050, Register Map and Descriptions, Rev 4.2, 08/19/2013 6 DOF Motion sensor fusion device
// Invensense Inc., www.invensense.com
// See also MPU-6050 Register Map and Descriptions, Revision 4.0, RM-MPU-6050A-00, 9/12/2012 for registers not listed in 
// above document; the MPU6050 and MPU 9150 are virtually identical but the latter has an on-board magnetic sensor
//
#define XGOFFS_TC        0x00 // Bit 7 PWR_MODE, bits 6:1 XG_OFFS_TC, bit 0 OTP_BNK_VLD                 
#define YGOFFS_TC        0x01                                                                          
#define ZGOFFS_TC        0x02
#define X_FINE_GAIN      0x03 // [7:0] fine gain
#define Y_FINE_GAIN      0x04
#define Z_FINE_GAIN      0x05
#define XA_OFFSET_H      0x06 // User-defined trim values for accelerometer
#define XA_OFFSET_L_TC   0x07
#define YA_OFFSET_H      0x08
#define YA_OFFSET_L_TC   0x09
#define ZA_OFFSET_H      0x0A
#define ZA_OFFSET_L_TC   0x0B
#define SELF_TEST_X      0x0D
#define SELF_TEST_Y      0x0E    
#define SELF_TEST_Z      0x0F
#define SELF_TEST_A      0x10
#define XG_OFFS_USRH     0x13  // User-defined trim values for gyroscope
#define XG_OFFS_USRL     0x14
#define YG_OFFS_USRH     0x15
#define YG_OFFS_USRL     0x16
#define ZG_OFFS_USRH     0x17
#define ZG_OFFS_USRL     0x18
#define SMPLRT_DIV       0x19
#define CONFIG           0x1A
#define GYRO_CONFIG      0x1B
#define ACCEL_CONFIG     0x1C
#define FF_THR           0x1D  // Free-fall
#define FF_DUR           0x1E  // Free-fall
#define MOT_THR          0x1F  // Motion detection threshold bits [7:0]
#define MOT_DUR          0x20  // Duration counter threshold for motion interrupt generation, 1 kHz rate, LSB = 1 ms
#define ZMOT_THR         0x21  // Zero-motion detection threshold bits [7:0]
#define ZRMOT_DUR        0x22  // Duration counter threshold for zero motion interrupt generation, 16 Hz rate, LSB = 64 ms
#define FIFO_EN          0x23
#define I2C_MST_CTRL     0x24   
#define I2C_SLV0_ADDR    0x25
#define I2C_SLV0_REG     0x26
#define I2C_SLV0_CTRL    0x27
#define I2C_SLV1_ADDR    0x28
#define I2C_SLV1_REG     0x29
#define I2C_SLV1_CTRL    0x2A
#define I2C_SLV2_ADDR    0x2B
#define I2C_SLV2_REG     0x2C
#define I2C_SLV2_CTRL    0x2D
#define I2C_SLV3_ADDR    0x2E
#define I2C_SLV3_REG     0x2F
#define I2C_SLV3_CTRL    0x30
#define I2C_SLV4_ADDR    0x31
#define I2C_SLV4_REG     0x32
#define I2C_SLV4_DO      0x33
#define I2C_SLV4_CTRL    0x34
#define I2C_SLV4_DI      0x35
#define I2C_MST_STATUS   0x36
#define INT_PIN_CFG      0x37
#define INT_ENABLE       0x38
#define DMP_INT_STATUS   0x39  // Check DMP interrupt
#define INT_STATUS       0x3A
#define ACCEL_XOUT_H     0x3B
#define ACCEL_XOUT_L     0x3C
#define ACCEL_YOUT_H     0x3D
#define ACCEL_YOUT_L     0x3E
#define ACCEL_ZOUT_H     0x3F
#define ACCEL_ZOUT_L     0x40
#define TEMP_OUT_H       0x41
#define TEMP_OUT_L       0x42
#define GYRO_XOUT_H      0x43
#define GYRO_XOUT_L      0x44
#define GYRO_YOUT_H      0x45
#define GYRO_YOUT_L      0x46
#define GYRO_ZOUT_H      0x47
#define GYRO_ZOUT_L      0x48
#define EXT_SENS_DATA_00 0x49
#define EXT_SENS_DATA_01 0x4A
#define EXT_SENS_DATA_02 0x4B
#define EXT_SENS_DATA_03 0x4C
#define EXT_SENS_DATA_04 0x4D
#define EXT_SENS_DATA_05 0x4E
#define EXT_SENS_DATA_06 0x4F
#define EXT_SENS_DATA_07 0x50
#define EXT_SENS_DATA_08 0x51
#define EXT_SENS_DATA_09 0x52
#define EXT_SENS_DATA_10 0x53
#define EXT_SENS_DATA_11 0x54
#define EXT_SENS_DATA_12 0x55
#define EXT_SENS_DATA_13 0x56
#define EXT_SENS_DATA_14 0x57
#define EXT_SENS_DATA_15 0x58
#define EXT_SENS_DATA_16 0x59
#define EXT_SENS_DATA_17 0x5A
#define EXT_SENS_DATA_18 0x5B
#define EXT_SENS_DATA_19 0x5C
#define EXT_SENS_DATA_20 0x5D
#define EXT_SENS_DATA_21 0x5E
#define EXT_SENS_DATA_22 0x5F
#define EXT_SENS_DATA_23 0x60
#define MOT_DETECT_STATUS 0x61
#define I2C_SLV0_DO      0x63
#define I2C_SLV1_DO      0x64
#define I2C_SLV2_DO      0x65
#define I2C_SLV3_DO      0x66
#define I2C_MST_DELAY_CTRL 0x67
#define SIGNAL_PATH_RESET  0x68
#define MOT_DETECT_CTRL   0x69
#define USER_CTRL        0x6A  // Bit 7 enable DMP, bit 3 reset DMP
#define PWR_MGMT_1       0x6B // Device defaults to the SLEEP mode
#define PWR_MGMT_2       0x6C
#define DMP_BANK         0x6D  // Activates a specific bank in the DMP
#define DMP_RW_PNT       0x6E  // Set read/write pointer to a specific start address in specified DMP bank
#define DMP_REG          0x6F  // Register in DMP from which to read or to which to write
#define DMP_REG_1        0x70
#define DMP_REG_2        0x71
#define FIFO_COUNTH      0x72
#define FIFO_COUNTL      0x73
#define FIFO_R_W         0x74
#define WHO_AM_I_MPU6050 0x75 // Should return 0x68

// Using the GY-521 breakout board, I set ADO to 0 by grounding through a 4k7 resistor
// Seven-bit device address is 110100 for ADO = 0 and 110101 for ADO = 1
#define ADO 0
#if ADO
#define MPU6050_ADDRESS 0x69  // Device address when ADO = 1
#else
#define MPU6050_ADDRESS 0x68  // Device address when ADO = 0
#endif

// Set initial input parameters
enum Ascale {
  AFS_2G = 0,
  AFS_4G,
  AFS_8G,
  AFS_16G
};

enum Gscale {
  GFS_250DPS = 0,
  GFS_500DPS,
  GFS_1000DPS,
  GFS_2000DPS
};

// Specify sensor full scale
int Gscale = GFS_250DPS;
int Ascale = AFS_2G;
float aRes, gRes; // scale resolutions per LSB for the sensors

// Pin definitions
#define intPin  3  // These can be changed, 2 and 3 are the Arduinos ext int pins
#define ledPin 13  // Blink LED on Teensy or Pro Mini when updating

boolean SerialDebug = true;

int16_t accelCount[3];  // Stores the 16-bit signed accelerometer sensor output
float ax, ay, az;       // Stores the real accel value in g's
int16_t gyroCount[3];   // Stores the 16-bit signed gyro sensor output
float gx, gy, gz;       // Stores the real gyro value in degrees per seconds
float gyroBias[3] = {0, 0, 0}, accelBias[3] = {0, 0, 0}; // Bias corrections for gyro and accelerometer
int16_t tempCount;      // Stores the real internal chip temperature in degrees Celsius
float temperature;
float SelfTest[6];

uint32_t delt_t = 0;               // used to control display output rate
uint32_t count = 0;                // used to control display output rate
float sum = 0.;                  // For averaging the filter update rate
uint32_t sumCount= 0;              // For averaging the filter update rate

// parameters for 6 DoF sensor fusion calculations
#define GyroMeasError PI * (40.0f / 180.0f)      // gyroscope measurement error in rads/s (start at 60 deg/s), then reduce after ~10 s to 3
#define beta sqrt(3.0f / 4.0f) * GyroMeasError   // compute beta
#define GyroMeasDrift  PI * (2.0f / 180.0f)      // gyroscope measurement drift in rad/s/s (start at 2.0 deg/s/s)
#define zeta  sqrt(3.0f / 4.0f) * GyroMeasDrift  // compute zeta, the other free parameter in the Madgwick scheme usually set to a small or zero value

float pitch, yaw, roll;
float deltat = 0.0f;                             // integration interval for both filter schemes
uint32_t lastUpdate = 0, Now = 0;                         // used to calculate integration interval
float q[4] = {1.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f};           // vector to hold quaternion

void setup()
{
  Wire.begin();
  Serial.begin(38400);

// Set up the interrupt pin, its set as active high, push-pull
  pinMode(intPin, FALLING);
  digitalWrite(intPin, LOW);
  pinMode(ledPin, OUTPUT);
  digitalWrite(ledPin, HIGH);

display.begin(); // Initialize the display
  display.setContrast(58); // Set the contrast
  display.setRotation(2); //  0 or 2) width = width, 1 or 3) width = height, swapped etc.

// Start device display with ID of sensor
  display.clearDisplay();
  display.setTextSize(2);
  display.setCursor(0,0); display.print("MPU6050");
  display.setTextSize(1);
  display.setCursor(0, 20); display.print("6-DOF 16-bit");
  display.setCursor(0, 30); display.print("motion sensor");
  display.setCursor(20,40); display.print("60 ug LSB");
  display.display();
  delay(1000);

// Set up for data display
  display.setTextSize(1); // Set text size to normal, 2 is twice normal etc.
  display.setTextColor(BLACK); // Set pixel color; 1 on the monochrome screen
  display.clearDisplay();   // clears the screen and buffer

// Read the WHO_AM_I register, this is a good test of communication
  uint8_t c = readByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, WHO_AM_I_MPU6050);  // Read WHO_AM_I register for MPU-6050
  display.setCursor(20,0); display.print("MPU6050");
  display.setCursor(0,10); display.print("I AM");
  display.setCursor(0,20); display.print(c, HEX);  
  display.setCursor(0,30); display.print("I Should Be");
  display.setCursor(0,40); display.print(0x68, HEX); 
  display.display();
  delay(1000); 

if (c == 0x68) // WHO_AM_I should always be 0x68
  {  
    Serial.println("MPU6050 is online...");

MPU6050SelfTest(SelfTest); // Start by performing self test and reporting values
    if(SerialDebug) {
    Serial.print("x-axis self test: acceleration trim within : "); Serial.print(SelfTest[0],1); Serial.println("% of factory value");
    Serial.print("y-axis self test: acceleration trim within : "); Serial.print(SelfTest[1],1); Serial.println("% of factory value");
    Serial.print("z-axis self test: acceleration trim within : "); Serial.print(SelfTest[2],1); Serial.println("% of factory value");
    Serial.print("x-axis self test: gyration trim within : "); Serial.print(SelfTest[3],1); Serial.println("% of factory value");
    Serial.print("y-axis self test: gyration trim within : "); Serial.print(SelfTest[4],1); Serial.println("% of factory value");
    Serial.print("z-axis self test: gyration trim within : "); Serial.print(SelfTest[5],1); Serial.println("% of factory value");
    }

if(SelfTest[0] < 1.0f && SelfTest[1] < 1.0f && SelfTest[2] < 1.0f && SelfTest[3] < 1.0f && SelfTest[4] < 1.0f && SelfTest[5] < 1.0f) {
    display.clearDisplay();
    display.setCursor(0, 30); display.print("Pass Selftest!");  
    display.display();
    delay(1000);

calibrateMPU6050(gyroBias, accelBias); // Calibrate gyro and accelerometers, load biases in bias registers  
    display.clearDisplay();

display.setCursor(0, 0); display.print("MPU6050 bias");
    display.setCursor(0, 8); display.print(" x   y   z  ");

display.setCursor(0,  16); display.print((int)(1000*accelBias[0])); 
    display.setCursor(24, 16); display.print((int)(1000*accelBias[1])); 
    display.setCursor(48, 16); display.print((int)(1000*accelBias[2])); 
    display.setCursor(72, 16); display.print("mg");

display.setCursor(0,  24); display.print(gyroBias[0], 1); 
    display.setCursor(24, 24); display.print(gyroBias[1], 1); 
    display.setCursor(48, 24); display.print(gyroBias[2], 1); 
    display.setCursor(66, 24); display.print("o/s");   

display.display();
    delay(1000); 

initMPU6050(); Serial.println("MPU6050 initialized for active data mode...."); // Initialize device for active mode read of acclerometer, gyroscope, and temperature
   }
   else
   {
    Serial.print("Could not connect to MPU6050: 0x");
    Serial.println(c, HEX);
    while(1) ; // Loop forever if communication doesn't happen
   }
  }
}

void loop()
{  
   // If data ready bit set, all data registers have new data
  if(readByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, INT_STATUS) & 0x01) {  // check if data ready interrupt
    readAccelData(accelCount);  // Read the x/y/z adc values
    getAres();

// Now we'll calculate the accleration value into actual g's
    ax = (float)accelCount[0]*aRes;  // get actual g value, this depends on scale being set
    ay = (float)accelCount[1]*aRes;   
    az = (float)accelCount[2]*aRes;  

readGyroData(gyroCount);  // Read the x/y/z adc values
    getGres();

// Calculate the gyro value into actual degrees per second
    gx = (float)gyroCount[0]*gRes;  // get actual gyro value, this depends on scale being set
    gy = (float)gyroCount[1]*gRes;  
    gz = (float)gyroCount[2]*gRes;   

tempCount = readTempData();  // Read the x/y/z adc values
    temperature = ((float) tempCount) / 340. + 36.53; // Temperature in degrees Centigrade
   }  

Now = micros();
    deltat = ((Now - lastUpdate)/1000000.0f); // set integration time by time elapsed since last filter update
    lastUpdate = Now; 

sum += deltat;
    sumCount++;

// Pass gyro rate as rad/s
    MadgwickQuaternionUpdate(ax, ay, az, gx*PI/180.0f, gy*PI/180.0f, gz*PI/180.0f);

// Serial print and/or display at 0.5 s rate independent of data rates
    delt_t = millis() - count;
    if (delt_t > 500) { // update LCD once per half-second independent of read rate

digitalWrite(ledPin, !digitalRead(ledPin));

if(SerialDebug) {
    Serial.print("ax = "); Serial.print((int)1000*ax);  
    Serial.print(" ay = "); Serial.print((int)1000*ay); 
    Serial.print(" az = "); Serial.print((int)1000*az); Serial.println(" mg");

Serial.print("gx = "); Serial.print( gx, 1); 
    Serial.print(" gy = "); Serial.print( gy, 1); 
    Serial.print(" gz = "); Serial.print( gz, 1); Serial.println(" deg/s");

Serial.print("q0 = "); Serial.print(q[0]);
    Serial.print(" qx = "); Serial.print(q[1]); 
    Serial.print(" qy = "); Serial.print(q[2]); 
    Serial.print(" qz = "); Serial.println(q[3]);          
    }

// Define output variables from updated quaternion---these are Tait-Bryan angles, commonly used in aircraft orientation.
  // In this coordinate system, the positive z-axis is down toward Earth. 
  // Yaw is the angle between Sensor x-axis and Earth magnetic North (or true North if corrected for local declination, looking down on the sensor positive yaw is counterclockwise.
  // Pitch is angle between sensor x-axis and Earth ground plane, toward the Earth is positive, up toward the sky is negative.
  // Roll is angle between sensor y-axis and Earth ground plane, y-axis up is positive roll.
  // These arise from the definition of the homogeneous rotation matrix constructed from quaternions.
  // Tait-Bryan angles as well as Euler angles are non-commutative; that is, the get the correct orientation the rotations must be
  // applied in the correct order which for this configuration is yaw, pitch, and then roll.
  // For more see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conversion_between_quaternions_and_Euler_angles which has additional links.
    yaw   = atan2(2.0f * (q[1] * q[2] + q[0] * q[3]), q[0] * q[0] + q[1] * q[1] - q[2] * q[2] - q[3] * q[3]);   
    pitch = -asin(2.0f * (q[1] * q[3] - q[0] * q[2]));
    roll  = atan2(2.0f * (q[0] * q[1] + q[2] * q[3]), q[0] * q[0] - q[1] * q[1] - q[2] * q[2] + q[3] * q[3]);
    pitch *= 180.0f / PI;
    yaw   *= 180.0f / PI; 
    roll  *= 180.0f / PI;

if(SerialDebug) {
    Serial.print("Yaw, Pitch, Roll: ");
    Serial.print(yaw, 2);
    Serial.print(", ");
    Serial.print(pitch, 2);
    Serial.print(", ");
    Serial.println(roll, 2);

Serial.print("average rate = "); Serial.print((float) sumCount/sum, 2); Serial.println(" Hz");
    }

display.clearDisplay();      
    display.setCursor(0, 0); display.print(" x   y   z  ");

display.setCursor(0,  8); display.print((int)(1000*ax)); 
    display.setCursor(24, 8); display.print((int)(1000*ay)); 
    display.setCursor(48, 8); display.print((int)(1000*az)); 
    display.setCursor(72, 8); display.print("mg");

display.setCursor(0,  16); display.print((int)(gx)); 
    display.setCursor(24, 16); display.print((int)(gy)); 
    display.setCursor(48, 16); display.print((int)(gz)); 
    display.setCursor(66, 16); display.print("o/s");    

display.setCursor(0,  32); display.print((int)(yaw)); 
    display.setCursor(24, 32); display.print((int)(pitch)); 
    display.setCursor(48, 32); display.print((int)(roll)); 
    display.setCursor(66, 32); display.print("ypr");  

display.setCursor(0, 40); display.print("rt: "); display.print((float)sumCount /sum, 2); display.print(" Hz"); 
    display.display();

count = millis();  
    sum = 0;
    sumCount = 0;
}
  }

//===================================================================================================================
//====== Set of useful function to access acceleratio, gyroscope, and temperature data
//===================================================================================================================

void getGres() {
  switch (Gscale)
  {
 	// Possible gyro scales (and their register bit settings) are:
	// 250 DPS (00), 500 DPS (01), 1000 DPS (10), and 2000 DPS  (11). 
    case GFS_250DPS:
          gRes = 250.0/32768.0;
          break;
    case GFS_500DPS:
          gRes = 500.0/32768.0;
          break;
    case GFS_1000DPS:
          gRes = 1000.0/32768.0;
          break;
    case GFS_2000DPS:
          gRes = 2000.0/32768.0;
          break;
  }
}

void getAres() {
  switch (Ascale)
  {
 	// Possible accelerometer scales (and their register bit settings) are:
	// 2 Gs (00), 4 Gs (01), 8 Gs (10), and 16 Gs  (11). 
    case AFS_2G:
          aRes = 2.0/32768.0;
          break;
    case AFS_4G:
          aRes = 4.0/32768.0;
          break;
    case AFS_8G:
          aRes = 8.0/32768.0;
          break;
    case AFS_16G:
          aRes = 16.0/32768.0;
          break;
  }
}

void readAccelData(int16_t * destination)
{
  uint8_t rawData[6];  // x/y/z accel register data stored here
  readBytes(MPU6050_ADDRESS, ACCEL_XOUT_H, 6, &rawData[0]);  // Read the six raw data registers into data array
  destination[0] = (int16_t)((rawData[0] << 8) | rawData[1]) ;  // Turn the MSB and LSB into a signed 16-bit value
  destination[1] = (int16_t)((rawData[2] << 8) | rawData[3]) ;  
  destination[2] = (int16_t)((rawData[4] << 8) | rawData[5]) ; 
}

void readGyroData(int16_t * destination)
{
  uint8_t rawData[6];  // x/y/z gyro register data stored here
  readBytes(MPU6050_ADDRESS, GYRO_XOUT_H, 6, &rawData[0]);  // Read the six raw data registers sequentially into data array
  destination[0] = (int16_t)((rawData[0] << 8) | rawData[1]) ;  // Turn the MSB and LSB into a signed 16-bit value
  destination[1] = (int16_t)((rawData[2] << 8) | rawData[3]) ;  
  destination[2] = (int16_t)((rawData[4] << 8) | rawData[5]) ; 
}

int16_t readTempData()
{
  uint8_t rawData[2];  // x/y/z gyro register data stored here
  readBytes(MPU6050_ADDRESS, TEMP_OUT_H, 2, &rawData[0]);  // Read the two raw data registers sequentially into data array 
  return ((int16_t)rawData[0]) << 8 | rawData[1] ;  // Turn the MSB and LSB into a 16-bit value
}

// Configure the motion detection control for low power accelerometer mode
void LowPowerAccelOnlyMPU6050()
{

// The sensor has a high-pass filter necessary to invoke to allow the sensor motion detection algorithms work properly
// Motion detection occurs on free-fall (acceleration below a threshold for some time for all axes), motion (acceleration
// above a threshold for some time on at least one axis), and zero-motion toggle (acceleration on each axis less than a 
// threshold for some time sets this flag, motion above the threshold turns it off). The high-pass filter takes gravity out
// consideration for these threshold evaluations; otherwise, the flags would be set all the time!

uint8_t c = readByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, PWR_MGMT_1);
  writeByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, PWR_MGMT_1, c & ~0x30); // Clear sleep and cycle bits [5:6]
  writeByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, PWR_MGMT_1, c |  0x30); // Set sleep and cycle bits [5:6] to zero to make sure accelerometer is running

c = readByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, PWR_MGMT_2);
  writeByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, PWR_MGMT_2, c & ~0x38); // Clear standby XA, YA, and ZA bits [3:5]
  writeByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, PWR_MGMT_2, c |  0x00); // Set XA, YA, and ZA bits [3:5] to zero to make sure accelerometer is running

c = readByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, ACCEL_CONFIG);
  writeByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, ACCEL_CONFIG, c & ~0x07); // Clear high-pass filter bits [2:0]
// Set high-pass filter to 0) reset (disable), 1) 5 Hz, 2) 2.5 Hz, 3) 1.25 Hz, 4) 0.63 Hz, or 7) Hold
  writeByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, ACCEL_CONFIG,  c | 0x00);  // Set ACCEL_HPF to 0; reset mode disbaling high-pass filter

c = readByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, CONFIG);
  writeByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, CONFIG, c & ~0x07); // Clear low-pass filter bits [2:0]
  writeByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, CONFIG, c |  0x00);  // Set DLPD_CFG to 0; 260 Hz bandwidth, 1 kHz rate

c = readByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, INT_ENABLE);
  writeByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, INT_ENABLE, c & ~0xFF);  // Clear all interrupts
  writeByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, INT_ENABLE, 0x40);  // Enable motion threshold (bits 5) interrupt only

// Motion detection interrupt requires the absolute value of any axis to lie above the detection threshold
// for at least the counter duration
  writeByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, MOT_THR, 0x80); // Set motion detection to 0.256 g; LSB = 2 mg
  writeByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, MOT_DUR, 0x01); // Set motion detect duration to 1  ms; LSB is 1 ms @ 1 kHz rate

delay (100);  // Add delay for accumulation of samples

writeByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, ACCEL_CONFIG, c & ~0x07); // Clear high-pass filter bits [2:0]
  writeByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, ACCEL_CONFIG, c |  0x07);  // Set ACCEL_HPF to 7; hold the initial accleration value as a referance

writeByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, PWR_MGMT_2, c & ~0xC7); // Clear standby XA, YA, and ZA bits [3:5] and LP_WAKE_CTRL bits [6:7]
  writeByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, PWR_MGMT_2, c |  0x47); // Set wakeup frequency to 5 Hz, and disable XG, YG, and ZG gyros (bits [0:2])  

c = readByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, PWR_MGMT_1);
  writeByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, PWR_MGMT_1, c & ~0x20); // Clear sleep and cycle bit 5
  writeByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, PWR_MGMT_1, c |  0x20); // Set cycle bit 5 to begin low power accelerometer motion interrupts

}

void initMPU6050()
{  
 // wake up device
  writeByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, PWR_MGMT_1, 0x00); // Clear sleep mode bit (6), enable all sensors 
  delay(100); // Delay 100 ms for PLL to get established on x-axis gyro; should check for PLL ready interrupt  

// get stable time source
  writeByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, PWR_MGMT_1, 0x01);  // Set clock source to be PLL with x-axis gyroscope reference, bits 2:0 = 001

// Configure Gyro and Accelerometer
 // Disable FSYNC and set accelerometer and gyro bandwidth to 44 and 42 Hz, respectively; 
 // DLPF_CFG = bits 2:0 = 010; this sets the sample rate at 1 kHz for both
 // Maximum delay time is 4.9 ms corresponding to just over 200 Hz sample rate
  writeByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, CONFIG, 0x03);  

// Set sample rate = gyroscope output rate/(1 + SMPLRT_DIV)
  writeByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, SMPLRT_DIV, 0x04);  // Use a 200 Hz rate; the same rate set in CONFIG above

// Set gyroscope full scale range
 // Range selects FS_SEL and AFS_SEL are 0 - 3, so 2-bit values are left-shifted into positions 4:3
  uint8_t c =  readByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, GYRO_CONFIG);
  writeByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, GYRO_CONFIG, c & ~0xE0); // Clear self-test bits [7:5] 
  writeByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, GYRO_CONFIG, c & ~0x18); // Clear AFS bits [4:3]
  writeByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, GYRO_CONFIG, c | Gscale << 3); // Set full scale range for the gyro

// Set accelerometer configuration
  c =  readByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, ACCEL_CONFIG);
  writeByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, ACCEL_CONFIG, c & ~0xE0); // Clear self-test bits [7:5] 
  writeByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, ACCEL_CONFIG, c & ~0x18); // Clear AFS bits [4:3]
  writeByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, ACCEL_CONFIG, c | Ascale << 3); // Set full scale range for the accelerometer 

// Configure Interrupts and Bypass Enable
  // Set interrupt pin active high, push-pull, and clear on read of INT_STATUS, enable I2C_BYPASS_EN so additional chips 
  // can join the I2C bus and all can be controlled by the Arduino as master
   writeByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, INT_PIN_CFG, 0x22);    
   writeByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, INT_ENABLE, 0x01);  // Enable data ready (bit 0) interrupt
}

// Function which accumulates gyro and accelerometer data after device initialization. It calculates the average
// of the at-rest readings and then loads the resulting offsets into accelerometer and gyro bias registers.
void calibrateMPU6050(float * dest1, float * dest2)
{  
  uint8_t data[12]; // data array to hold accelerometer and gyro x, y, z, data
  uint16_t ii, packet_count, fifo_count;
  int32_t gyro_bias[3] = {0, 0, 0}, accel_bias[3] = {0, 0, 0};

// reset device, reset all registers, clear gyro and accelerometer bias registers
  writeByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, PWR_MGMT_1, 0x80); // Write a one to bit 7 reset bit; toggle reset device
  delay(100);  

// Set clock source to be PLL with x-axis gyroscope reference, bits 2:0 = 001
  writeByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, PWR_MGMT_1, 0x01);  
  writeByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, PWR_MGMT_2, 0x00); 
  delay(200);

// Configure device for bias calculation
  writeByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, INT_ENABLE, 0x00);   // Disable all interrupts
  writeByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, FIFO_EN, 0x00);      // Disable FIFO
  writeByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, PWR_MGMT_1, 0x00);   // Turn on internal clock source
  writeByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, I2C_MST_CTRL, 0x00); // Disable I2C master
  writeByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, USER_CTRL, 0x00);    // Disable FIFO and I2C master modes
  writeByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, USER_CTRL, 0x0C);    // Reset FIFO and DMP
  delay(15);

// Configure MPU6050 gyro and accelerometer for bias calculation
  writeByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, CONFIG, 0x01);      // Set low-pass filter to 188 Hz
  writeByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, SMPLRT_DIV, 0x00);  // Set sample rate to 1 kHz
  writeByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, GYRO_CONFIG, 0x00);  // Set gyro full-scale to 250 degrees per second, maximum sensitivity
  writeByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, ACCEL_CONFIG, 0x00); // Set accelerometer full-scale to 2 g, maximum sensitivity

uint16_t  gyrosensitivity  = 131;   // = 131 LSB/degrees/sec
  uint16_t  accelsensitivity = 16384;  // = 16384 LSB/g

// Configure FIFO to capture accelerometer and gyro data for bias calculation
  writeByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, USER_CTRL, 0x40);   // Enable FIFO  
  writeByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, FIFO_EN, 0x78);     // Enable gyro and accelerometer sensors for FIFO  (max size 1024 bytes in MPU-6050)
  delay(80); // accumulate 80 samples in 80 milliseconds = 960 bytes

// At end of sample accumulation, turn off FIFO sensor read
  writeByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, FIFO_EN, 0x00);        // Disable gyro and accelerometer sensors for FIFO
  readBytes(MPU6050_ADDRESS, FIFO_COUNTH, 2, &data[0]); // read FIFO sample count
  fifo_count = ((uint16_t)data[0] << 8) | data[1];
  packet_count = fifo_count/12;// How many sets of full gyro and accelerometer data for averaging

for (ii = 0; ii < packet_count; ii++) {
    int16_t accel_temp[3] = {0, 0, 0}, gyro_temp[3] = {0, 0, 0};
    readBytes(MPU6050_ADDRESS, FIFO_R_W, 12, &data[0]); // read data for averaging
    accel_temp[0] = (int16_t) (((int16_t)data[0] << 8) | data[1]  ) ;  // Form signed 16-bit integer for each sample in FIFO
    accel_temp[1] = (int16_t) (((int16_t)data[2] << 8) | data[3]  ) ;
    accel_temp[2] = (int16_t) (((int16_t)data[4] << 8) | data[5]  ) ;    
    gyro_temp[0]  = (int16_t) (((int16_t)data[6] << 8) | data[7]  ) ;
    gyro_temp[1]  = (int16_t) (((int16_t)data[8] << 8) | data[9]  ) ;
    gyro_temp[2]  = (int16_t) (((int16_t)data[10] << 8) | data[11]) ;

accel_bias[0] += (int32_t) accel_temp[0]; // Sum individual signed 16-bit biases to get accumulated signed 32-bit biases
    accel_bias[1] += (int32_t) accel_temp[1];
    accel_bias[2] += (int32_t) accel_temp[2];
    gyro_bias[0]  += (int32_t) gyro_temp[0];
    gyro_bias[1]  += (int32_t) gyro_temp[1];
    gyro_bias[2]  += (int32_t) gyro_temp[2];

}
    accel_bias[0] /= (int32_t) packet_count; // Normalize sums to get average count biases
    accel_bias[1] /= (int32_t) packet_count;
    accel_bias[2] /= (int32_t) packet_count;
    gyro_bias[0]  /= (int32_t) packet_count;
    gyro_bias[1]  /= (int32_t) packet_count;
    gyro_bias[2]  /= (int32_t) packet_count;

if(accel_bias[2] > 0L) {accel_bias[2] -= (int32_t) accelsensitivity;}  // Remove gravity from the z-axis accelerometer bias calculation
  else {accel_bias[2] += (int32_t) accelsensitivity;}

// Construct the gyro biases for push to the hardware gyro bias registers, which are reset to zero upon device startup
  data[0] = (-gyro_bias[0]/4  >> 8) & 0xFF; // Divide by 4 to get 32.9 LSB per deg/s to conform to expected bias input format
  data[1] = (-gyro_bias[0]/4)       & 0xFF; // Biases are additive, so change sign on calculated average gyro biases
  data[2] = (-gyro_bias[1]/4  >> 8) & 0xFF;
  data[3] = (-gyro_bias[1]/4)       & 0xFF;
  data[4] = (-gyro_bias[2]/4  >> 8) & 0xFF;
  data[5] = (-gyro_bias[2]/4)       & 0xFF;

// Push gyro biases to hardware registers
  writeByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, XG_OFFS_USRH, data[0]); 
  writeByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, XG_OFFS_USRL, data[1]);
  writeByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, YG_OFFS_USRH, data[2]);
  writeByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, YG_OFFS_USRL, data[3]);
  writeByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, ZG_OFFS_USRH, data[4]);
  writeByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, ZG_OFFS_USRL, data[5]);

dest1[0] = (float) gyro_bias[0]/(float) gyrosensitivity; // construct gyro bias in deg/s for later manual subtraction
  dest1[1] = (float) gyro_bias[1]/(float) gyrosensitivity;
  dest1[2] = (float) gyro_bias[2]/(float) gyrosensitivity;

// Construct the accelerometer biases for push to the hardware accelerometer bias registers. These registers contain
// factory trim values which must be added to the calculated accelerometer biases; on boot up these registers will hold
// non-zero values. In addition, bit 0 of the lower byte must be preserved since it is used for temperature
// compensation calculations. Accelerometer bias registers expect bias input as 2048 LSB per g, so that
// the accelerometer biases calculated above must be divided by 8.

int32_t accel_bias_reg[3] = {0, 0, 0}; // A place to hold the factory accelerometer trim biases
  readBytes(MPU6050_ADDRESS, XA_OFFSET_H, 2, &data[0]); // Read factory accelerometer trim values
  accel_bias_reg[0] = (int16_t) ((int16_t)data[0] << 8) | data[1];
  readBytes(MPU6050_ADDRESS, YA_OFFSET_H, 2, &data[0]);
  accel_bias_reg[1] = (int16_t) ((int16_t)data[0] << 8) | data[1];
  readBytes(MPU6050_ADDRESS, ZA_OFFSET_H, 2, &data[0]);
  accel_bias_reg[2] = (int16_t) ((int16_t)data[0] << 8) | data[1];

uint32_t mask = 1uL; // Define mask for temperature compensation bit 0 of lower byte of accelerometer bias registers
  uint8_t mask_bit[3] = {0, 0, 0}; // Define array to hold mask bit for each accelerometer bias axis

for(ii = 0; ii < 3; ii++) {
    if(accel_bias_reg[ii] & mask) mask_bit[ii] = 0x01; // If temperature compensation bit is set, record that fact in mask_bit
  }

// Construct total accelerometer bias, including calculated average accelerometer bias from above
  accel_bias_reg[0] -= (accel_bias[0]/8); // Subtract calculated averaged accelerometer bias scaled to 2048 LSB/g (16 g full scale)
  accel_bias_reg[1] -= (accel_bias[1]/8);
  accel_bias_reg[2] -= (accel_bias[2]/8);

data[0] = (accel_bias_reg[0] >> 8) & 0xFF;
  data[1] = (accel_bias_reg[0])      & 0xFF;
  data[1] = data[1] | mask_bit[0]; // preserve temperature compensation bit when writing back to accelerometer bias registers
  data[2] = (accel_bias_reg[1] >> 8) & 0xFF;
  data[3] = (accel_bias_reg[1])      & 0xFF;
  data[3] = data[3] | mask_bit[1]; // preserve temperature compensation bit when writing back to accelerometer bias registers
  data[4] = (accel_bias_reg[2] >> 8) & 0xFF;
  data[5] = (accel_bias_reg[2])      & 0xFF;
  data[5] = data[5] | mask_bit[2]; // preserve temperature compensation bit when writing back to accelerometer bias registers

// Push accelerometer biases to hardware registers
  writeByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, XA_OFFSET_H, data[0]);  
  writeByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, XA_OFFSET_L_TC, data[1]);
  writeByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, YA_OFFSET_H, data[2]);
  writeByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, YA_OFFSET_L_TC, data[3]);  
  writeByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, ZA_OFFSET_H, data[4]);
  writeByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, ZA_OFFSET_L_TC, data[5]);

// Output scaled accelerometer biases for manual subtraction in the main program
   dest2[0] = (float)accel_bias[0]/(float)accelsensitivity; 
   dest2[1] = (float)accel_bias[1]/(float)accelsensitivity;
   dest2[2] = (float)accel_bias[2]/(float)accelsensitivity;
}

// Accelerometer and gyroscope self test; check calibration wrt factory settings
void MPU6050SelfTest(float * destination) // Should return percent deviation from factory trim values, +/- 14 or less deviation is a pass
{
   uint8_t rawData[4];
   uint8_t selfTest[6];
   float factoryTrim[6];

// Configure the accelerometer for self-test
   writeByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, ACCEL_CONFIG, 0xF0); // Enable self test on all three axes and set accelerometer range to +/- 8 g
   writeByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, GYRO_CONFIG,  0xE0); // Enable self test on all three axes and set gyro range to +/- 250 degrees/s
   delay(250);  // Delay a while to let the device execute the self-test
   rawData[0] = readByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, SELF_TEST_X); // X-axis self-test results
   rawData[1] = readByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, SELF_TEST_Y); // Y-axis self-test results
   rawData[2] = readByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, SELF_TEST_Z); // Z-axis self-test results
   rawData[3] = readByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, SELF_TEST_A); // Mixed-axis self-test results
   // Extract the acceleration test results first
   selfTest[0] = (rawData[0] >> 3) | (rawData[3] & 0x30) >> 4 ; // XA_TEST result is a five-bit unsigned integer
   selfTest[1] = (rawData[1] >> 3) | (rawData[3] & 0x0C) >> 4 ; // YA_TEST result is a five-bit unsigned integer
   selfTest[2] = (rawData[2] >> 3) | (rawData[3] & 0x03) >> 4 ; // ZA_TEST result is a five-bit unsigned integer
   // Extract the gyration test results first
   selfTest[3] = rawData[0]  & 0x1F ; // XG_TEST result is a five-bit unsigned integer
   selfTest[4] = rawData[1]  & 0x1F ; // YG_TEST result is a five-bit unsigned integer
   selfTest[5] = rawData[2]  & 0x1F ; // ZG_TEST result is a five-bit unsigned integer   
   // Process results to allow final comparison with factory set values
   factoryTrim[0] = (4096.0*0.34)*(pow( (0.92/0.34) , (((float)selfTest[0] - 1.0)/30.0))); // FT[Xa] factory trim calculation
   factoryTrim[1] = (4096.0*0.34)*(pow( (0.92/0.34) , (((float)selfTest[1] - 1.0)/30.0))); // FT[Ya] factory trim calculation
   factoryTrim[2] = (4096.0*0.34)*(pow( (0.92/0.34) , (((float)selfTest[2] - 1.0)/30.0))); // FT[Za] factory trim calculation
   factoryTrim[3] =  ( 25.0*131.0)*(pow( 1.046 , ((float)selfTest[3] - 1.0) ));             // FT[Xg] factory trim calculation
   factoryTrim[4] =  (-25.0*131.0)*(pow( 1.046 , ((float)selfTest[4] - 1.0) ));             // FT[Yg] factory trim calculation
   factoryTrim[5] =  ( 25.0*131.0)*(pow( 1.046 , ((float)selfTest[5] - 1.0) ));             // FT[Zg] factory trim calculation

//  Output self-test results and factory trim calculation if desired
 //  Serial.println(selfTest[0]); Serial.println(selfTest[1]); Serial.println(selfTest[2]);
 //  Serial.println(selfTest[3]); Serial.println(selfTest[4]); Serial.println(selfTest[5]);
 //  Serial.println(factoryTrim[0]); Serial.println(factoryTrim[1]); Serial.println(factoryTrim[2]);
 //  Serial.println(factoryTrim[3]); Serial.println(factoryTrim[4]); Serial.println(factoryTrim[5]);

// Report results as a ratio of (STR - FT)/FT; the change from Factory Trim of the Self-Test Response
 // To get to percent, must multiply by 100 and subtract result from 100
   for (int i = 0; i < 6; i++) {
     destination[i] = 100.0 + 100.0*((float)selfTest[i] - factoryTrim[i])/factoryTrim[i]; // Report percent differences
   }

}

void writeByte(uint8_t address, uint8_t subAddress, uint8_t data)
{
	Wire.beginTransmission(address);  // Initialize the Tx buffer
	Wire.write(subAddress);           // Put slave register address in Tx buffer
	Wire.write(data);                 // Put data in Tx buffer
	Wire.endTransmission();           // Send the Tx buffer
}

uint8_t readByte(uint8_t address, uint8_t subAddress)
{
	uint8_t data; // `data` will store the register data	 
	Wire.beginTransmission(address);         // Initialize the Tx buffer
	Wire.write(subAddress);	                 // Put slave register address in Tx buffer
	Wire.endTransmission(false);             // Send the Tx buffer, but send a restart to keep connection alive
	Wire.requestFrom(address, (uint8_t) 1);  // Read one byte from slave register address 
	data = Wire.read();                      // Fill Rx buffer with result
	return data;                             // Return data read from slave register
}

void readBytes(uint8_t address, uint8_t subAddress, uint8_t count, uint8_t * dest)
{  
	Wire.beginTransmission(address);   // Initialize the Tx buffer
	Wire.write(subAddress);            // Put slave register address in Tx buffer
	Wire.endTransmission(false);       // Send the Tx buffer, but send a restart to keep connection alive
	uint8_t i = 0;
        Wire.requestFrom(address, count);  // Read bytes from slave register address 
	while (Wire.available()) {
        dest[i++] = Wire.read(); }         // Put read results in the Rx buffer
}

It also takes this separate file for the sensor fusion filter call:

Code:
// Implementation of Sebastian Madgwick's "...efficient orientation filter for... inertial/magnetic sensor arrays"
// (see http://www.x-io.co.uk/category/open-source/ for examples and more details)
// which fuses acceleration and rotation rate to produce a quaternion-based estimate of relative
// device orientation -- which can be converted to yaw, pitch, and roll. Useful for stabilizing quadcopters, etc.
// The performance of the orientation filter is at least as good as conventional Kalman-based filtering algorithms
// but is much less computationally intensive---it can be performed on a 3.3 V Pro Mini operating at 8 MHz!
        void MadgwickQuaternionUpdate(float ax, float ay, float az, float gx, float gy, float gz)
        {
            float q1 = q[0], q2 = q[1], q3 = q[2], q4 = q[3];         // short name local variable for readability
            float norm;                                               // vector norm
            float f1, f2, f3;                                         // objetive function elements
            float J_11or24, J_12or23, J_13or22, J_14or21, J_32, J_33; // objective function Jacobian elements
            float qDot1, qDot2, qDot3, qDot4;
            float hatDot1, hatDot2, hatDot3, hatDot4;
            float gerrx, gerry, gerrz, gbiasx, gbiasy, gbiasz;        // gyro bias error

// Auxiliary variables to avoid repeated arithmetic
            float _halfq1 = 0.5f * q1;
            float _halfq2 = 0.5f * q2;
            float _halfq3 = 0.5f * q3;
            float _halfq4 = 0.5f * q4;
            float _2q1 = 2.0f * q1;
            float _2q2 = 2.0f * q2;
            float _2q3 = 2.0f * q3;
            float _2q4 = 2.0f * q4;

// Normalise accelerometer measurement
            norm = sqrt(ax * ax + ay * ay + az * az);
            if (norm == 0.0f) return; // handle NaN
            norm = 1.0f/norm;
            ax *= norm;
            ay *= norm;
            az *= norm;

// Compute the objective function and Jacobian
            f1 = _2q2 * q4 - _2q1 * q3 - ax;
            f2 = _2q1 * q2 + _2q3 * q4 - ay;
            f3 = 1.0f - _2q2 * q2 - _2q3 * q3 - az;
            J_11or24 = _2q3;
            J_12or23 = _2q4;
            J_13or22 = _2q1;
            J_14or21 = _2q2;
            J_32 = 2.0f * J_14or21;
            J_33 = 2.0f * J_11or24;

// Compute the gradient (matrix multiplication)
            hatDot1 = J_14or21 * f2 - J_11or24 * f1;
            hatDot2 = J_12or23 * f1 + J_13or22 * f2 - J_32 * f3;
            hatDot3 = J_12or23 * f2 - J_33 *f3 - J_13or22 * f1;
            hatDot4 = J_14or21 * f1 + J_11or24 * f2;

// Normalize the gradient
            norm = sqrt(hatDot1 * hatDot1 + hatDot2 * hatDot2 + hatDot3 * hatDot3 + hatDot4 * hatDot4);
            hatDot1 /= norm;
            hatDot2 /= norm;
            hatDot3 /= norm;
            hatDot4 /= norm;

// Compute estimated gyroscope biases
            gerrx = _2q1 * hatDot2 - _2q2 * hatDot1 - _2q3 * hatDot4 + _2q4 * hatDot3;
            gerry = _2q1 * hatDot3 + _2q2 * hatDot4 - _2q3 * hatDot1 - _2q4 * hatDot2;
            gerrz = _2q1 * hatDot4 - _2q2 * hatDot3 + _2q3 * hatDot2 - _2q4 * hatDot1;

// Compute and remove gyroscope biases
            gbiasx += gerrx * deltat * zeta;
            gbiasy += gerry * deltat * zeta;
            gbiasz += gerrz * deltat * zeta;
       //    gx -= gbiasx;
       //    gy -= gbiasy;
       //    gz -= gbiasz;

// Compute the quaternion derivative
            qDot1 = -_halfq2 * gx - _halfq3 * gy - _halfq4 * gz;
            qDot2 =  _halfq1 * gx + _halfq3 * gz - _halfq4 * gy;
            qDot3 =  _halfq1 * gy - _halfq2 * gz + _halfq4 * gx;
            qDot4 =  _halfq1 * gz + _halfq2 * gy - _halfq3 * gx;

// Compute then integrate estimated quaternion derivative
            q1 += (qDot1 -(beta * hatDot1)) * deltat;
            q2 += (qDot2 -(beta * hatDot2)) * deltat;
            q3 += (qDot3 -(beta * hatDot3)) * deltat;
            q4 += (qDot4 -(beta * hatDot4)) * deltat;

// Normalize the quaternion
            norm = sqrt(q1 * q1 + q2 * q2 + q3 * q3 + q4 * q4);    // normalise quaternion
            norm = 1.0f/norm;
            q[0] = q1 * norm;
            q[1] = q2 * norm;
            q[2] = q3 * norm;
            q[3] = q4 * norm;
        }

This sketch runs at 970 Hz sensor fusion filter update rate on Teensy 3.1 at 96 MHz.

Last edited:
Here is the sketch as I rearranged it to conform to the much faster mbed sketch.:

Code:
/* MPU6050 Basic Example Code
 date: May 1, 2014

Demonstrate  MPU-6050 basic functionality including initialization, accelerometer trimming, sleep mode functionality as well as
 parameterizing the register addresses. Added display functions to allow display to on breadboard monitor. 
 No DMP use. We just want to get out the accelerations, temperature, and gyro readings.

board.

Hardware setup:

Because the sensor is not 5V tolerant, we are using a 3.3 V 8 MHz Pro Mini or a 3.3 V Teensy 3.1.
 We have disabled the internal pull-ups used by the Wire library in the Wire.h/twi.c utility file.
 We are also using the 400 kHz fast I2C mode by setting the TWI_FREQ  to 400000L /twi.h utility file.
 */

#include <Wire.h>
#include <Adafruit_GFX.h>
#include <Adafruit_PCD8544.h>

Adafruit_PCD8544 display = Adafruit_PCD8544(9, 8, 7, 5, 6);

enum Ascale {
  AFS_2G = 0,
  AFS_4G,
  AFS_8G,
  AFS_16G
};

enum Gscale {
  GFS_250DPS = 0,
  GFS_500DPS,
  GFS_1000DPS,
  GFS_2000DPS
};

int Gscale = GFS_250DPS;
int Ascale = AFS_2G;

// Pin definitions
#define intPin 3  // These can be changed, 2 and 3 are the Arduinos ext int pins
#define ledPin 13  // Blink LED on Teensy or Pro Mini when updating
#define MPU6050_ADDRESS 0x68

boolean SerialDebug = true;

float gyroBias[3] = {0, 0, 0}, accelBias[3] = {0, 0, 0}; // Bias corrections for gyro and accelerometer
int16_t tempCount;   // Stores the real internal chip temperature in degrees Celsius
float temperature;
float SelfTest[6];

int delt_t = 0; // used to control display output rate
int count = 0;  // used to control display output rate
float sum = 0;
uint32_t sumCount = 0;

float GyroMeasError = PI * (60.0f / 180.0f);     // gyroscope measurement error in rads/s (start at 60 deg/s), then reduce after ~10 s to 3
float beta = sqrt(3.0f / 4.0f) * GyroMeasError;  // compute beta
float GyroMeasDrift = PI * (1.0f / 180.0f);      // gyroscope measurement drift in rad/s/s (start at 0.0 deg/s/s)
float zeta = sqrt(3.0f / 4.0f) * GyroMeasDrift;  // compute zeta, the other free parameter in the Madgwick scheme usually set to a small or zero value

float pitch, yaw, roll;
float deltat = 0.0f;                              // integration interval for both filter schemes
uint32_t lastUpdate = 0, firstUpdate = 0, Now = 0;     // used to calculate integration interval               
float q[4] = {1.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f};            // vector to hold quaternion

void setup()
{
  Wire.begin();
  Serial.begin(38400);  

// Set up the interrupt pin, its set as active high, push-pull
  pinMode(intPin, FALLING);
  digitalWrite(intPin, LOW);
  pinMode(ledPin, OUTPUT);
  digitalWrite(ledPin, HIGH);

display.begin(); // Initialize the display
  display.setContrast(58); // Set the contrast
  display.setRotation(2); //  0 or 2) width = width, 1 or 3) width = height, swapped etc.

// Start device display with ID of sensor
  display.clearDisplay();
  display.setTextSize(2);
  display.setCursor(0,0); display.print("MPU6050");
  display.setTextSize(1);
  display.setCursor(0, 20); display.print("6-DOF 16-bit");
  display.setCursor(0, 30); display.print("motion sensor");
  display.setCursor(20,40); display.print("60 ug LSB");
  display.display();
  delay(1000);

// Set up for data display
  display.setTextSize(1); // Set text size to normal, 2 is twice normal etc.
  display.setTextColor(BLACK); // Set pixel color; 1 on the monochrome screen
  display.clearDisplay();   // clears the screen and buffer

uint8_t whoami = verifyMPU6050();
  display.setCursor(20,0); display.print("MPU6050");
  display.setCursor(0,10); display.print("I AM");
  display.setCursor(0,20); display.print(whoami, HEX);  
  display.setCursor(0,30); display.print("I Should Be");
  display.setCursor(0,40); display.print(0x68, HEX); 
  display.display();
  delay(1000); 

if (whoami == 0x68) // WHO_AM_I should always be 0x68
  {  
    Serial.println("MPU6050 is online...");

MPU6050SelfTest(SelfTest); // Start by performing self test and reporting values
    Serial.print("x-axis self test: acceleration trim within : "); Serial.print(SelfTest[0],1); Serial.println("% of factory value");
    Serial.print("y-axis self test: acceleration trim within : "); Serial.print(SelfTest[1],1); Serial.println("% of factory value");
    Serial.print("z-axis self test: acceleration trim within : "); Serial.print(SelfTest[2],1); Serial.println("% of factory value");
    Serial.print("x-axis self test: gyration trim within : "); Serial.print(SelfTest[3],1); Serial.println("% of factory value");
    Serial.print("y-axis self test: gyration trim within : "); Serial.print(SelfTest[4],1); Serial.println("% of factory value");
    Serial.print("z-axis self test: gyration trim within : "); Serial.print(SelfTest[5],1); Serial.println("% of factory value");

if(SelfTest[0] < 1.0f && SelfTest[1] < 1.0f && SelfTest[2] < 1.0f && SelfTest[3] < 1.0f && SelfTest[4] < 1.0f && SelfTest[5] < 1.0f) {
    display.clearDisplay();
    display.setCursor(0, 30); display.print("Pass Selftest!");  
    display.display();
    delay(1000);

calibrateMPU6050(gyroBias, accelBias); // Calibrate gyro and accelerometers, load biases in bias registers  
    display.clearDisplay();

display.setCursor(0, 0); display.print("MPU6050 bias");
    display.setCursor(0, 8); display.print(" x   y   z  ");

display.setCursor(0,  16); display.print((int)(1000*accelBias[0])); 
    display.setCursor(24, 16); display.print((int)(1000*accelBias[1])); 
    display.setCursor(48, 16); display.print((int)(1000*accelBias[2])); 
    display.setCursor(72, 16); display.print("mg");

display.setCursor(0,  24); display.print(gyroBias[0], 1); 
    display.setCursor(24, 24); display.print(gyroBias[1], 1); 
    display.setCursor(48, 24); display.print(gyroBias[2], 1); 
    display.setCursor(66, 24); display.print("o/s");   

display.display();
    delay(1000); 

initMPU6050(); Serial.println("MPU6050 initialized for active data mode...."); // Initialize device for active mode read of acclerometer, gyroscope, and temperature
   }
   else
   {
    Serial.print("Could not connect to MPU6050: 0x");
    Serial.println(whoami, HEX);
   }
  }
}

void loop()
 {

//  if(digitalRead(intPin)) {  // check if data ready interrupt
  if(readByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, INT_STATUS) & 0x01) {  // check if data ready interrupt
    readAccelData(accelCount);  // Read the x/y/z adc values
    getAres();

ax = (float)accelCount[0]*aRes; //- accelBias[0];  // get actual g value, this depends on scale being set
    ay = (float)accelCount[1]*aRes; // - accelBias[1];   
    az = (float)accelCount[2]*aRes; // - accelBias[2];  

readGyroData(gyroCount);  // Read the x/y/z adc values
    getGres();

gx = (float)gyroCount[0]*gRes; // - gyroBias[0];  // get actual gyro value, this depends on scale being set
    gy = (float)gyroCount[1]*gRes; // - gyroBias[1];  
    gz = (float)gyroCount[2]*gRes; // - gyroBias[2];   

tempCount = readTempData();  // Read the x/y/z adc values
    temperature = (tempCount) / 340. + 36.53; // Temperature in degrees Centigrade
   }  

Now = micros();
    deltat = (float)((Now - lastUpdate)/1000000.0f) ; // set integration time by time elapsed since last filter update
    lastUpdate = Now;

sum += deltat;
    sumCount++;

if(lastUpdate - firstUpdate > 10000000.0f) {
     beta = 0.04;  // decrease filter gain after stabilized
     zeta = 0.015; // increasey bias drift gain after stabilized
    }

delt_t = millis() - count;

if(SerialDebug) {
     Serial.print("ax =");   Serial.print(1000*ax); 
     Serial.print(" ay =");  Serial.print(1000*ay); 
     Serial.print(" az = "); Serial.print(1000*az); Serial.println(" mg");

Serial.print("gx = ");  Serial.print(gx); 
     Serial.print(" gy = "); Serial.print(gy); 
     Serial.print(" gz = "); Serial.print(gz); Serial.println(" deg/s");

Serial.print(" temperature = ");Serial.print(temperature); Serial.println(" C");

Serial.print("q0 = "); Serial.print(q[0]);
     Serial.print("q1 = "); Serial.print(q[1]);
     Serial.print("q2 = "); Serial.print(q[2]);
     Serial.print("q3 = "); Serial.println(q[3]);      
    }

// Define output variables from updated quaternion---these are Tait-Bryan angles, commonly used in aircraft orientation.
  // Yaw is the angle between Sensor x-axis and Earth magnetic North (or true North if corrected for local declination, looking down on the sensor positive yaw is counterclockwise.
  // Pitch is angle between sensor x-axis and Earth ground plane, toward the Earth is positive, up toward the sky is negative.
  // Roll is angle between sensor y-axis and Earth ground plane, y-axis up is positive roll.
  // These arise from the definition of the homogeneous rotation matrix constructed from quaternions.
  // Tait-Bryan angles as well as Euler angles are non-commutative; that is, the get the correct orientation the rotations must be
  // applied in the correct order which for this configuration is yaw, pitch, and then roll.
  // For more see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conversion_between_quaternions_and_Euler_angles which has additional links.
    yaw   = atan2(2.0f * (q[1] * q[2] + q[0] * q[3]), q[0] * q[0] + q[1] * q[1] - q[2] * q[2] - q[3] * q[3]);   
    roll  = atan2(2.0f * (q[0] * q[1] + q[2] * q[3]), q[0] * q[0] - q[1] * q[1] - q[2] * q[2] + q[3] * q[3]);
    pitch *= 180.0f / PI;
    yaw   *= 180.0f / PI; 
    roll  *= 180.0f / PI;

Serial.print("Yaw, Pitch, Roll: ");
     Serial.print(yaw);
     Serial.print(", ");
     Serial.print(pitch);
     Serial.print(", ");
     Serial.println(roll);
     Serial.println("average rate = ");  Serial.print(sumCount/sum);  Serial.println(" Hz");

display.clearDisplay();      
    display.setCursor(0, 0); display.print(" x   y   z  ");

display.setCursor(0,  8); display.print((int)(1000*ax)); 
    display.setCursor(24, 8); display.print((int)(1000*ay)); 
    display.setCursor(48, 8); display.print((int)(1000*az)); 
    display.setCursor(72, 8); display.print("mg");

display.setCursor(0,  16); display.print((int)(gx)); 
    display.setCursor(24, 16); display.print((int)(gy)); 
    display.setCursor(48, 16); display.print((int)(gz)); 
    display.setCursor(66, 16); display.print("o/s");    

display.setCursor(0,  32); display.print((int)(yaw)); 
    display.setCursor(24, 32); display.print((int)(pitch)); 
    display.setCursor(48, 32); display.print((int)(roll)); 
    display.setCursor(66, 32); display.print("ypr");  

display.setCursor(0, 40); display.print("rt: "); display.print((float)sumCount /sum, 2); display.print(" Hz"); 
    display.display();

digitalWrite(ledPin, !digitalRead(ledPin));
    count = millis(); 
    sum = 0;
    sumCount = 0; 
}
}

This second file needs to be included:

Code:
 // Define registers per MPU6050, Register Map and Descriptions, Rev 4.2, 08/19/2013 6 DOF Motion sensor fusion device
// See also MPU-6050 Register Map and Descriptions, Revision 4.0, RM-MPU-6050A-00, 9/12/2012 for registers not listed in 
// above document; the MPU6050 and MPU 9150 are virtually identical but the latter has an on-board magnetic sensor
//
#define XGOFFS_TC        0x00 // Bit 7 PWR_MODE, bits 6:1 XG_OFFS_TC, bit 0 OTP_BNK_VLD                 
#define XG_OFFS_USRH     0x13  // User-defined trim values for gyroscope; supported in MPU-6050?
#define MOT_DUR          0x20  // Duration counter threshold for motion interrupt generation, 1 kHz rate, LSB = 1 ms
#define ZRMOT_DUR        0x22  // Duration counter threshold for zero motion interrupt generation, 16 Hz rate, LSB = 64 ms
#define DMP_RW_PNT       0x6E  // Set read/write pointer to a specific start address in specified DMP bank
#define DMP_REG          0x6F  // Register in DMP from which to read or to which to write

// Using the GY-521 breakout board, I set ADO to 0 by grounding through a 4k7 resistor
#define ADO 0
#if ADO
#define MPU6050_ADDRESS 0x69  // Device address when ADO = 1
#else
#define MPU6050_ADDRESS 0x68  // Device address when ADO = 0
#endif

//====== Set of useful function to access acceleratio, gyroscope, and temperature data

{
	Wire.beginTransmission(address);  // Initialize the Tx buffer
	Wire.write(subAddress);           // Put slave register address in Tx buffer
	Wire.write(data);                 // Put data in Tx buffer
	Wire.endTransmission();           // Send the Tx buffer
}

uint8_t readByte(uint8_t address, uint8_t subAddress)
{
	uint8_t data; // `data` will store the register data	 
	Wire.beginTransmission(address);         // Initialize the Tx buffer
	Wire.write(subAddress);	                 // Put slave register address in Tx buffer
	Wire.endTransmission(false);             // Send the Tx buffer, but send a restart to keep connection alive
	Wire.requestFrom(address, (uint8_t) 1);  // Read one byte from slave register address 
	data = Wire.read();                      // Fill Rx buffer with result
	return data;                             // Return data read from slave register
}

void readBytes(uint8_t address, uint8_t subAddress, uint8_t count, uint8_t * dest)
{  
	Wire.beginTransmission(address);   // Initialize the Tx buffer
	Wire.write(subAddress);            // Put slave register address in Tx buffer
	Wire.endTransmission(false);       // Send the Tx buffer, but send a restart to keep connection alive
	uint8_t i = 0;
        Wire.requestFrom(address, count);  // Read bytes from slave register address 
	while (Wire.available()) {
        dest[i++] = Wire.read(); }         // Put read results in the Rx buffer
}

void getGres() {
  switch (Gscale)
  {
        // Here's a bit of an algorith to calculate DPS/(ADC tick) based on that 2-bit value:
    case GFS_250DPS:
          gRes = 250.0/32768.0;
          break;
    case GFS_500DPS:
          gRes = 500.0/32768.0;
          break;
    case GFS_1000DPS:
          gRes = 1000.0/32768.0;
          break;
    case GFS_2000DPS:
          gRes = 2000.0/32768.0;
          break;
  }
}

void getAres() {
  switch (Ascale)
  {
        // Here's a bit of an algorith to calculate DPS/(ADC tick) based on that 2-bit value:
    case AFS_2G:
          aRes = 2.0/32768.0;
          break;
    case AFS_4G:
          aRes = 4.0/32768.0;
          break;
    case AFS_8G:
          aRes = 8.0/32768.0;
          break;
    case AFS_16G:
          aRes = 16.0/32768.0;
          break;
  }
}

{
  readBytes(MPU6050_ADDRESS, ACCEL_XOUT_H, 6, &rawData[0]);  // Read the six raw data registers into data array
  destination[0] = (int16_t)(((int16_t)rawData[0] << 8) | rawData[1]) ;  // Turn the MSB and LSB into a signed 16-bit value
  destination[1] = (int16_t)(((int16_t)rawData[2] << 8) | rawData[3]) ;  
  destination[2] = (int16_t)(((int16_t)rawData[4] << 8) | rawData[5]) ; 
}

{
  readBytes(MPU6050_ADDRESS, GYRO_XOUT_H, 6, &rawData[0]);  // Read the six raw data registers sequentially into data array
  destination[0] = (int16_t)(((int16_t)rawData[0] << 8) | rawData[1]) ;  // Turn the MSB and LSB into a signed 16-bit value
}

int16_t readTempData()
{
  readBytes(MPU6050_ADDRESS, TEMP_OUT_H, 2, &rawData[0]);  // Read the two raw data registers sequentially into data array 
  return (int16_t)(((int16_t)rawData[0]) << 8 | rawData[1]) ;  // Turn the MSB and LSB into a 16-bit value
}

uint8_t verifyMPU6050()
{
  uint8_t c = readByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, WHO_AM_I_MPU6050);  // Read WHO_AM_I register for MPU-6050
  return c;
}

void LowPowerAccelOnly()
{

// The sensor has a high-pass filter necessary to invoke to allow the sensor motion detection algorithms work properly
// Motion detection occurs on free-fall (acceleration below a threshold for some time for all axes), motion (acceleration
// above a threshold for some time on at least one axis), and zero-motion toggle (acceleration on each axis less than a 
// threshold for some time sets this flag, motion above the threshold turns it off). The high-pass filter takes gravity out
// consideration for these threshold evaluations; otherwise, the flags would be set all the time!

writeByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, PWR_MGMT_1, c & ~0x30); // Clear sleep and cycle bits [5:6]
  writeByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, PWR_MGMT_1, c |  0x30); // Set sleep and cycle bits [5:6] to zero to make sure accelerometer is running

writeByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, PWR_MGMT_2, c & ~0x38); // Clear standby XA, YA, and ZA bits [3:5]
  writeByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, PWR_MGMT_2, c |  0x00); // Set XA, YA, and ZA bits [3:5] to zero to make sure accelerometer is running

// Set high-pass filter to 0) reset (disable), 1) 5 Hz, 2) 2.5 Hz, 3) 1.25 Hz, 4) 0.63 Hz, or 7) Hold
  writeByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, ACCEL_CONFIG,  c | 0x00);  // Set ACCEL_HPF to 0; reset mode disbaling high-pass filter

writeByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, CONFIG, c & ~0x07); // Clear low-pass filter bits [2:0]
  writeByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, CONFIG, c |  0x00);  // Set DLPD_CFG to 0; 260 Hz bandwidth, 1 kHz rate

writeByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, INT_ENABLE, 0x40);  // Enable motion threshold (bits 5) interrupt only

// Motion detection interrupt requires the absolute value of any axis to lie above the detection threshold
  writeByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, MOT_THR, 0x80); // Set motion detection to 0.256 g; LSB = 2 mg
  writeByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, MOT_DUR, 0x01); // Set motion detect duration to 1  ms; LSB is 1 ms @ 1 kHz rate

delay(100);  // Add delay for accumulation of samples

writeByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, ACCEL_CONFIG, c |  0x07);  // Set ACCEL_HPF to 7; hold the initial accleration value as a referance

writeByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, PWR_MGMT_2, c & ~0xC7); // Clear standby XA, YA, and ZA bits [3:5] and LP_WAKE_CTRL bits [6:7]
  writeByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, PWR_MGMT_2, c |  0x47); // Set wakeup frequency to 5 Hz, and disable XG, YG, and ZG gyros (bits [0:2])  

writeByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, PWR_MGMT_1, c & ~0x20); // Clear sleep and cycle bit 5
  writeByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, PWR_MGMT_1, c |  0x20); // Set cycle bit 5 to begin low power accelerometer motion interrupts

}

void resetMPU6050() {
  // reset device
  writeByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, PWR_MGMT_1, 0x80); // Write a one to bit 7 reset bit; toggle reset device
  delay(100);
  }

void initMPU6050()
{  
 // Initialize MPU6050 device
 // wake up device
  writeByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, PWR_MGMT_1, 0x00); // Clear sleep mode bit (6), enable all sensors 
  delay(100); // Delay 100 ms for PLL to get established on x-axis gyro; should check for PLL ready interrupt  

writeByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, PWR_MGMT_1, 0x01);  // Set clock source to be PLL with x-axis gyroscope reference, bits 2:0 = 001

// Disable FSYNC and set accelerometer and gyro bandwidth to 44 and 42 Hz, respectively; 
 // Maximum delay is 4.9 ms which is just over a 200 Hz maximum rate

writeByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, SMPLRT_DIV, 0x04);  // Use a 200 Hz rate; the same rate set in CONFIG above

// Range selects FS_SEL and AFS_SEL are 0 - 3, so 2-bit values are left-shifted into positions 4:3
  writeByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, GYRO_CONFIG, c & ~0xE0); // Clear self-test bits [7:5] 
  writeByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, GYRO_CONFIG, c | Gscale << 3); // Set full scale range for the gyro

writeByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, ACCEL_CONFIG, c & ~0xE0); // Clear self-test bits [7:5] 
  writeByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, ACCEL_CONFIG, c | Ascale << 3); // Set full scale range for the accelerometer 

// Set interrupt pin active high, push-pull, and clear on read of INT_STATUS, enable I2C_BYPASS_EN so additional chips 
   writeByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, INT_ENABLE, 0x01);  // Enable data ready (bit 0) interrupt
}

// Function which accumulates gyro and accelerometer data after device initialization. It calculates the average
// of the at-rest readings and then loads the resulting offsets into accelerometer and gyro bias registers.
{  

// reset device, reset all registers, clear gyro and accelerometer bias registers
  delay(100);  

delay(200);

writeByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, PWR_MGMT_1, 0x00);   // Turn on internal clock source
  writeByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, USER_CTRL, 0x00);    // Disable FIFO and I2C master modes
  delay(15);

writeByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, GYRO_CONFIG, 0x00);  // Set gyro full-scale to 250 degrees per second, maximum sensitivity
  writeByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, ACCEL_CONFIG, 0x00); // Set accelerometer full-scale to 2 g, maximum sensitivity

writeByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, FIFO_EN, 0x78);     // Enable gyro and accelerometer sensors for FIFO  (max size 1024 bytes in MPU-6050)
  delay(80); // accumulate 80 samples in 80 milliseconds = 960 bytes

writeByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, FIFO_EN, 0x00);        // Disable gyro and accelerometer sensors for FIFO
  packet_count = fifo_count/12;// How many sets of full gyro and accelerometer data for averaging

accel_temp[0] = (int16_t) (((int16_t)data[0] << 8) | data[1]  ) ;  // Form signed 16-bit integer for each sample in FIFO

accel_bias[0] += (int32_t) accel_temp[0]; // Sum individual signed 16-bit biases to get accumulated signed 32-bit biases

}
    accel_bias[0] /= (int32_t) packet_count; // Normalize sums to get average count biases

if(accel_bias[2] > 0L) {accel_bias[2] -= (int32_t) accelsensitivity;}  // Remove gravity from the z-axis accelerometer bias calculation

// Construct the gyro biases for push to the hardware gyro bias registers, which are reset to zero upon device startup
  data[0] = (-gyro_bias[0]/4  >> 8) & 0xFF; // Divide by 4 to get 32.9 LSB per deg/s to conform to expected bias input format
  data[1] = (-gyro_bias[0]/4)       & 0xFF; // Biases are additive, so change sign on calculated average gyro biases

dest1[0] = (float) gyro_bias[0]/(float) gyrosensitivity; // construct gyro bias in deg/s for later manual subtraction

// Construct the accelerometer biases for push to the hardware accelerometer bias registers. These registers contain
// factory trim values which must be added to the calculated accelerometer biases; on boot up these registers will hold
// non-zero values. In addition, bit 0 of the lower byte must be preserved since it is used for temperature
// compensation calculations. Accelerometer bias registers expect bias input as 2048 LSB per g, so that

int32_t accel_bias_reg[3] = {0, 0, 0}; // A place to hold the factory accelerometer trim biases
  readBytes(MPU6050_ADDRESS, XA_OFFSET_H, 2, &data[0]); // Read factory accelerometer trim values

uint32_t mask = 1uL; // Define mask for temperature compensation bit 0 of lower byte of accelerometer bias registers
  uint8_t mask_bit[3] = {0, 0, 0}; // Define array to hold mask bit for each accelerometer bias axis

if(accel_bias_reg[ii] & mask) mask_bit[ii] = 0x01; // If temperature compensation bit is set, record that fact in mask_bit
  }

// Construct total accelerometer bias, including calculated average accelerometer bias from above
  accel_bias_reg[0] -= (accel_bias[0]/8); // Subtract calculated averaged accelerometer bias scaled to 2048 LSB/g (16 g full scale)

data[1] = data[1] | mask_bit[0]; // preserve temperature compensation bit when writing back to accelerometer bias registers
  data[3] = data[3] | mask_bit[1]; // preserve temperature compensation bit when writing back to accelerometer bias registers
  data[5] = data[5] | mask_bit[2]; // preserve temperature compensation bit when writing back to accelerometer bias registers

writeByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, XA_OFFSET_H, data[0]);  
  writeByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, XA_OFFSET_L_TC, data[1]);
  writeByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, YA_OFFSET_H, data[2]);
  writeByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, YA_OFFSET_L_TC, data[3]);  
  writeByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, ZA_OFFSET_H, data[4]);
  writeByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, ZA_OFFSET_L_TC, data[5]);

// Output scaled accelerometer biases for manual subtraction in the main program
}

// Accelerometer and gyroscope self test; check calibration wrt factory settings
void MPU6050SelfTest(float * destination) // Should return percent deviation from factory trim values, +/- 14 or less deviation is a pass
{
   uint8_t rawData[4] = {0, 0, 0, 0};
   uint8_t selfTest[6];
   float factoryTrim[6];

writeByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, ACCEL_CONFIG, 0xF0); // Enable self test on all three axes and set accelerometer range to +/- 8 g
   writeByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, GYRO_CONFIG,  0xE0); // Enable self test on all three axes and set gyro range to +/- 250 degrees/s
   delay(250);  // Delay a while to let the device execute the self-test
   rawData[0] = readByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, SELF_TEST_X); // X-axis self-test results
   rawData[1] = readByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, SELF_TEST_Y); // Y-axis self-test results
   rawData[2] = readByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, SELF_TEST_Z); // Z-axis self-test results
   rawData[3] = readByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, SELF_TEST_A); // Mixed-axis self-test results
   selfTest[0] = (rawData[0] >> 3) | (rawData[3] & 0x30) >> 4 ; // XA_TEST result is a five-bit unsigned integer
   selfTest[1] = (rawData[1] >> 3) | (rawData[3] & 0x0C) >> 4 ; // YA_TEST result is a five-bit unsigned integer
   selfTest[2] = (rawData[2] >> 3) | (rawData[3] & 0x03) >> 4 ; // ZA_TEST result is a five-bit unsigned integer
   selfTest[3] = rawData[0]  & 0x1F ; // XG_TEST result is a five-bit unsigned integer
   selfTest[4] = rawData[1]  & 0x1F ; // YG_TEST result is a five-bit unsigned integer
   selfTest[5] = rawData[2]  & 0x1F ; // ZG_TEST result is a five-bit unsigned integer   
   factoryTrim[0] = (4096.0f*0.34f)*(pow( (0.92f/0.34f) , ((selfTest[0] - 1.0f)/30.0f))); // FT[Xa] factory trim calculation
   factoryTrim[1] = (4096.0f*0.34f)*(pow( (0.92f/0.34f) , ((selfTest[1] - 1.0f)/30.0f))); // FT[Ya] factory trim calculation
   factoryTrim[2] = (4096.0f*0.34f)*(pow( (0.92f/0.34f) , ((selfTest[2] - 1.0f)/30.0f))); // FT[Za] factory trim calculation
   factoryTrim[3] =  ( 25.0f*131.0f)*(pow( 1.046f , (selfTest[3] - 1.0f) ));             // FT[Xg] factory trim calculation
   factoryTrim[4] =  (-25.0f*131.0f)*(pow( 1.046f , (selfTest[4] - 1.0f) ));             // FT[Yg] factory trim calculation
   factoryTrim[5] =  ( 25.0f*131.0f)*(pow( 1.046f , (selfTest[5] - 1.0f) ));             // FT[Zg] factory trim calculation

//  Serial.println(selfTest[0]); Serial.println(selfTest[1]); Serial.println(selfTest[2]);
 //  Serial.println(selfTest[3]); Serial.println(selfTest[4]); Serial.println(selfTest[5]);
 //  Serial.println(factoryTrim[0]); Serial.println(factoryTrim[1]); Serial.println(factoryTrim[2]);
 //  Serial.println(factoryTrim[3]); Serial.println(factoryTrim[4]); Serial.println(factoryTrim[5]);

// Report results as a ratio of (STR - FT)/FT; the change from Factory Trim of the Self-Test Response
     destination[i] = 100.0f + 100.0f*(selfTest[i] - factoryTrim[i])/factoryTrim[i]; // Report percent differences
   }

}

// Implementation of Sebastian Madgwick's "...efficient orientation filter for... inertial/magnetic sensor arrays"
// (see http://www.x-io.co.uk/category/open-source/ for examples and more details)
// which fuses acceleration and rotation rate to produce a quaternion-based estimate of relative
// device orientation -- which can be converted to yaw, pitch, and roll. Useful for stabilizing quadcopters, etc.
// The performance of the orientation filter is at least as good as conventional Kalman-based filtering algorithms
// but is much less computationally intensive---it can be performed on a 3.3 V Pro Mini operating at 8 MHz!
        void MadgwickQuaternionUpdate(float ax, float ay, float az, float gx, float gy, float gz)
        {
            float q1 = q[0], q2 = q[1], q3 = q[2], q4 = q[3];         // short name local variable for readability
            float f1, f2, f3;                                         // objective funcyion elements
            float J_11or24, J_12or23, J_13or22, J_14or21, J_32, J_33; // objective function Jacobian elements
            float gerrx, gerry, gerrz, gbiasx, gbiasy, gbiasz;  // gyro bias error

float _2q1 = 2.0f * q1;
            float _2q2 = 2.0f * q2;
            float _2q3 = 2.0f * q3;
            float _2q4 = 2.0f * q4;
//            float _2q1q3 = 2.0f * q1 * q3;
//            float _2q3q4 = 2.0f * q3 * q4;

norm = 1.0f/norm;
            ax *= norm;
            ay *= norm;
            az *= norm;

J_11or24 = _2q3;
            J_12or23 = _2q4;
            J_13or22 = _2q1;
            J_14or21 = _2q2;
            J_32 = 2.0f * J_14or21;
            J_33 = 2.0f * J_11or24;

norm = sqrt(hatDot1 * hatDot1 + hatDot2 * hatDot2 + hatDot3 * hatDot3 + hatDot4 * hatDot4);
            hatDot1 /= norm;
            hatDot2 /= norm;
            hatDot3 /= norm;
            hatDot4 /= norm;

//           gx -= gbiasx;
 //           gy -= gbiasy;
 //           gz -= gbiasz;

norm = 1.0f/norm;
            q[0] = q1 * norm;
            q[1] = q2 * norm;
            q[2] = q3 * norm;
            q[3] = q4 * norm;

}

These two sketches are essentially identical and they run at the same filter rate of ~950 Hz, which is a factor of more than five slower than the sketch running on an 84 MHz STM32F401 using mbed's compiler.

Here are the equivalent mbed sketches. The first is the Arduino-like sketch run on an 84 MHz STM32F401 using mbed's compiler.

Code:
#include "mbed.h"
#include "N5110.h"

//
#define XG_OFFS_USRH     0x13  // User-defined trim values for gyroscope; supported in MPU-6050?

#define ADO 0
#if ADO
#define MPU6050_ADDRESS 0x69<<1 // Device address when ADO = 1
#else
#define MPU6050_ADDRESS 0x68<<1  // Device address when ADO = 0
#endif

I2C i2c(I2C_SDA, I2C_SCL);  

DigitalOut myled(LED1);

Serial pc(SERIAL_TX, SERIAL_RX);

//        VCC,   SCE,  RST,  D/C,  MOSI,S CLK, LED
   N5110 lcd(PA_8, PB_10, PA_9, PA_6, PA_7, PA_5, PC_7);

uint8_t color = 0;        // a value from 0 to 255 representing the hue
uint8_t R, G, B;          // the Red Green and Blue color components
uint8_t brightness = 255; // 255 is maximum brightness

enum Ascale {
  AFS_2G = 0,
  AFS_4G,
  AFS_8G,
  AFS_16G
};

enum Gscale {
  GFS_250DPS = 0,
  GFS_500DPS,
  GFS_1000DPS,
  GFS_2000DPS
};

int Gscale = GFS_250DPS;
int Ascale = AFS_2G;

// Pin definitions
int intPin = 12;  // These can be changed, 2 and 3 are the Arduinos ext int pins

int16_t tempCount;   // Stores the real internal chip temperature in degrees Celsius
float temperature;
float SelfTest[6];

uint32_t sumCount= 0;              // For averaging the filter update rate
float sum = 0.0f;                  // For averaging the filter update rate

float PI = 3.141593;
float GyroMeasError = PI * (60.0f / 180.0f);     // gyroscope measurement error in rads/s (start at 60 deg/s), then reduce after ~10 s to 3
float GyroMeasDrift = PI * (0.0f / 180.0f);      // gyroscope measurement drift in rad/s/s (start at 0.0 deg/s/s)
float zeta = sqrt(3.0f / 4.0f) * GyroMeasDrift;  // compute zeta, the other free parameter in the Madgwick scheme usually set to a small or zero value
float pitch, yaw, roll;
float deltat = 0.0f;                              // integration interval for both filter schemes
int lastUpdate = 0, firstUpdate = 0, Now = 0;     // used to calculate integration interval

char data_write[2];
char data_read[2];

Timer t;

{
            float f1, f2, f3;                                         // objetive function elements
            float gerrx, gerry, gerrz, gbiasx, gbiasy, gbiasz;        // gyro bias error

float _2q1 = 2.0f * q1;
            float _2q2 = 2.0f * q2;
            float _2q3 = 2.0f * q3;
            float _2q4 = 2.0f * q4;

norm = 1.0f/norm;
            ax *= norm;
            ay *= norm;
            az *= norm;

J_11or24 = _2q3;
            J_12or23 = _2q4;
            J_13or22 = _2q1;
            J_14or21 = _2q2;
            J_32 = 2.0f * J_14or21;
            J_33 = 2.0f * J_11or24;

hatDot1 /= norm;
            hatDot2 /= norm;
            hatDot3 /= norm;
            hatDot4 /= norm;

//     gx -= gbiasx;
       //     gy -= gbiasy;
      //      gz -= gbiasz;

norm = 1.0f/norm;
            q[0] = q1 * norm;
            q[1] = q2 * norm;
            q[2] = q3 * norm;
            q[3] = q4 * norm;
        }

int main()
{
    t.start();

// Setup
lcd.init();
lcd.setBrightness(0.10);

switch (Ascale)
  {
    case AFS_2G:
          aRes = 2.0/32768.0;
          break;
    case AFS_4G:
          aRes = 4.0/32768.0;
          break;
    case AFS_8G:
          aRes = 8.0/32768.0;
          break;
    case AFS_16G:
          aRes = 16.0/32768.0;
          break;
  }

switch (Gscale)
  {
    case GFS_250DPS:
          gRes = 250.0/32768.0;
          break;
    case GFS_500DPS:
          gRes = 500.0/32768.0;
          break;
    case GFS_1000DPS:
          gRes = 1000.0/32768.0;
          break;
    case GFS_2000DPS:
          gRes = 2000.0/32768.0;
          break;
  }

// Read WHO_AM_I register to make sure we can connect
    data_write[0] = WHO_AM_I_MPU6050;
    i2c.write(MPU6050_ADDRESS, data_write, 1, 1); // no stop
    uint8_t status = i2c.read(MPU6050_ADDRESS, data_read, 1, 0); 
    uint8_t c = data_read[0];   

if (c == 0x68) // WHO_AM_I should always be 0x68
    {  
    pc.printf("MPU6050 is online...\n\r");
    pc.printf("WHO_AM_I = %#x\n\r",  c);
    lcd.clear();
    lcd.printString("MPU6050 OK", 0, 0);  
    lcd.printString("I AM 0x", 10, 0);  lcd.printChar(c);
    }

else 
    {  
    pc.printf("MPU6050 not found...");
    pc.printf("WHO_AM_I = %#x\n\r",  c);
    lcd.clear();
    lcd.printString("I AM NOT 0x", 0, 0); lcd.printChar(c); 

while (1) { // idle here forever
      myled = !myled;
      wait(1.0);
      }
    }  

char rawData[4];
   uint8_t selfTest[6];
   float factoryTrim[6], selfTestdelta[6];

data_write[0] = ACCEL_CONFIG;
   data_write[1] = 0xF0;
   i2c.write(MPU6050_ADDRESS, data_write, 2, 0); // Enable self test on all three axes and set accelerometer range to +/- 8 g
   data_write[0] = GYRO_CONFIG;
   data_write[1] = 0xE0;
   i2c.write(MPU6050_ADDRESS, data_write, 2, 0); // Enable self test on all three axes and set gyro range to +/- 250 degrees/s
   wait(0.250);  // Delay a while to let the device execute the self-test

data_write[0] = SELF_TEST_X;
   i2c.read(MPU6050_ADDRESS, rawData, 4, 0); // Read X, Y, Z, and mixed self-test results

selfTest[0] = ((uint8_t)rawData[0] >> 3) | ((uint8_t)rawData[3] & 0x30) >> 4 ; // XA_TEST result is a five-bit unsigned integer
   selfTest[1] = ((uint8_t)rawData[1] >> 3) | ((uint8_t)rawData[3] & 0x0C) >> 4 ; // YA_TEST result is a five-bit unsigned integer
   selfTest[2] = ((uint8_t)rawData[2] >> 3) | ((uint8_t)rawData[3] & 0x03) >> 4 ; // ZA_TEST result is a five-bit unsigned integer
   selfTest[3] = (uint8_t)rawData[0]  & 0x1F ; // XG_TEST result is a five-bit unsigned integer
   selfTest[4] = (uint8_t)rawData[1]  & 0x1F ; // YG_TEST result is a five-bit unsigned integer
   selfTest[5] = (uint8_t)rawData[2]  & 0x1F ; // ZG_TEST result is a five-bit unsigned integer   

for(int ii = 0; ii < 6; ii++) {
    factoryTrim[ii] = (4096.0f*0.34f)*(pow( (0.92f/0.34f) , (((float)selfTest[ii] - 1.0f)/30.0f))); // FT factory trim calculation
   }

for(int ii = 0; ii < 6; ii++) {
    selfTestdelta[ii] = 100.0f + 100.0f*((float)selfTest[ii] - factoryTrim[ii])/factoryTrim[ii]; // Report percent differences
   }

// Output self-test results and factory trim calculation if desired
    pc.printf("x-axis self test: acceleration trim within : %f", selfTestdelta[0]); pc.printf("% of factory value\n\r");
    pc.printf("y-axis self test: acceleration trim within : %f", selfTestdelta[1]); pc.printf("% of factory value\n\r");
    pc.printf("z-axis self test: acceleration trim within : %f", selfTestdelta[2]); pc.printf("% of factory value\n\r");
    pc.printf("x-axis self test: gyro trim within : %f", selfTestdelta[3]); pc.printf("% of factory value\n\r");
    pc.printf("y-axis self test: gyro trim within : %f", selfTestdelta[4]); pc.printf("% of factory value\n\r");
    pc.printf("z-axis self test: gyro trim within : %f", selfTestdelta[5]); pc.printf("% of factory value\n\r");

if(selfTestdelta[0] < 1.0f && selfTestdelta[1] < 1.0f && selfTestdelta[2] < 1.0f && selfTestdelta[3] < 1.0f && selfTestdelta[4] < 1.0f && selfTestdelta[5] < 1.0f) {
    pc.printf("Pass Selftest!\n\r");  }

// Calibrate the sensors
//+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++   
  char data[14]; // data array to hold accelerometer and gyro x, y, z, data
  uint16_t ii, fifo_count, packet_count;
  int32_t gyro_bias[3]  = {0, 0, 0}, accel_bias[3] = {0, 0, 0};
  float aBias[3], gBias[3];

data_write[0] = PWR_MGMT_1; 
    data_write[1] = 0x80;  // Write a one to bit 7 to reset device
    i2c.write(MPU6050_ADDRESS, data_write, 2, 0);
    wait(0.10);   

data_write[1] = 0x01;   
    data_write[0] = PWR_MGMT_2; 
    data_write[1] = 0x00;  
    wait(0.2);

data_write[0] = INT_ENABLE; 
    data_write[1] = 0x00;    
    i2c.write(MPU6050_ADDRESS, data_write, 2, 0);   // Disable all interrupts
    data_write[0] = FIFO_EN;  
    i2c.write(MPU6050_ADDRESS, data_write, 2, 0);   // Disable FIFO
    i2c.write(MPU6050_ADDRESS, data_write, 2, 0);   // Enable internal clock
    data_write[0] = I2C_MST_CTRL;  
    i2c.write(MPU6050_ADDRESS, data_write, 2, 0);   // Disable I2C master
    data_write[0] = USER_CTRL;  
    i2c.write(MPU6050_ADDRESS, data_write, 2, 0);   // Disable FIFO and I2C master modes
    data_write[1] = 0x0C;    
    i2c.write(MPU6050_ADDRESS, data_write, 2, 0);   // Reset FIFO and DMP
    wait(0.015);

data_write[0] = CONFIG;  
    data_write[1] = 0x01;    
    i2c.write(MPU6050_ADDRESS, data_write, 2, 0);   // Set low-pass filter to 188 Hz
    data_write[0] = SMPLRT_DIV;  
    data_write[1] = 0x00;    
    i2c.write(MPU6050_ADDRESS, data_write, 2, 0);   // Set sample rate to 1 kHz
    data_write[1] = 0x00;    
    i2c.write(MPU6050_ADDRESS, data_write, 2, 0);   // Set gyro full-scale to 250 degrees per second, maximum sensitivity
    data_write[1] = 0x00;    
    i2c.write(MPU6050_ADDRESS, data_write, 2, 0);   // Set accelerometer full-scale to 2 g, maximum sensitivity
    wait(0.2);

data_write[1] = 0x40;    
    i2c.write(MPU6050_ADDRESS, data_write, 2, 0);  // Enable FIFO
    data_write[0] = FIFO_EN;
    data_write[1] = 0x78;    
    i2c.write(MPU6050_ADDRESS, data_write, 2, 0);  // Enable gyro and accelerometer sensors for FIFO  (max size 1024 bytes in MPU-6050)
    wait(0.080); // accumulate 80 samples in 80 milliseconds = 960 bytes

data_write[0] = FIFO_EN;
    data_write[1] = 0x00;    
    i2c.write(MPU6050_ADDRESS, data_write, 2, 0); // Disable gyro and accelerometer sensors for FIFO

data_write[0] = FIFO_COUNTH;
    i2c.read(MPU6050_ADDRESS, data_read, 2, 0); // read FIFO sample count
    fifo_count = ((uint16_t)data_read[0] << 8) | data_read[1];

data_write[0] = FIFO_R_W;
    i2c.read(MPU6050_ADDRESS, data, 12, 0); // read data for averaging
    accel_temp[0] = (int16_t) (((int16_t)data[0]  << 8) | data[1]  ) ;  // Form signed 16-bit integer for each sample in FIFO
    accel_temp[1] = (int16_t) (((int16_t)data[2]  << 8) | data[3]  ) ;
    accel_temp[2] = (int16_t) (((int16_t)data[4]  << 8) | data[5]  ) ;    
    gyro_temp[0]  = (int16_t) (((int16_t)data[6]  << 8) | data[7]  ) ;
    gyro_temp[1]  = (int16_t) (((int16_t)data[8]  << 8) | data[9]  ) ;
    gyro_temp[2]  = (int16_t) (((int16_t)data[10] << 8) | data[11] ) ;

}

if(accel_bias[2] > 0) {accel_bias[2] -= (int32_t)accelsensitivity;}  // Remove gravity from the z-axis accelerometer bias calculation
    else {accel_bias[2] += (int32_t)accelsensitivity;}

data[0] = ((-gyro_bias[0]/4  >> 8) & 0xFF); // Divide by 4 to get 32.9 LSB per deg/s to conform to expected bias input format
    data[1] = ((-gyro_bias[0]/4)       & 0xFF); // Biases are additive, so change sign on calculated average gyro biases
    data[2] = ((-gyro_bias[1]/4  >> 8) & 0xFF);
    data[3] = ((-gyro_bias[1]/4)       & 0xFF);
    data[4] = ((-gyro_bias[2]/4  >> 8) & 0xFF);
    data[5] = ((-gyro_bias[2]/4)       & 0xFF);

data_write[0] = XG_OFFS_USRH;
    data_write[1] = data[0];
    data_write[0] = XG_OFFS_USRL;
    data_write[1] = data[1];
    data_write[0] = YG_OFFS_USRH;
    data_write[1] = data[2];
    data_write[0] = YG_OFFS_USRL;
    data_write[1] = data[3];
    data_write[0] = ZG_OFFS_USRH;
    data_write[1] = data[4];
    data_write[0] = ZG_OFFS_USRL;
    data_write[1] = data[5];

gBias[0] = (float) gyro_bias[0]/(float) gyrosensitivity; // construct gyro bias in deg/s for later manual subtraction
    gBias[1] = (float) gyro_bias[1]/(float) gyrosensitivity;
    gBias[2] = (float) gyro_bias[2]/(float) gyrosensitivity;

pc.printf("x gyro bias = %f\n\r", gBias[0]);
    pc.printf("y gyro bias = %f\n\r", gBias[1]);
    pc.printf("z gyro bias = %f\n\r", gBias[2]);

int16_t accel_bias_reg[3] = {0, 0, 0}; // A place to hold the factory accelerometer trim biases
  data_write[0] = XA_OFFSET_H;
  i2c.read(MPU6050_ADDRESS, data, 2, 0); // Read x-axis factory accelerometer trim values
  accel_bias_reg[0] = (int16_t)(((int16_t)data[0] << 8) | data[1]);
  data_write[0] = YA_OFFSET_H;
  i2c.read(MPU6050_ADDRESS, data, 2, 0); // Read y-axis factory accelerometer trim values
  accel_bias_reg[1] = (int16_t)(((int16_t)data[0] << 8) | data[1]);
  data_write[0] = ZA_OFFSET_H;
  i2c.read(MPU6050_ADDRESS, data, 2, 0); // Read z-axis factory accelerometer trim values
  accel_bias_reg[2] = (int16_t)(((int16_t)data[0] << 8) | data[1]);

int16_t mask = 0x0001; // Define mask for temperature compensation bit 0 of lower byte of accelerometer bias registers

}

accel_bias_reg[0] -= accel_bias[0]/8; // Subtract calculated averaged accelerometer bias scaled to 2048 LSB/g (16 g full scale)
  accel_bias_reg[1] -= accel_bias[1]/8;
  accel_bias_reg[2] -= accel_bias[2]/8;

// Push accel biases to hardware registers
    data_write[0] = XA_OFFSET_H;
    data_write[1] = data[0];
    data_write[0] = XA_OFFSET_L_TC;
    data_write[1] = data[1];
    data_write[0] = YA_OFFSET_H;
    data_write[1] = data[2];
    data_write[0] = YA_OFFSET_L_TC;
    data_write[1] = data[3];
    data_write[0] = ZA_OFFSET_H;
    data_write[1] = data[4];
    data_write[0] = ZA_OFFSET_L_TC;
    data_write[1] = data[5];

aBias[0] = (float)accel_bias[0]/(float)accelsensitivity; 
    aBias[1] = (float)accel_bias[1]/(float)accelsensitivity;
    aBias[2] = (float)accel_bias[2]/(float)accelsensitivity;

pc.printf("x accel bias = %f\n\r", aBias[0]);
    pc.printf("y accel bias = %f\n\r", aBias[1]);
    pc.printf("z accel bias = %f\n\r", aBias[2]);

// initialize the MPU-6050 device for data output
    //+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ 
    data_write[1] = 0x00;  //  Clear sleep mode bit (6), enable all sensors 
    wait(0.10); // wait for PLL to get established

data_write[1] = 0x01;  //  Set clock source to be PLL with x-axis gyroscope reference, bits 2:0 = 001

data_write[0] = CONFIG;
    data_write[1] = 0x03;

data_write[0] = SMPLRT_DIV;
    data_write[1] = 0x04; // Use a 200 Hz rate; the same rate set in CONFIG above

data_write[1] = Gscale << 3; // Set full scale range for the gyro

data_write[1] = Ascale << 3; // Set full scale range for the accelerometer

data_write[0] = INT_PIN_CFG;
    data_write[1] = 0x22; 
    data_write[0] = INT_ENABLE;
    data_write[1] = 0x01; // Enable data ready interrupt

//+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
  while(1) {  // basic loop

// Read all data registers
    data_write[0] = ACCEL_XOUT_H;
    i2c.read(MPU6050_ADDRESS, data, 14, 0);
    int16_t ax_count =   (int16_t)((int16_t)data[0]  << 8) | data[1];
    int16_t ay_count =   (int16_t)((int16_t)data[2]  << 8) | data[3];
    int16_t az_count =   (int16_t)((int16_t)data[4]  << 8) | data[5];
    int16_t temp_count = (int16_t)((int16_t)data[6]  << 8) | data[7];
    int16_t gx_count =   (int16_t)((int16_t)data[8]  << 8) | data[9];
    int16_t gy_count =   (int16_t)((int16_t)data[10] << 8) | data[11];
    int16_t gz_count =   (int16_t)((int16_t)data[12] << 8) | data[13];

// Get scale results
    float ax = ax_count*aRes; // - aBias[0];
    float ay = ay_count*aRes; // - aBias[1];
    float az = az_count*aRes; // - aBias[2];
    float temp = temp_count/340. + 36.53;
    float gx = gx_count*gRes; // - gBias[0];
    float gy = gy_count*gRes; // - gBias[1];
    float gz = gz_count*gRes; // - gBias[2];

Now = t.read_us();
    deltat = (float)((Now - lastUpdate)/1000000.0f); // set integration time by time elapsed since last filter update
    lastUpdate = Now; 

sum += deltat;
    sumCount++;

delt_t = t.read_ms() - count;   

myled = !myled;

pc.printf("ax = %f",  ax); 
    pc.printf(" ay = %f",  ay); 
    pc.printf(" az = %f\n\r", az);

pc.printf("gx = %f",  gx); 
    pc.printf(" gy = %f",  gy); 
    pc.printf(" gz = %f\n\r", gz);

pc.printf("Temp = %f", temp);
    pc.printf(" C\n\r");

pc.printf("q0 = %f\n\r", q[0]);
    pc.printf("q1 = %f\n\r", q[1]);
    pc.printf("q2 = %f\n\r", q[2]);
    pc.printf("q3 = %f\n\r", q[3]);   

pitch *= 180.0f / PI;
    yaw   *= 180.0f / PI; 
    roll  *= 180.0f / PI;

pc.printf("Yaw, Pitch, Roll: %f %f %f\n\r", yaw, pitch, roll);
    pc.printf("average rate = %f\n\r", (float) sumCount/sum, 2);

count = t.read_ms();  
    sum = 0;
    sumCount = 0;
  }
 }
}

This runs at a filter update rate of about 950 Hz, same as the Teensy 3.1. So far all three of these sketches perform the same.

Here is the mbed sketch that is the outlier. This is the main part:

Code:
/* MPU6050 Basic Example Code
 date: May 1, 2014

board.

Hardware setup:

*/

#include "mbed.h"
#include "MPU6050.h"
#include "N5110.h"

//Adafruit_PCD8544 display = Adafruit_PCD8544(9, 8, 7, 5, 6);

float sum = 0;
uint32_t sumCount = 0;

MPU6050 mpu6050;

Timer t;

Serial pc(USBTX, USBRX); // tx, rx

//        VCC,   SCE,  RST,  D/C,  MOSI,S CLK, LED
   N5110 lcd(PA_8, PB_10, PA_9, PA_6, PA_7, PA_5, PC_7);

PwmOut red(PB_3);  // Define output to RGB LED for three color variables from pwm pins
   PwmOut blue(PB_4);
   PwmOut green(PB_5);

int main()
{
  pc.baud(9600);  

//Set up I2C
  i2c.frequency(400000);  // use fast (400 kHz) I2C   

t.start();        

lcd.init();
  lcd.setBrightness(0.05);

uint8_t whoami = mpu6050.readByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, WHO_AM_I_MPU6050);  // Read WHO_AM_I register for MPU-6050
  pc.printf("I AM 0x%x\n\r", whoami); pc.printf("I SHOULD BE 0x68\n\r");

if (whoami == 0x68) // WHO_AM_I should always be 0x68
  {  
    pc.printf("MPU6050 is online...");
    wait(1);
    lcd.clear();
    lcd.printString("MPU6050 OK", 0, 0);

mpu6050.MPU6050SelfTest(SelfTest); // Start by performing self test and reporting values
    pc.printf("x-axis self test: acceleration trim within : "); pc.printf("%f", SelfTest[0]); pc.printf("% of factory value \n\r");
    pc.printf("y-axis self test: acceleration trim within : "); pc.printf("%f", SelfTest[1]); pc.printf("% of factory value \n\r");
    pc.printf("z-axis self test: acceleration trim within : "); pc.printf("%f", SelfTest[2]); pc.printf("% of factory value \n\r");
    pc.printf("x-axis self test: gyration trim within : "); pc.printf("%f", SelfTest[3]); pc.printf("% of factory value \n\r");
    pc.printf("y-axis self test: gyration trim within : "); pc.printf("%f", SelfTest[4]); pc.printf("% of factory value \n\r");
    pc.printf("z-axis self test: gyration trim within : "); pc.printf("%f", SelfTest[5]); pc.printf("% of factory value \n\r");
    wait(1);

if(SelfTest[0] < 1.0f && SelfTest[1] < 1.0f && SelfTest[2] < 1.0f && SelfTest[3] < 1.0f && SelfTest[4] < 1.0f && SelfTest[5] < 1.0f) 
    {
    mpu6050.resetMPU6050(); // Reset registers to default in preparation for device calibration
    mpu6050.calibrateMPU6050(gyroBias, accelBias); // Calibrate gyro and accelerometers, load biases in bias registers  
    mpu6050.initMPU6050(); pc.printf("MPU6050 initialized for active data mode....\n\r"); // Initialize device for active mode read of acclerometer, gyroscope, and temperature
    lcd.clear();
    lcd.printString("MPU6050", 0, 0);
    lcd.printString("pass sel test", 0, 1);
    lcd.printString("initializing", 0, 2);  
    wait(2);
       }
    else
    {
    pc.printf("Device did not the pass self-test!\n\r");

lcd.clear();
       lcd.printString("no pass", 0, 1);
       lcd.printString("self test", 0, 2);      
      }
    }
    else
    {
    pc.printf("Could not connect to MPU6050: \n\r");
    pc.printf("%#x \n",  whoami);

lcd.clear();
    lcd.printString("no connection", 0, 1);
    lcd.printString("0x", 0, 2);  lcd.setXYAddress(20, 2); lcd.printChar( c);

}

while(1) {

if(mpu6050.readByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, INT_STATUS) & 0x01) {  // check if data ready interrupt
    mpu6050.readAccelData(accelCount);  // Read the x/y/z adc values
    mpu6050.getAres();

ax = (float)accelCount[0]*aRes - accelBias[0];  // get actual g value, this depends on scale being set
    ay = (float)accelCount[1]*aRes - accelBias[1];   
    az = (float)accelCount[2]*aRes - accelBias[2];  

mpu6050.readGyroData(gyroCount);  // Read the x/y/z adc values
    mpu6050.getGres();

gx = (float)gyroCount[0]*gRes; // - gyroBias[0];  // get actual gyro value, this depends on scale being set
    gy = (float)gyroCount[1]*gRes; // - gyroBias[1];  
    gz = (float)gyroCount[2]*gRes; // - gyroBias[2];   

tempCount = mpu6050.readTempData();  // Read the x/y/z adc values
    temperature = (tempCount) / 340. + 36.53; // Temperature in degrees Centigrade
   }  

Now = t.read_us();
    deltat = (float)((Now - lastUpdate)/1000000.0f) ; // set integration time by time elapsed since last filter update
    lastUpdate = Now;

sum += deltat;
    sumCount++;

if(lastUpdate - firstUpdate > 10000000.0f) {
     beta = 0.04;  // decrease filter gain after stabilized
     zeta = 0.015; // increasey bias drift gain after stabilized
    }
    mpu6050.MadgwickQuaternionUpdate(ax, ay, az, gx*PI/180.0f, gy*PI/180.0f, gz*PI/180.0f);

delt_t = t.read_ms() - count;

pc.printf("ax = %f", 1000*ax); 
    pc.printf(" ay = %f", 1000*ay); 
    pc.printf(" az = %f  mg\n\r", 1000*az); 

pc.printf("gx = %f", gx); 
    pc.printf(" gy = %f", gy); 
    pc.printf(" gz = %f  deg/s\n\r", gz); 

pc.printf(" temperature = %f  C\n\r", temperature); 

pc.printf("q0 = %f\n\r", q[0]);
    pc.printf("q1 = %f\n\r", q[1]);
    pc.printf("q2 = %f\n\r", q[2]);
    pc.printf("q3 = %f\n\r", q[3]);      

pitch *= 180.0f / PI;
    yaw   *= 180.0f / PI; 
    roll  *= 180.0f / PI;

pc.printf("Yaw, Pitch, Roll: \n\r");
    pc.printf("%f", yaw);
    pc.printf(", ");
    pc.printf("%f", pitch);
    pc.printf(", ");
    pc.printf("%f\n\r", roll);
    pc.printf("average rate = "); pc.printf("%f", (sumCount/sum)); pc.printf(" Hz\n\r");

myled= !myled;
    count = t.read_ms(); 
    sum = 0;
    sumCount = 0; 
}
}

}

And this is the header file or library:

Code:
#ifndef MPU6050_H
#define MPU6050_H

#include "mbed.h"
#include "math.h"

//

#define ADO 0
#if ADO
#define MPU6050_ADDRESS 0x69<<1  // Device address when ADO = 1
#else
#define MPU6050_ADDRESS 0x68<<1  // Device address when ADO = 0
#endif
const char invert = false; // set true if common anode, false if common cathode

uint8_t color = 0;        // a value from 0 to 255 representing the hue
uint8_t R, G, B;          // the Red Green and Blue color components
uint8_t brightness = 255; // 255 is maximum brightness

enum Ascale {
  AFS_2G = 0,
  AFS_4G,
  AFS_8G,
  AFS_16G
};

enum Gscale {
  GFS_250DPS = 0,
  GFS_500DPS,
  GFS_1000DPS,
  GFS_2000DPS
};

int Gscale = GFS_250DPS;
int Ascale = AFS_2G;

//Set up I2C, (SDA,SCL)
I2C i2c(I2C_SDA, I2C_SCL);

DigitalOut myled(LED1);

// Pin definitions
int intPin = 12;  // These can be changed, 2 and 3 are the Arduinos ext int pins

float temperature;
float SelfTest[6];

float PI = 3.14159265358979323846f;
float GyroMeasDrift = PI * (1.0f / 180.0f);      // gyroscope measurement drift in rad/s/s (start at 0.0 deg/s/s)
float pitch, yaw, roll;
int lastUpdate = 0, firstUpdate = 0, Now = 0;     // used to calculate integration interval                               // used to calculate integration interval

class MPU6050 {

protected:

public:

{
   char data_write[2];
   data_write[0] = subAddress;
   data_write[1] = data;
   i2c.write(address, data_write, 2, 0);
}

char readByte(uint8_t address, uint8_t subAddress)
{
    char data[1]; // `data` will store the register data     
    char data_write[1];
    i2c.write(address, data_write, 1, 1); // no stop
    i2c.read(address, data, 1, 0); 
    return data[0]; 
}

{     
    char data[12];
    char data_write[1];
    i2c.write(address, data_write, 1, 1); // no stop
    i2c.read(address, data, count, 0); 
        for(int ii = 0; ii < count; ii++) {
            dest[ii] = data[ii];
        }
} 

void getGres() {
  switch (Gscale)
  {
    case GFS_250DPS:
          gRes = 250.0/32768.0;
          break;
    case GFS_500DPS:
          gRes = 500.0/32768.0;
          break;
    case GFS_1000DPS:
          gRes = 1000.0/32768.0;
          break;
    case GFS_2000DPS:
          gRes = 2000.0/32768.0;
          break;
  }
}

void getAres() {
  switch (Ascale)
  {
    case AFS_2G:
          aRes = 2.0/32768.0;
          break;
    case AFS_4G:
          aRes = 4.0/32768.0;
          break;
    case AFS_8G:
          aRes = 8.0/32768.0;
          break;
    case AFS_16G:
          aRes = 16.0/32768.0;
          break;
  }
}

{
}

{
}

int16_t readTempData()
{
  return (int16_t)(((int16_t)rawData[0]) << 8 | rawData[1]) ;  // Turn the MSB and LSB into a 16-bit value
}

void LowPowerAccelOnly()
{

wait(0.1);  // Add delay for accumulation of samples

}

void resetMPU6050() {
  // reset device
  wait(0.1);
  }

void initMPU6050()
{  
 // Initialize MPU6050 device
 // wake up device
  wait(0.1); // Delay 100 ms for PLL to get established on x-axis gyro; should check for PLL ready interrupt  

}

{  

wait(0.1);  

wait(0.2);

wait(0.015);

wait(0.08); // accumulate 80 samples in 80 milliseconds = 960 bytes

}

}

//  writeByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, XA_OFFSET_H, data[0]);  
//  writeByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, XA_OFFSET_L_TC, data[1]);
//  writeByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, YA_OFFSET_H, data[2]);
//  writeByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, YA_OFFSET_L_TC, data[3]);  
//  writeByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, ZA_OFFSET_H, data[4]);
//  writeByte(MPU6050_ADDRESS, ZA_OFFSET_L_TC, data[5]);

}

{
   uint8_t rawData[4] = {0, 0, 0, 0};
   uint8_t selfTest[6];
   float factoryTrim[6];

wait(0.25);  // Delay a while to let the device execute the self-test
   factoryTrim[0] = (4096.0f*0.34f)*(pow( (0.92f/0.34f) , ((selfTest[0] - 1.0f)/30.0f))); // FT[Xa] factory trim calculation
   factoryTrim[1] = (4096.0f*0.34f)*(pow( (0.92f/0.34f) , ((selfTest[1] - 1.0f)/30.0f))); // FT[Ya] factory trim calculation
   factoryTrim[2] = (4096.0f*0.34f)*(pow( (0.92f/0.34f) , ((selfTest[2] - 1.0f)/30.0f))); // FT[Za] factory trim calculation
   factoryTrim[3] =  ( 25.0f*131.0f)*(pow( 1.046f , (selfTest[3] - 1.0f) ));             // FT[Xg] factory trim calculation
   factoryTrim[4] =  (-25.0f*131.0f)*(pow( 1.046f , (selfTest[4] - 1.0f) ));             // FT[Yg] factory trim calculation
   factoryTrim[5] =  ( 25.0f*131.0f)*(pow( 1.046f , (selfTest[5] - 1.0f) ));             // FT[Zg] factory trim calculation

destination[i] = 100.0f + 100.0f*(selfTest[i] - factoryTrim[i])/factoryTrim[i]; // Report percent differences
   }

}

{
            float f1, f2, f3;                                         // objective funcyion elements
            float gerrx, gerry, gerrz, gbiasx, gbiasy, gbiasz;  // gyro bias error

float _2q1 = 2.0f * q1;
            float _2q2 = 2.0f * q2;
            float _2q3 = 2.0f * q3;
            float _2q4 = 2.0f * q4;
//            float _2q1q3 = 2.0f * q1 * q3;
//            float _2q3q4 = 2.0f * q3 * q4;

norm = 1.0f/norm;
            ax *= norm;
            ay *= norm;
            az *= norm;

J_11or24 = _2q3;
            J_12or23 = _2q4;
            J_13or22 = _2q1;
            J_14or21 = _2q2;
            J_32 = 2.0f * J_14or21;
            J_33 = 2.0f * J_11or24;

hatDot1 /= norm;
            hatDot2 /= norm;
            hatDot3 /= norm;
            hatDot4 /= norm;

//           gx -= gbiasx;
 //           gy -= gbiasy;
 //           gz -= gbiasz;

norm = 1.0f/norm;
            q[0] = q1 * norm;
            q[1] = q2 * norm;
            q[2] = q3 * norm;
            q[3] = q4 * norm;

}

};
#endif

There are some differences. I had to rewrite the Serial print and led display calls, there is no Wire.h library available in mbed so I used whatever i2c library was available and had to rewrite the register read/write functions accordingly.

One curious result is that using the Teensy 3.1 I noticed that when I use an interrupt to check for data ready, the filter update rate slows by a factor of two. This is a surprising result since I have always thought that status register polling was slower than hardware interrupt for data ready checking.

So I have learned that I can slow down the rate by a factor of two just by changing one line of code, just rearranging the code into separate files by itself produces no change in performance, I don't see an obvious branching problem or any significant differences between the four sketches, and there is still something mysterious happening in the code that uses the .h library albeit using a non-Teensy ARM and non-Teensduino so there might not be strong motivation to care too much in this forum. I am sorry to bombard you all with this avalanche of code. I tried to produce a .h-like library MPU6050 class in Teensyduino so I could reproduce the factor of five difference on the Teensy but I don't understand what I am doing well enough to have got it to work just yet. I'd like to reproduce this factor of five speed up on the Teensy; if anyone can suggest a path forward to solve this mystery I would be grateful. Thanks.

Last edited:
One last observation for the night. I noticed other differences between the mbed versions, in particular, I had an i2c.frequency(400000) call in the 'fast' skecth but not in the 'slow' one. When I added the call the slow one sped up by a factor of 4, as it should have. The differences between the sketches on mbed are now 1620 Hz vs 5500 Hz. This compared to 950 Hz on Teensy 3.1 for similar processors running at similar speeds.

I changed my version of the Arduino Wire.h library as follows several weeks ago:

We are also using the 400 kHz fast I2C mode by setting the TWI_FREQ to 400000L /twi.h utility file.

Does Teensyduino respect these changes or does it run on its own version of Wire? If it is running at only 100 kHz, this might explain most of the factor of five performance difference. Of course, mbed doesn't use Wire.h.

Here is the mbed sketch that is the outlier.

Well, yes, of course it is, mainly because of this:

Code:
  //Set up I2C
  i2c.frequency(400000);  // use fast (400 kHz) I2C

The FPU also matters.....

There are some differences. I had to rewrite the Serial print and led display calls, there is no Wire.h library available in mbed so I used whatever i2c library was available and had to rewrite the register read/write functions accordingly.

Just "some differences" ?!!

The 4X faster I2C clock, in an application that's spending most of it's time reading data from I2C-based motion sensor chips, is course the main reason why it's running so much faster. The presence of a FPU to accelerate the floating point calculations also makes a difference.

The code structure, C-only functions vs C++ objects, makes virtually no difference compared to a faster I2C clock and FPU hardware!

I ran your code (the one from message #14) on a Teensy 3.1 with a FreeIMU board. Mine runs at 940 Hz. Maybe my (very old) MPU6050 chip is slightly slower?

I had to download the Adafruit_PCD8544 library. I got the latest from Adafruit's GitHub page, which seems to be a different version that you're using, since it requires #include <SPI.h>, which you didn't have in the code. So my test is not exactly the same code you're running, since I don't have exactly the same version of Adafruit_PCD8544.

I edited the code, to add this after Wire.begin().

Code:
  TWBR = 12;  // 400 kbit/sec I2C speed

With this change, my Teensy 3.1 + old FreeIMU board is running at 2930 Hz.

To see if the display makes a difference, I commented out the display update near the end up loop(). With that change, I see about 2955 Hz. I'll attach the exact code I tested.

Attachments

• sketch_jun26a.zip
    12.3 KB · Views: 160
I believe there's 2 clear results here.

#1 - The actual hardware speed, I2C clock and FPU, are responsible for the huge speed difference, not a mere restructuring of the code from C++ or C style functions as originally claimed.

#2 - Posting the actual code saves everyone a lot of time and guesswork! (if you remember only one of these, please make it this one)

Speaking of FPU, at one point Paul, you had mentioned a successor chip that you can't talk about due to NDA issues. I realize you still can't talk about it in public, but I would re-iterate that it would be nice if the chip supported floating point. There are some apps like GPS that could benefit from hardware floating point. Of course, everything is subject to cost/benefit tradeoffs, and it may not make sense for PJRC.com to go in that direction.

Thanks for taking time to look at this Paul.

I suspected the i2c speed as discussed in post #19. If I change the i2c frequency by setting the TWI_FREQ to 400000L in the /twi.h utility file of the Wire.h library, shouldn't this be enough or does the Teensy require the extra line in the main code?

I appreciate both of your points from post #22; I would have posted the code earlier but I do not have access to it at my day job.

BTW, the seg fault I was seeing (reported as a bug) in the Adafruit graphics library at 96 MHz might be fixed by the library update; I'll check it tonight to see if it still crashes.

I still have a factor of three difference between my two mbed sketches, which I will keep working on to figure out by eliminating differences one by one. This kind of grunt work I CAN do. I'll find whatever is the 'culprit'. In the meantime, I am very happy to be able to run this sketch at ~3000 Hz using Teensy 3.1. I hope your fix will improve the speed with other sensors as well. Thanks again and I'm sorry for any trouble I have caused.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back