Advice needed: Teensy 3.1 - OctoWS2811 - SD card all together

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoreyCoop

I'm about to try a project using the Teensy 3.1, running WS2812 LEDs, that also needs an SD card. I have the OctoWS2811 card, all well and good. I also bought the Micro SD Card adaptor not noticing that it was set up for the Teensy 2.0, but I found the thread on using it with 3.1.

I'm looking now at the Wiz820+SD Adaptor card to use it without the Wiz ethernet, just to use it for the SD card interface, so I don't have to solder a custom board to adapt to the Micro SD Card Adaptor. There are plusses and minuses each way, and I'll probably use the Micro SD Card adaptor just because I can make it fit better physically. However, does anyone have any suggestions or advice about that?

More to the point, the OctoWS2811 and the Wiz820+SD Adaptor have a couple of pin conflicts, which I would assume (comments anyone?) would be the case even if I use the smaller Micro SD Card Adaptor. Specifically, pin 4 is used for CS for the SD card, which according to http://forum.pjrc.com/threads/16758-Teensy-3-MicroSD-guide can be redirected for the SD card to another pin. More to the point, the OctoWS2811 card uses pin 12:DIN (aka MISO in SPI terms) for the Frame sync pin. Can this pin be re-directed, and or just ignored (cut the trace) since I am not syncing this with any other units?

Any info or advice on combining these two would be helpful. I'm an old hand at 8051 micros (professionally since '89) but I'm new to Arduino. I've only done a couple of Arduino (Mega 2560) projects, and this is my first Teensy/ARM/Arduino project. I have not yet dug into code, I'm in the collecting info and parts phase, but I'm on a short time frame, this has to be ready for Burning Man in 3 weeks!

Thanks!

I know that the Teensy 3.1 + OctoWS2811 Adapter + WIZ820 Adpter (for the SD Socket) works to power up a whole lot of LEDs. Freescale had a very large LED display at MakerFaire that was set up in just such a way. (here are some pictures of it http://forum.pjrc.com/threads/25798-Maker-Faire-in-San-Mateo?p=48028&viewfull=1#post48028 )

Paul did all the technical work and hopefully will chime win with the technical details. Sorry, I'm no good there.

BTW, I love hearing about Teensys going to the Playa!

I'll probably be doing my art project with Teensy, that's what this post is about, and if I have time (looking doubtful right now) I'll also be using it for more LED stuff for a "wearable", a frined is making a white fur (but thin) robe sorta thing, (referred by my wife as the pimp jacket) that I'm going to wear over whatever led stuff I can manage to sew onto a pair of paints and a shirt to wear under it at night. The LEDs look great under the fur-fabric, I just have to find the time to program a teensy, deal with batteries, and sew some stuff together. Might end up for next year...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back