My hackaday astronomy project

Status
Not open for further replies.

christoph

I'm creating a device for the current hackaday prize and finally came around to making a video. Deadline for uploading one is tomorrow so I'm kinda early, but satisfied.

Project page: https://hackaday.io/project/1052-explorad

Video (better watch it on the youtube site as annotations seem to be better there):

The Teensy 3.1 is doing an awesome job, really. I'm now porting the code to teensyduino 1.20, which needs some work. While I'm doing that, I'll also update the DmaSpi library to use SPI transactions. Some of you might know that I've already created a thread for that, but a 10-day business trip came in the way so things got stuck.

Regards

Christoph

Last edited:
When you say "loading from the catalog" are you getting that data from WiFi?
No, currently not. The catalogue is stored on a microSD card. Most astronomical objects have fixed positions that won't change a lot during the next 50 years, so that's no problem. What's missing is data for the planets in our solar system (or the ISS and other satellites), and I'd like not to calculate their positions but rather to grab them from the internet. WiFi would be used in that case. I also thought about adding an in-app game to play, and WiFi could be used for multiplayer features (that would be so cool!).
What is this? I can only find version 1.19...
That's a typo, I fixed it. Thanks! But looking at how teensyduino is evolving, 2.10 and the hardware available for it will surely be awesome.

Regards

Christoph

I didn't make it into the semifinals (read: I didn't get through the first round of judging), but I'll try to finish it anyway. Lots of cool stuff still to develop, and most of it will only turn out better now that I have more time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back