So i'm trying to make a RGB matrix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luis

Hi everyone.

So for mostly learning purposes and because it's really cool, i decided to see how many LEDs i could control with only 1 microcontroler.
Well i am not a AVR fan, i'm actually allot into Tiva ARM-M4 from Texas Instruments so i made the controller with a Tiva.

I don't know if it's going to be made due to how expensive it can be to make such a RGB matrix so i thought of posting the project here since it was where i learn more about the WS2812B and i use components like the OctoWS2811 Adaptor. I once actualy used the teensy to control WS2812 with the library when i still only knew how to program in arduino "language".
But well, i am in a electronics course so i got to learn how to really program and this was a project that i learned really so much.

Now the "final" result, not exactly final because i want to optimize the control and add a way to receive data by UART.
I got up to 32 parallel outputs and confirmed all 32 outputs working with at least 120 LEDs, i only had a 2m 60/m strip so i switched it around the outputs and also used a logic analyzer to test it.
The memory usage wasn't the best due to the kind of control i used, it's possible to use 3x less ram that it's currently being used but it involves a much more complex control. The uController i used has 256Kb Ram so it still can control easily about 8000 LEDs.

Here it is a bit of explanation on how i used the UController resources to control the WS2812. It's a bit different since, even though it's a ARM-M like the teensy, there are differences between ARM
https://sites.google.com/site/luiselectronicprojects/rgb-matrix

I hope you like it, and i hope you aren't mad for using other MCU other than the teensy but i really don't even know how to turn on a LED with a AVR :p
Maybe this will show you that the newer ARM-M4 that there is

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back