SSL / HTTPS - not on Arduino Yun....Teensy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You would need to port all of the bits from Linux to the Teensy. Perhaps it is possible, perhaps not. It depends on your skill level and how much you really want it on the Teensy platform. I suspect for most people, it would be easier to just get a Linux board like the Rasberry Pi or Beagle Bone Black and run the web/SSL stuff there. Perhaps using a Teensy/Linux microprocessor combo, to do the real time stuff on the Teensy and networking stuff on the Pi/BBB. The Yun is essentially such a combo, where they have two chips in the same box.

Last edited:
Smallest SSL I've seen, intended for embedded systems, a commercial product, was 50-100KB of code a quite a bit of RAM.

Yep, SSL and public key crypto aren't simple or small. Maybe someone will write such a library... maybe I'll even do it someday? But it seems unlikely such code could ever fit into the 30K flash and 2K RAM on Arduino Uno, which limits the number of people who might attempt such a feat.

Greets,
( http://arduino.stackexchange.com/questions/4/how-to-get-https-on-arduino )

according to that, the SSL library is too large for the Yun. Can the teensy handle it ?

Goal is to make a thingspeak connection over port 443 (https) instead of the default 80. The Thingspeak public server accepts this.

As others here and on stackexchange already covered, letting the linux side of the Yun handle SSL makes much more sense. When I need solid network performance (especially if there will be any connection concurrency, SSL, etc), I prefer to have a linux/microprocessor combo of some kind. This includes a RPi + teensy, the Yun, Galileo, or (if you dont mind assembly to get at the microcontrollers) the BeagleBone black. OTOH, if all I need is dirt-simple ethernet connectivity, I use UDP and a $4 ENC28J60 (don't even think about doing any heavy traffic w/ that guy).

Today Linux seems to be the best solution.

Someday, someone (who knows, maybe me) will write a small, microcontroller-oriented SSL library. Then the trade-offs will seem different.

Today Linux seems to be the best solution.

Someday, someone (who knows, maybe me) will write a small, microcontroller-oriented SSL library. Then the trade-offs will seem different.

Perhaps... but I'd imagine you'd still be quite limited in terms of amount of traffic, concurrency, etc. And what would the cost be? Higher end ethernet solutions that work w/ microcontrollers end up costing $20-$30, at which point you'd still potentially be bettter-served by paring a teensy 3.x with a $25 pi model A. 256MB of ram and easily accessible async request handling frameworks are hard to beat.

The whole hybrid linux/MC combo makes sense, but nobody has done it very well just yet... Yun is "meh", as is Galilleo, etc. BBB would be amazing if the built-in microcontrollers had some teensy-like arduino compatibility, but no luck.

I tell you, if PJRC sold a linux/teensy hybrid with built-in ethernet and/or WiFi, I'd buy the s**t out of it! I have no doubt it would be the best such hybrid out there:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back