Q wrt Rainbow.ino and pin utilisation

Status
Not open for further replies.

mummyboy

From Rainbow.ino:

" Required Connections
--------------------
pin 2: LED Strip #1 OctoWS2811 drives 8 LED Strips.
pin 14: LED strip #2 All 8 are the same length.
pin 7: LED strip #3
pin 8: LED strip #4 A 100 ohm resistor should used
pin 6: LED strip #5 between each Teensy pin and the
pin 20: LED strip #6 wire to the LED strip, to minimize
pin 21: LED strip #7 high frequency ringining & noise.
pin 5: LED strip #8
pin 15 & 16 - Connect together, but do not use
pin 4 - Do not use
pin 3 - Do not use as PWM. Normal use is ok.
pin 1 - Output indicating CPU usage, monitor with an oscilloscope,
logic analyzer or even an LED (brighter = CPU busier) "
*/

I'm confused by the use of the word 'required' and wonder if 'reserved' is a better alternative. Are *all* these pins reserved as part of the Teensy/Octo hardware combination or is their reservation also a function of the implementation in Rainbow.ino? The Octo board seems to allow connects to pin 1 (but which is used in Rainbow).

Also, to run this code correctly am I to bridge pins 15 and 16 or is this already handled?

Lastly, do i need to add 100 Ohm resistors as noted or are these already included in the Octo implementation

mb

If you are using the OctoWS2811 adapter board from PJRC the 100 Ohm resistors are already on that board.
I cannot coment on what is used and how it's used the rainbow.ino but in general the LED strip pins are "reserved" rather than required.
You can choose to use use only one of these pins for a single LED strip, but you cannot use the other "reserved" pins for anything else.
I'd assume that pin 15 & 16 are already connected together on the OctoWS2811 adapter board but that would be easy enough to check ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back