Wiz820io/Teensy3.1/PJRC Ethernet-SD shield basics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sheepdog

Hmmm.

In hopes that enough of my sanity remains, I will try to save the next person the day I've had.

If you can run the basic WebServer demo app, then you don't need this.

===
I was working with...

Software...
Win7
Teenyduino 1.20
Arduino 1.0.6

Hardware...
Teensy 3.1
Wiz820io
Shield for Ethernet and SD card from PJRC

... and had a "fraught" day! The example would not compile.

------------------------------------------------------
I THINK the following are critical, perhaps not obvious...

Install, or update to, Arduino 1.0.6
THEN install Teenyduino, being sure that the Arduino environment is not running, and that you started the install with a right-click and elected to "run as administrator".

Be advised: I THINK that doing that alters some of the standard Arduino library files. (If someone knows, I'd welcome confirmation.)

THEN start up the Arduino environment, load the WebServer example from the Ethernet examples.
Compile it.
Transfer the result to your Teensy/Wiz820io

---
I THINK, in the environment discussed above, the 5100.h, 5100.cpp files are not needed, and may een be unhelpful. (Confirmation of that would be welcome, too.)

===
Having written all that, I can't quite see where I was going wrong at the beginning of the day. At one point, I stopped both the Teensyduino software and the Arduino environment, and re-installe the Teensyduino.

(I used the same setup file as before. Both that and Arduino software downloaded since 9 Nov 14... on the 11th, I think.)

If you rename a .h or .cpp file to "hide" it, be sure to use, say, w5100_old.h, not w5100-old.h. The latter caused no end of confusion.

===
Once you get the code to compile, you are not done...

As ever with setting up a web server, you have to assign a suitable local IP address to the device. The simple (only?) way is to use the provision in the code...

byte ip[] = {192,168,...

===
(If you haven't set up a server before, there is "fun" ahead of you, but that's not really what this post is about. It is just trying to help you get as far as having the standard WebServer example compile.)

I am delighted to say that I now have my Teensy online. Some of what the webpage tells you at the moment isn't true, as I haven't yet hooked up the LED, etc, the webpage claims to act upon... but the RevolverMap is my reward for spending the day thus... my previous Arduserver couldn't manage such a "big" page, and the RevolverMap code was remmed out until this evening.

mon7nc.dyndns.org:81

===
===
Finally... to help seach engines: SPI_SETTINGS not declared featured in my compile errors for a long time. Not quite sure why the problem went away, as I said.

Hope the above helps someone!

Be advised: I THINK that doing that alters some of the standard Arduino library files. (If someone knows, I'd welcome confirmation.)

Yes, the Teensyduino installer modifies the Ethernet and SD libraries, and a lot of other stuff in Arduino.

The stock files shipped with Arduino 1.0.6 do not support the WIZ820io, nor Teensy 3.1. They also lack SPI transactions, which protect you from problems when other libraries use SPI with interrupts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back