Can not verify/upload code to Teensy 3.1 on Mac OS 10.6.8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cree

Hello,

I got my first Teensy today, and I am having trouble doing anything with it at all.
I installed the Arduino IDE 10.0.6 and Teensyduino 1.20.
When I try to upload any of the example sketches that came with Teensyduino i get an error message like this:

first there is an orange box telling me "Cannot run programm "...somepath...":error=86, Bad CPU type in executable",
and then this:

Arduino: 1.0.6 + Td: 1.20 (Mac OS X), Board: "Teensy 3.1"
/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/tools/arm-none-eabi/bin/arm-none-eabi-g++ -c -g -Os -Wall -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -mcpu=cortex-m4 -DF_CPU=72000000 -MMD -DUSB_VID=null -DUSB_PID=null -DARDUINO=106 -mthumb -nostdlib -D__MK20DX256__ -DTEENSYDUINO=120 -fno-rtti -felide-constructors -std=gnu++0x -DUSB_MIDI -DLAYOUT_GERMAN_MAC -I/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/teensy/cores/teensy3 /var/folders/d2/d25I1QFzEAq0OoRs8LST7k+++TI/-Tmp-/build1603232828775285285.tmp/PWM.cpp -o /var/folders/d2/d25I1QFzEAq0OoRs8LST7k+++TI/-Tmp-/build1603232828775285285.tmp/PWM.cpp.o

I have read that Teensyduino is supposed to work under OS 10.6, in fact, it says so right on the pin reference card that came with the Teensy!
I have an older MacBook from 2007, there is no OS update for this thing available.

I am stumped - what can I do?

Thank you so much for the help!

Christian

I've tested on a 2008 Mac Pro running 10.6.8 and it definitely works. That old machine is about to be sold, leaving me with 10.7.5 on a 2011 macbook as my oldest test system.

I have no idea why its giving you that error. According to this page, the 2007 models are supposed to be Intel Core 2 Duo, which I know works.

http://support.apple.com/kb/sp18

Any chance you could post more detailed info about mac? Use "about this mac" from the menu, then the button for more detail. It's been a while since I've used 10.6, but hopefully there's a panel in there with details about the CPU type.

Also, you might try "get info" on Arduino, and look if the info window has an option for running in 32 vs 64 bit mode.

Hi Paul,

I have a german MacBook, but I guess the relevant information is obvious nonetheless:

Modellname: MacBook
Modell-Identifizierung: MacBook1,1
Prozessortyp: Intel Core Duo
Prozessorgeschwindigkeit: 1,83 GHz
Anzahl der Prozessoren: 1
Gesamtzahl der Kerne: 2
L2-Cache: 2 MB
Speicher: 2 GB
Busgeschwindigkeit: 667 MHz
Boot-ROM-Version: MB11.0061.B03
SMC-Version (System): 1.4f12
Seriennummer (System): SystemSerialNumb

I could not find any option for running in 32 vs. 64 bit mode in Arduino.

Oh, it looks like the ARM toolchain is 64 bit. It requires at least a "Core 2 Duo". The toolchain for Teensy 2.0 can run, but not the newer one for Teensy 3.x.

I'm sorry, that mac hardware is simply too old, even though it has a supported version of OS-X.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back