MIDI running status on Teensy

Status
Not open for further replies.

paradajz

I haven't been able to find any details regarding the status of MIDI running status in Teensy MIDI driver - is it enabled or disabled?

In the MIDI 3.2 library I have installed, there's a define in Midi.h:
Code:
#define USE_RUNNING_STATUS		0
I have it turned off, as above, because it seemed to be causing problems. If you need it on, give it a try.

Pete

In the MIDI 3.2 library I have installed, there's a define in Midi.h:
Code:
#define USE_RUNNING_STATUS		0
I have it turned off, as above, because it seemed to be causing problems. If you need it on, give it a try.

Pete

Yes but Teensy uses USB MIDI implementation - Arduino MIDI library is another thing.

I've had a look at the usb_midi code and there does not seem to be anything related to handling running status on send or receive.

Pete

MIDI over USB is required to NOT USE running status.

Sending MIDI over DIN can choose to use or not use running status (and thus, receiving MIDI over DIN has to cope with running status).

MIDI over USB is actually simpler, because the variable length messages are always packed into 4 bytes. Long sysex messages are also packed into groups of 4 byte messages. There's so much bandwidth available that the USB version is designed to make parsing the data simpler by always grouping things into 4 bytes.

MIDI over USB is actually simpler, because the variable length messages are always packed into 4 bytes. Long sysex messages are also packed into groups of 4 byte messages. There's so much bandwidth available that the USB version is designed to make parsing the data simpler by always grouping things into 4 bytes.

Does the length of my SysEx messages has to multiple of 4?

No, sysex messages can be any length. USB MIDI packs every 3 sysex bytes into those 4 byte messages, where the last can have 1 or 2 extra unused bytes, if your sysex message isn't an exact multiple of 3.

Full details are in this document:

Attachments

• midi10.pdf
    175.8 KB · Views: 135
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back