Pimoroni Skywriter HAT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interaction with the device appears to be through I2C and an arduino library is included in the adafruit distribution. It does not contain any references to Arduino-specific hardware so I'm guessing that it shouldn't be difficult to get it going on a Teensy 3.1. But I haven't got one of those devices and can't try it.

Pete

After looking at the video on the Adafruit site I suspect that the hardware interface is a lot more complicated than the Arduino library would imply. The device is designed to fit on a R-PI and it has a lot of pins!

Pete

http://shop.pimoroni.com/products/skywriter

Judging from this one (which also looks to be larger) my guess is that all those pins are there just because that's the size of the connector that it fits into on the Pi. Looks like about 80% of the pins on the adafruit one probably aren't even used. Looks like it only really needs 6 pins. Trying to figure out which 6 pins are actually in use, and what they do, on the Hat version might be annoying, though.

I'd also be curious if it'd be possible to... 'roll your own.' It'd be a bunch of trig, I'd expect, but it shouldn't be TOO hard to just wire up four capacitive sensors from Teensy directly, and use those to map a 3d position. Wouldn't be multi-touch, of course, but I don't think the Pimoroni one is either.

Last edited:
I have one on order, I'll let you guys know how far I get. I got a RasPi A+ as backup...

Thanks,

DougM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back