Newbie to bit level coding '_delay_ms' was not declared in this scope

Status
Not open for further replies.

labRat

Hi Everyone,

Newbie to learning bit level coding here. I am using the Arduino IDE to code.

I was able to get blinky to work with my Teensy 2.0 using the code specified below. I can't even begin to describe how thrilled I was when I was able to get this code to work!!!

Now I am trying to accomplish the equivalent with my Teensy 3.1, and the onboard LED is now on bit 5 of Port C so I changed my code (as specified below the Teensy 2.0 code), and I get the error " '_delay_ms' was not declared in this scope" so I suspect that the header file that I am specifying is not recognizing the _delay_ms(); function.

Can anyone please help? As a means of troubleshooting directory issues, I saved the file in the Arduino installation folder (i.e. C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino) but I really don't want to get into the habit of this. Also, the resulting compilation in the Arduino IDE left a C file instead, and the setup() function is no longer there but the DDRD |= (1 << 6); is but just as a global variable, but the loop() function is still there.

Thank you : ) labRat

Teensy 2.0 code:

#include <avr/io.h>
#include <avr/pgmspace.h>
#include <util/delay.h>
#include "print.h"

void setup(){
DDRD |= (1 << 6);
}

void loop() {

PORTD = 0b01000000;//Atmega chip on board has 8-bit registers
_delay_ms(1000);
PORTD = 0b00000000;//Atmega chip on board has 8-bit registers
_delay_ms(100);
}

Teensy 3.1 code:
#include <avr/io.h>
#include <avr/pgmspace.h>
#include <delay.h>
#include "print.h"

void setup(){
DDRC |= (1 << 5);
}

void loop() {

PORTC = 0b00100000;//
_delay_ms(100);
PORTC = 0b00100000;
_delay_ms(100);

}

I was able to get it running by referring to a thread that Paul had responded to https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/23431-Teensy-3-using-IO-pins?highlight=Teensy+3.1+port+access.

All I had to do was to change PORTC reference to PORTB. And change the _delay to just plain old delay(). The code is below:

void setup(){
DDRB |= (1 << 5);
}

void loop() {

PORTB = 0b00100000;//ON
delay(1000);
PORTB = 0b00000000;//OFF
delay(500);

//
// PORTD = 0b01000000;//Atmega chip on board has 8-bit registers
// _delay_ms(100);
// PORTD = 0b00000000;//Atmega chip on board has 8-bit registers