Teensy 3.1 external power, diode direction

Status
Not open for further replies.

AeroX2

Hello,

I recently ordered a Teensy 3.1, 2 1N5817 Diodes and a 3.7V lipo battery.
According to this page, https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/external_power.html
You can have the USB power the Teensy when the USB is connected and have the battery take over when there is no USB,
by soldering 2 pads together with a diode.
The picture on the page shows how to wire up a Teensy 2 with the diode but not a Teensy 3.x

So my question is, which way do I wire up the diode on the pads on my Teensy 3.1,
in order to have the battery take over when the USB is disconnected.
A picture would help greatly, as I have had a look at the schematics and I don't know which pad is which.

Thanks

First, Cut the two pads apart on the bottom side of the Teensy 3.1 board:
td_libs_OctoWS2811_12.gif

Then connect the lipo:
input2.PNG

and as schematic

input3.PNG
The red line is where you have to cut the pads apart.

Last edited:
Huh, interesting way to connect it.
Thanks for the help.

One more thing
Do I need to mark this as solved or something

For the VUSB to VIN diode, one can solder a (smd) diode on the bottom side of the Teensy.

8649081112_74ac249d49_b.jpg

Picture shows a Teensy 3.0 but it's the same with the 3.1

Do I need to mark this as solved or something
no

Hello all, for custom projects, would it be ok to use the 1A diodes already present in the schematic to have usb and battery powerconnected in a similar way like the diode connection you are showing in the posts?

Yes you can do that. One anode connects to VUSB, the second anode connects to VIN and the cathode goes to VREGIN (pad 8/MK20DX256).

Last edited:
is there a trace that can be cut that connects the two diodes anode to separate one anode to vusb and the other to vin?

Indeed it would have been handy if the trace to cut was moved to the wire between the diodes anode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back