Newbie needs help with teensy toolchain in Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wray

I am running Ubuntu 14.04.1
I have Arduino loaded, but the Teensy doesn't appear in the board list
My Teensy 3.X appears to be functional, i.e., the light is blinking.
The USB cable is good - it works with my camera.

Need help figuring out why Arduino cannot "see" Teensy via USB

One thing to note is depending on the distribution, the Arduino release provided by the distribution may be too far out of date or it may contain distribution specific patches that might be incompatible with the Teensy layer.

It is generally a good idea not to use the distribution Arduino package that you get with apt-get, yum, dnf, etc. Instead, go to https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Software and download the official Linux distribution for Arduino that Teensy is compatible with (currently 1.6.5). Generally, these days, you want the 64-bit version, as some distributions no longer ship many/all of the 32-bit libraries (*). As the directions specify in the pjrc.com link, you need to change the executable status of the software you download, before you can update the Arduino files to include Teensy support.

I tend to create a new directory to hold each revision of the Teensy software, and install new Arduino software in it. This way, I can easily fall back to a previous version if there are problems. This is more of a belt & suspenders approach to new software, as I don't recall ever going back to a previous full release (once or twice during the beta cycle, something doesn't work right, and I might fall back to the previous full release).

(*) Unless of course you are using a 32-bit only distribution.

Last edited:
Use lsusb to check what USB devices you system sees. If the Teensy is there then its recognized by your system.
Try pressing the onboard programming button, check with lsusb what your system says.
Make sure your udev rules are setup to give non root access to the Teensy USB, I would try !! NOT RECOMMENDED, BUT OF COURSE I WOULD TEST !! to run Arduino/Teensy duino with sudo to see if that helps.

I don't think i have teensyduino installed at all.
Nor am I clear on exactly how to do that
CLI command?

I may inded have a down rev. Arduino. I got it from
the Ubuntu repository. I loaded it from there because i wasn having a lot of luck with
any of the recommended sources

How can i find which rev I have installed ?

Again, many thanks to the several responders. Please understand that
I'm trying as best i can to follow any and all instructions. It is, perhaps, not so much
that I am so stupid, but rather my state of abysmal ignorance.
I will get this done, I just do not want to have to resort to 1970 technology
i.e., capacitors, resistors, multivibrators, counters, etc. I feel dumb enough as it is
I don't need that particular beatdown at this point

I find a revisions.txt in my ARDUINO directory that has this pasted in:: ARDUINO 1.6.5-r2 - 2015.06.17

Once you can get the IDE running you should also see the general build number in the title bar and if like my Windows installs the Help / About will have a splash screen - that will also show the version of Teensyduino installed - once the linked Teensy download is installed, and then adjusted for Linux as noted to give it hardware permission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back