PDA

View Full Version : Teensyduino 1.25 Beta #1 Available

Paul
08-27-2015, 10:14 PM
Here is a first^H^H^H^H^H second beta test for Teensyduino 1.25:

Edit: old beta test linkes removed. Full non-beta release is here:
http://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_download.html

These links have been updated to "1.25-beta2".

Arduino 1.6.5-r4 appeared on Arduino's download page for less than 24 hours. Due to a serious bug, it was replaced by 1.6.5-r5. "1.25-beta2" is an update to support 1.6.5-r5.

PaulStoffregen
08-27-2015, 10:50 PM
Here are the changes since version 1.24:

Add support for Arduino 1.6.5-r4

Drop support for Arduino 1.6.4

Update Adafruit_GFX, FastLED, ILI9341_t3 (added fonts)

Audio lib: play from SerialFlash, ext mem delay, bitchusher (thanks Pensive)

Floating point constants are now single precision on Teensy LC, 3.0, 3.1

SD root dir bug and other minor fixes

SD Teensy3 optimized (not enabled by default) has improved caching

Servo library easier to edit for more than 16 motors

Remove dedicated AVR toolchain (was only needed for Arduino 1.6.2)

Avoid interfering with new Arduino 1.6.5 color scheme

Serial flow control functions (C only for now)

XPlaneRefs with names >58 chars (thanks jbliesener)

USB MIDI Time code (thanks Karg)

Installer detects Windows 10, skips driver install

Installer looks in more places on Windows to auto-find Arduino

fretless_kb
08-28-2015, 02:56 AM
Here are the changes since version 1.24:

Add support for Arduino 1.5.6-r4

was this a typo? did you mean 1.6.5-r4?
Kb

PaulStoffregen
08-28-2015, 04:08 AM
Yup, a typo. Fixed.

PaulStoffregen
08-28-2015, 04:21 AM
If you run this on Windows 10, please let me know if it detects the Windows 10 built-in serial driver.

Right after the intro, you're supposed to see this:

defragster
08-28-2015, 06:28 AM
That's what I saw.
I also saw a ton of spurious places in the default view to install the beta - none of which were my drive I: where I made a small disk to hold Arduino - so I still had to do all drives.

defragster
08-28-2015, 06:53 AM
This will leave the prior installed driver - any benefit to removing it?

I have connected both a T_31 and an LC: compiled & uploaded with Win 10 fine to both using button and TYQT

Must Teensy app always 'activate' itself when the IDE compiles? I never need to see it and it makes a show of itself on the taskbar - and brings out the auto-hide taskbar.

PaulStoffregen
08-28-2015, 10:04 AM
This will leave the prior installed driver - any benefit to removing it?

Probably doesn't matter, but of course you can remove the Teensy INF (https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/29472-How-to-delete-the-Teensy-USB-Serial-driver-from-Windows-10).

Must Teensy app always 'activate' itself when the IDE compiles

With Arduino 1.0.6, this behavior is baked into the Java code. You can't change it, or at least not without going to a lot of trouble to recompile the entire Arduino IDE.

With Arduino 1.6.x, you can edit platform.txt. Just change or remove the stuff about "teensy_post_compile" and "teensy_reboot".

PaulStoffregen
08-28-2015, 10:12 AM
none of which were my drive I: where I made a small disk to hold Arduino - so I still had to do all drives.

Currently it's looking in these places, with "Arduino" and every supported version number appended to "arduino-".

CSIDL_PROGRAM_FILESX86
CSIDL_PROGRAM_FILES
"Downloads" relative to CSIDL_PERSONAL (if there's a CSIDL for Downloads, it's not defined in my mingw toolchain)
CSIDL_DESKTOPDIRECTORY
CSIDL_PERSONAL
C:/

Eventually I'm going to add registry scanning to locate the prefs file, and lots of code for parsing it. Since Arduino 1.6.0, there's a couple lines of code that log installed pathnames to the prefs file. That's probably the only hope of ever automatically discovering special install locations.

PaulStoffregen
08-28-2015, 10:24 AM
Well, looks like they've replaced 1.6.5 "r4" with "r5", after only about 20-some hours!

Paul
08-28-2015, 03:38 PM
I've changed the links to 1.25-beta2, which updates the installers with support for Arduino 1.6.5-r5.

Support for the buggy "r4" version was dropped. If you downloaded 1.6.5-r4 from Arduino's website, I recommend deleting it.

KurtE
08-28-2015, 04:07 PM
I just tried installing the second version onto a new install or 1.6.5-r5 (windows 10 64 bit), in default windows location. The Arduino installer replaced ...r2, by uninstalling it and then installing the r5... I then ran the Teensyduino installer with Administrative ...

Received this error:

Kurt

KurtE
08-28-2015, 04:15 PM
Quick update: I redid this again. This time I went into Windows settings and first had it remove Arduino install. Then I reran the Arduino installer, and then reran the Teensyduino installer and this time it worked?

defragster
08-28-2015, 04:54 PM
KurtE - Settings or Task Manager and killed a process? I was about to suggest the installer may be active holding the file even with the IDE closed.

KurtE - why are you using their installer? I gave up on that for the ZIP extract that works without other side effects - trusting their installer seems to have more issues that bugged me before. Their registry attachments and other 'setup' side effects caused grief with multiple active installs and other - the zip extract allows good function across multiple active IDE installs.

Paul - I could post a pic of the multiple false hits in my list - I have no Arduino installed in the list provided.

In case it helps - I searched my registry and these keys point to where I run Teensy & The IDE from:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\S haredAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRule s]

"UDP Query User{D9693B82-189A-4F5D-9648-FB531CB76696}I:\\teensy165\\java\\bin\\javaw.exe"="v2.10|Action=Allow|Active=TRUE|Dir=In|Protocol=17| Profile=Private|App=I:\\teensy165\\java\\bin\\java w.exe|Name=Java(TM) Platform SE binary|Desc=Java(TM) Platform SE binary|Defer=User|"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Compatibility Assistant\Store]

"I:\\Teensy163\\arduino.exe"=hex:53,41,43,50,01,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,07,00,00, \
00,28,00,00,00,00,1e,06,00,3f,99,06,00,01,00,00,00 ,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,0a,\
71,20,00,00,02,61,32,9f,ff,ba,d0,01,00,00,00,00,00 ,00,00,00,02,00,00,00,28,\
00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00 ,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,\
00,00,fe,56,16,00,00,00,00,00,02,00,00,00,02,00,00 ,00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\MuiCache]

"I:\\Teensy165\\hardware\\tools\\teensy.exe.Friendl yAppName"="teensy.exe"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\Firewall Rules]

"UDP Query User{D9693B82-189A-4F5D-9648-FB531CB76696}I:\\teensy165\\java\\bin\\javaw.exe"="v2.10|Action=Allow|Active=TRUE|Dir=In|Protocol=17| Profile=Private|App=I:\\teensy165\\java\\bin\\java w.exe|Name=Java(TM) Platform SE binary|Desc=Java(TM) Platform SE binary|Defer=User|"

stevech was right again : https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/29472-How-to-delete-the-Teensy-USB-Serial-driver-from-Windows-10?p=80778&viewfull=1#post80778

With Arduino 1.6.x, you can edit platform.txt.
I want the loader to be opened - but if already open I was hoping to have it idly ignore and re-activation that, of course 'Verify' now not doing that 'Taskbar highlighting'.

KurtE
08-28-2015, 05:18 PM
KurtE - Settings or Task Manager and killed a process? I was about to suggest the installer may be active holding the file even with the IDE closed.

KurtE - why are you using their installer? I gave up on that for the ZIP extract that works without other side effects - trusting their installer seems to have more issues that bugged me before. Their registry attachments and other 'setup' side effects caused grief with multiple active installs and other - the zip extract allows good function across multiple active IDE installs.

Their installer should have already exited. At least it no longer showed up in the taskbar.

Actually I do both ways. That is often I like the main one I am using to be setup the default way... Then if I am testing out something new I use the Zip method...

Why I use their installer, is well that is what the 99% of users probably do, so would be good to test out that approach... Personally I am hoping to be rid of having many different installs. Earlier I had the Arduino 1.0.6 as that was the last thing Trossen (Arbotix) was setup for. Also had 1.5.x and now 1.6.x, plus Intel Edison install. Not to mention the other installs for the Pic32 boards that was playing with...

defragster
08-28-2015, 05:30 PM
A process can get orphaned - even MSFT Outlook or IE - waiting for an event on a background task it seems even when the app is no longer a program, not surprising they might have spawned something that they didn't tend to.

I've seen nothing but trouble myself - or in threads here - from their installer, so I banished it and recommend the same as it seemed to be the generally repeated jist I got.

They do registry keys that I saw affect IDE behavior in non-apparent ways and that may work on single installs - but was a recurring trouble with moving 1.6.x beta swarm.

tenkai
08-29-2015, 12:07 AM
Just for clarity, when I want to use the SD_t3 library, all I do is uncomment #define USE_TEENSY3_OPTIMIZED_CODE correct?

When I try to include <SD_t3.h> my program will freeze when trying to open a write handle.

PaulStoffregen
08-29-2015, 12:11 AM
Yes, all you have to do is uncomment USE_TEENSY3_OPTIMIZED_CODE.

Currently it only supports reading the card. There's absolutely not write support (yet).

tenkai
08-29-2015, 12:14 AM
When you say there is not write support yet, do you mean that write is not optimized, and I should avoid using SD_t3 when writing at all?

Or do you mean that writing is not optimized, but reading is when using SD_t3? (for now of course)

PaulStoffregen
08-29-2015, 12:33 AM
It means you lose all ability to write to the card when USE_TEENSY3_OPTIMIZED_CODE is uncommented.

deelaleo
09-08-2015, 04:00 PM
Not sure if it is a new behavior of the application or some W10 problem, but the Teensy won't reboot spontaneously when I upload.
The loader appear and say to push the reset button, which I remember I never had to do. but pushing the button has no effect whatsoever, and the IDE fail to upload (it print out a message saying that you have to reboot manually the board).

Then I figured out that when you upload; you have to wait for the windows notification that the device has been disconnected (the com port will disappear from device manager); then you press and hold reset on the Teensy for a second or 2 and release, and it wll reboot with the uploaded code on it. So far I don't remember to see any of this in the past; it would just do anything on its own (and the auto option is selected on the Teensy loader).

I am using a Teensy 3.1 with 2.6 Arduino IDE and the version of Teensyduino from this page. Had no problem during install.

defragster
09-08-2015, 06:30 PM
With W10 - there is something odd going on with the IDE - I noted it before.

I just started the IDE and my first compile with upload worked - opening IDE SerMon

Subsequent VERIFY build with button failed. First a second open of the SerMon worked - then the Com port got LOST .

No seeing "USB device not recognized" (last plugged usb to 'this computer malfunctioned ... windows does not recognize it') from W10. Moved to different USB port and same result. builtinLED coming on and this sketch has run well before with only a usb output ID character change so I know it recompiled/loaded.

The IDE still see's the COM25 - but 'error opening...'

In DevMan I see two devices in this state: "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)

A request for the USB device descriptor failed."

Removing them with 'ininstall' then repowereing gives no joy, it goes back to that state. Swapping the T_3.1 for an LC now causes the same and I was running same code on both for days last week.

TeensyDuino not showing it ever gets to see a device. Closing the IDE and TeensyDuino have no effect (except BOTH err devices leave with one uninstall)- uninstalled devices come back in error.

>ARDUINO 1.6.5-r2 - 2015.06.17

<edit> Update: I left for a bit - on return saw I had a DigiSpark Pro on USB - but last upload didn't leave it happy: unplugged that and All seems fine with T_3.1 now

#2: plugged in the ill running Pro and it gave the error again - so it seems to enumerate or stick on failed devices? it is coming from the same external hub, moved to separate USB port and I don't see this even with the PRO still attached.

Frank B
09-09-2015, 08:52 PM
With "external Editor" enabled in Arduino:
when compiling, I often get errors like this:

ava.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException: len=-2934
at sun.font.FontDesignMetrics.charsWidth(FontDesignMe trics.java:501)
at org.fife.ui.rsyntaxtextarea.TokenImpl.getWidthUpTo (TokenImpl.java:528)
at org.fife.ui.rsyntaxtextarea.TokenImpl.getWidth(Tok enImpl.java:499)
at org.fife.ui.rsyntaxtextarea.RSyntaxUtilities.getTo kenListWidth(RSyntaxUtilities.java:1142)
at org.fife.ui.rsyntaxtextarea.RSyntaxUtilities.getTo kenListWidth(RSyntaxUtilities.java:1121)
at org.fife.ui.rsyntaxtextarea.SyntaxView.getLineWidt h(SyntaxView.java:304)
at org.fife.ui.rsyntaxtextarea.SyntaxView.calculateLo ngestLine(SyntaxView.java:110)
at org.fife.ui.rsyntaxtextarea.SyntaxView.updateMetri cs(SyntaxView.java:892)
at org.fife.ui.rsyntaxtextarea.SyntaxView.setSize(Syn taxView.java:802)
at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicTextUI$RootView.setSiz e(BasicTextUI.java:1722)
at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicTextUI.getPreferredSiz e(BasicTextUI.java:912)
at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicTextAreaUI.getPreferre dSize(BasicTextAreaUI.java:120)
at javax.swing.JComponent.getPreferredSize(JComponent .java:1662)
at javax.swing.JTextArea.getPreferredSize(JTextArea.j ava:619)
at javax.swing.JViewport.getViewSize(JViewport.java:9 99)
at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicScrollPaneUI.syncScrol lPaneWithViewport(BasicScrollPaneUI.java:278)
at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicScrollPaneUI$Handler.s tateChanged(BasicScrollPaneUI.java:1033)
at javax.swing.JViewport.fireStateChanged(JViewport.j ava:1369)
at javax.swing.JViewport.setView(JViewport.java:969)
at javax.swing.JScrollPane.setViewportView(JScrollPan e.java:1007)
at org.fife.ui.rtextarea.RTextScrollPane.setViewportV iew(RTextScrollPane.java:253)
at processing.app.Editor.setCode(Editor.java:1775)
at processing.app.Sketch.setCurrentCode(Sketch.java:1 000)
at processing.app.Sketch.load(Sketch.java:121)
at processing.app.Sketch.prepare(Sketch.java:1071)
at processing.app.Editor$BuildHandler.run(Editor.java :1963)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)
len=-2934

or this:

Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.NullPointerException
at org.fife.ui.rsyntaxtextarea.DefaultTokenPainter.pa intImpl(DefaultTokenPainter.java:106)
at org.fife.ui.rsyntaxtextarea.DefaultTokenPainter.pa int(DefaultTokenPainter.java:58)
at org.fife.ui.rsyntaxtextarea.SyntaxView.drawLine(Sy ntaxView.java:178)
at org.fife.ui.rsyntaxtextarea.SyntaxView.paint(Synta xView.java:722)
at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicTextUI$RootView.paint( BasicTextUI.java:1434)
at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicTextUI.paintSafely(Bas icTextUI.java:737)
at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicTextUI.paint(BasicText UI.java:881)
at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicTextUI.update(BasicTex tUI.java:860)
at org.fife.ui.rtextarea.RTextAreaBase.paintComponent (RTextAreaBase.java:719)
at org.fife.ui.rsyntaxtextarea.RSyntaxTextArea.paintC omponent(RSyntaxTextArea.java:1993)
at javax.swing.JComponent.paint(JComponent.java:1056)
at javax.swing.JComponent.paintToOffscreen(JComponent .java:5219)
at javax.swing.RepaintManager$PaintManager.paintDoubl eBuffered(RepaintManager.java:1572)
at javax.swing.RepaintManager$PaintManager.paint(Repa intManager.java:1495)
at javax.swing.RepaintManager.paint(RepaintManager.ja va:1265)
at javax.swing.JComponent._paintImmediately(JComponen t.java:5167)
at javax.swing.JComponent.paintImmediately(JComponent .java:4978)
at javax.swing.RepaintManager$4.run(RepaintManager.ja va:824)
at javax.swing.RepaintManager$4.run(RepaintManager.ja va:807)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.security.ProtectionDomain$1.doIntersectionPri vilege(ProtectionDomain.java:75)
at javax.swing.RepaintManager.paintDirtyRegions(Repai ntManager.java:807)
at javax.swing.RepaintManager.paintDirtyRegions(Repai ntManager.java:782)
at javax.swing.RepaintManager.prePaintDirtyRegions(Re paintManager.java:731)
at javax.swing.RepaintManager.access$1300(RepaintMana ger.java:64)
at javax.swing.RepaintManager$ProcessingRunnable.run( RepaintManager.java:1720)
at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Invocation Event.java:311)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(EventQueue.j ava:756)
at java.awt.EventQueue.access$500(EventQueue.java:97)
at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(EventQueue.java:709)
at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(EventQueue.java:703)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.security.ProtectionDomain$1.doIntersectionPri vilege(ProtectionDomain.java:75)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java: 726)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilter s(EventDispatchThread.java:201)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(E ventDispatchThread.java:116)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarch y(EventDispatchThread.java:105)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispa tchThread.java:101)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispa tchThread.java:93)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThre ad.java:82)

or this:

java.lang.NullPointerException
at org.fife.ui.rsyntaxtextarea.TokenMakerBase.addToke n(TokenMakerBase.java:134)
at processing.app.syntax.SketchTokenMaker.addToken(Sk etchTokenMaker.java:62)
at org.fife.ui.rsyntaxtextarea.TokenMakerBase.addToke n(TokenMakerBase.java:108)
at org.fife.ui.rsyntaxtextarea.modes.CPlusPlusTokenMa ker.addToken(CPlusPlusTokenMaker.java:1855)
at org.fife.ui.rsyntaxtextarea.modes.CPlusPlusTokenMa ker.addToken(CPlusPlusTokenMaker.java:1839)
at org.fife.ui.rsyntaxtextarea.modes.CPlusPlusTokenMa ker.addToken(CPlusPlusTokenMaker.java:1828)
at org.fife.ui.rsyntaxtextarea.modes.CPlusPlusTokenMa ker.yylex(CPlusPlusTokenMaker.java:2223)
at org.fife.ui.rsyntaxtextarea.modes.CPlusPlusTokenMa ker.getTokenList(CPlusPlusTokenMaker.java:1901)
at org.fife.ui.rsyntaxtextarea.RSyntaxDocument.getTok enListForLine(RSyntaxDocument.java:416)
at org.fife.ui.rsyntaxtextarea.SyntaxView.getLineWidt h(SyntaxView.java:302)
at org.fife.ui.rsyntaxtextarea.SyntaxView.calculateLo ngestLine(SyntaxView.java:110)
at org.fife.ui.rsyntaxtextarea.SyntaxView.updateMetri cs(SyntaxView.java:892)
at org.fife.ui.rsyntaxtextarea.SyntaxView.setSize(Syn taxView.java:802)
at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicTextUI$RootView.setSiz e(BasicTextUI.java:1722)
at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicTextUI.getPreferredSiz e(BasicTextUI.java:912)
at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicTextAreaUI.getPreferre dSize(BasicTextAreaUI.java:120)
at javax.swing.JComponent.getPreferredSize(JComponent .java:1662)
at javax.swing.JTextArea.getPreferredSize(JTextArea.j ava:619)
at javax.swing.JViewport.getViewSize(JViewport.java:9 99)
at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicScrollPaneUI.syncScrol lPaneWithViewport(BasicScrollPaneUI.java:278)
at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicScrollPaneUI$Handler.s tateChanged(BasicScrollPaneUI.java:1033)
at javax.swing.JViewport.fireStateChanged(JViewport.j ava:1369)
at javax.swing.JViewport.setView(JViewport.java:969)
at javax.swing.JScrollPane.setViewportView(JScrollPan e.java:1007)
at org.fife.ui.rtextarea.RTextScrollPane.setViewportV iew(RTextScrollPane.java:253)
at processing.app.Editor.setCode(Editor.java:1775)
at processing.app.Sketch.setCurrentCode(Sketch.java:1 000)
at processing.app.Sketch.load(Sketch.java:121)
at processing.app.Sketch.prepare(Sketch.java:1071)
at processing.app.Editor$BuildHandler.run(Editor.java :1963)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

perhaps a strange multithreading error... the stacktrace is never the same

PaulStoffregen
09-09-2015, 09:23 PM
Yup, it's a bug added in Arduino 1.6.5 (https://github.com/arduino/Arduino/issues/3475). So far there's no solution. I spent a day looking into this, but it's deep within the new editor code.... far beyond the amount of work I was willing to do. Sadly, I suspect the Arduino Team will have a very hard time to fix this too.

Do not use 1.6.4. This bug (https://github.com/arduino/Arduino/issues/3115) is really annoying! Teensyduino 1.25 is dropping support for 1.6.4, due to that bug!

When using external editor, your best option is Arduino 1.6.3. That's the version I use when developing code.

PaulStoffregen
09-09-2015, 09:26 PM
But do post a "me too" reply on issue 3475 (https://github.com/arduino/Arduino/issues/3475). Maybe that'll help the Arduino folks prioritize fixing it?

Frank B
09-09-2015, 09:41 PM
done :-)
<fillscharstohaveminimummessagelength>

Dylan144GT
09-10-2015, 08:59 AM
Hi Paul,

Does 1.24 support 1.6.5-r5?

Thanks,

Dylan

PaulStoffregen
09-10-2015, 09:44 AM
No. 1.24 can't possibly support 1.6.5-r5.

1.24 was released in June.

1.6.5-r5 (the "-r5" change) was released only 12 days ago.

Dylan144GT
09-10-2015, 09:47 AM
Cool, thanks Paul. Didn't think so, just wanted to confirm.

Thanks for the great work, keep it up!

defragster
09-12-2015, 04:25 AM
(re post #22) (https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/29508-Teensyduino-1-25-Beta-1-Available?p=81352&viewfull=1#post81352) Updated my Win10 to 1.6.5r5 with 1,25b2.

Two devices on USB - T3_1 and an LC. This time the LC was seen as the Problem Device ! ?

Not sure how it got that way - I recompiled and then it got programmed with the new code. This was after an overnight shutdown.

The only prior odd thing was when Teensy Loader saw T3_1 upload it tried to put into the LC - before the shutdown - I had to yank the LC because even closing TeensyLoader would have it wake on Verify and freeze over wrong binary (LC left in PROG mode even on verify causes load attempt?). Not sure how it better handing would work - but once it goes into this mode - it doesn't have a graceful way to exit - as the wrong device prepped to load. Can the TLoader offer to WAIT or Reboot to prior code the affected device?

ricardojlrufino
09-12-2015, 11:59 PM
On Linux, the installer that is opening is the one below, that's right?

ricardojlrufino
09-13-2015, 12:12 AM
INGORE !!!
Something strange on my linux ...
Running from the command line works correctly

pawelsky
09-20-2015, 11:26 PM
Since Teensy 3.2 is now available I believe it needs to be added to boards list.

PaulStoffregen
09-21-2015, 03:36 AM
Yes, I prepared a 1.25 final release, with the name in the Tools > Boards menu changed to "Teensy 3.2 / 3.1".

I ran out of time on Friday for final testing before a weekend trip. Just returning now, and lots of messages to answer. Will get this released soon.

Last Friday I considered just releasing without any final testing, since there's very little changed from 1.25-beta2. But ultimately I decided to go through at least some re-testing of stuff, just in case.

defragster
09-21-2015, 06:13 AM
Running the 1.25b2 on my Win 10 box with 1.6.5r5, TeensyDuino has shown me this "device still online" more than a few times with Dual T_3.1's chatting at 6Mb over dual serial 1>2 and 2>1.

22:51:02: Device came online, code_size = 262144
22:51:02: Board is: Teensy 3.1 (MK20DX256), version 1.03
22:51:02: File "SerialEventDual.cpp.hex". 19120 bytes, 7% used
22:51:02: HID/win32: HidD_GetPreparsedData ok, device still online :-)
22:51:27: Verbose Info event

I've seen other anomalies and dropped notes - nothing conclusive - but something is different for the worse in reliably programming. Minutes ago I shut down TD and it worked - now it isn't working - not even catching all ProgButton presses until pressing on second unit - with action and same 'device still online' when it says anything.

Shutdown TD and hit verify in IDE to re-open - it opens and gives 'Auto Mode Disabled'. It is like the two devices are merged? Both were in ProgMode, but also before was it doing 'prog' on unit "A" then detecting unit "B" still active? Not seeing enough diagnostic spew to say more than that.

Just went to only A or B unit plugged in and that didn't work for either. I did just move to a USB3 hub in a USB2 hub in a USB2 port - but it worked just before this? And going back to USB2 hub - still the same.

Verify puzzling - after opening TYQT again - they printed usb 'start' but failed to run though one may have programmed earlier to 600KB from 6MB - I hit IDE "verify" again - then TD reprogrammed BOTH and they are running fine.

Now seeing this - then bacl to above msg:

23:54:10: Board is: Teensy 3.1 (MK20DX256), version 1.03
23:54:10: File "qBlink2k_sketch_sep19a.cpp.hex". 18848 bytes, 7% used
23:54:11: HID/win32: HidD_GetPreparsedData failed, device assumed disconnected
23:54:11: Device went offline

defragster
09-21-2015, 06:16 AM
TD UI under Win 10? Looks like below - the TITLE bar is shrunken because Win 10 grew the stupid right corner buttons Min/Max/Close. Since TD doesn't resize you can't read anything but "T..." and you can only move the window from that quoted area.

I forget if the Max/Restore middle button ( unused on TD ) can be removed from the app? This is done in effect as it is not resizable but the extra button persists:: 'by setting Window.ResizeMode property to ResizeMode.NoResize. '

pawelsky
09-21-2015, 08:59 AM
Yes, I prepared a 1.25 final release, with the name in the Tools > Boards menu changed to "Teensy 3.2 / 3.1".
Sounds great, thanks.

PaulStoffregen
09-21-2015, 12:49 PM
I forget if the Max/Restore middle button ( unused on TD ) can be removed from the app?

Teensy Loader is built with wxWidgets (http://wxwidgets.org/) version 2.8.

So really, the question is not just whether the middle button can be removed, but whether it's possible to do from the wxWidgets 2.8 API, or a direct WIN32 function that can be used within the wxWidgets environment.

PaulStoffregen
09-21-2015, 02:44 PM
I put version 1.25 on the website. Changes since 1.25-beta2 are mostly cosmetic.

Jake
09-25-2015, 12:27 PM
I have 64 bit Ubuntu 14.04 LTS running Arduino 1.6.5 with Teensyduino 1.24.

I thought I would load the Teensyduino software from this link. This would be only my second time installing it, or the first time updating. I assume that I should be able to install from this link without uninstalling version 1.24.

When I double click on the downloaded teensyduino.64bit a popup menu comes up complaining that there is no application install for "executable files". When I try and execute it from a terminal with the command sudo ./teensyduino.64bit it also complains that the command is not found.

When I try the same with the previous download of version 1.24, both techniques work.

Help appreciated.

PaulStoffregen
09-25-2015, 04:58 PM
Can you run "ldd teensyduino.64bit" in a terminal? Maybe it will give some indication of what's really wrong?

linuxgeek
09-25-2015, 07:52 PM
Maybe it doesn't have permission to be executed?
chmod 755 teensyduino.64bit
and then try again.

Jake
09-25-2015, 10:54 PM
I feel embarrassed, but thanks for the suggestions. chmod 777 teensyduino.64bit worked.
The ldd command just tells me it is not a dynamic executable.

esapode688
10-05-2015, 06:09 PM
Evil Paul

Tried 1.25 published on the website on OSX El Capitain but got this error

Theremingenieur
10-05-2015, 09:03 PM
That's not "evil Paul" but the evil rootless protection feature of OSX 10.11 El Capitan.

Can be modified as described here: https://developer.apple.com/library/prerelease/mac/documentation/Security/Conceptual/System_Integrity_Protection_Guide/ConfiguringSystemIntegrityProtection/ConfiguringSystemIntegrityProtection.html

PaulStoffregen
10-05-2015, 09:59 PM
Wow, that's not overly dramatic at all! ;)

Apple sure does make things difficult to support older macs and their latest. I can't get older macs to sign the installer for new versions, and newer macs can't build applications that run on older macs (at least, not that I can figure out how to do).

I'm sure there'll be plenty of complaints if fixing this suddenly means we can't support anything older than 10.8 or 10.9. But at the moment, I don't see a lot of alternatives....

stevech
10-06-2015, 02:15 AM
Can be modified as described here: http://https://developer.apple.com/library/prerelease/mac/documentation/Security/Conceptual/System_Integrity_Protection_Guide/ConfiguringSystemIntegrityProtection/ConfiguringSystemIntegrityProtection.html

URL doesn't work here - malformed link posted on forum.

Theremingenieur
10-06-2015, 07:37 AM
Link in my above posting fixed. Sorry for the inconvenience.

esapode688
10-06-2015, 09:39 AM
Wow, that's not overly dramatic at all! ;)

Apple sure does make things difficult to support older macs and their latest. I can't get older macs to sign the installer for new versions, and newer macs can't build applications that run on older macs (at least, not that I can figure out how to do).

I'm sure there'll be plenty of complaints if fixing this suddenly means we can't support anything older than 10.8 or 10.9. But at the moment, I don't see a lot of alternatives....

Nice thing: why not releasing then, two teensy add ons of the same version; one supporting newer OS X and one supporting the older ones ?

PaulStoffregen
10-06-2015, 10:17 AM
I do that now for Linux, 2 separate downloads. Releasing 2 files is more work and more long-term maintenance. In theory, it's twice as much testing.... but the reality is I pretty much never do any testing of the 32 bit Linux version. I simply don't have a 32 bit Linux test machine set up.

I'm pretty sure 2 versions targeting new and old OS-X won't avoid the need for testing as 2 Linux versions built with the same tools and targeting the same kernels+desktop can. Two Mac versions probably means I need to buy another Mac for testing, and add quite a lot more work to how to prepare and test the software. If it comes to that, I may have no choice... but I really want to avoid adding another Mac version.

PaulStoffregen
10-18-2015, 09:12 AM
I tested on a Mac with El Capitan and I was able to reproduce the problem.

It's due to a bug in handling endpoint halting, deep in the Teensyduino USB stack. Until El Capitan, none of the operating systems have used this, so the bug went unnoticed all this time.

Well, actually, I noticed it a couple weeks ago by random chance while working on the MTP stuff. I fixed the bug as part of this initial MTP work. Here's the specific fix:

https://github.com/PaulStoffregen/cores/commit/d1a6e77ad949ef45ec79a25f49011ccdb85cd117#diff-7b3a44510f0e4eee93c6b42a56b5b3b5L279

I just tested this with El Capitan. It does solve the problem.

If you'd like to try this now, right click (or control click) on Arduino and choose "Show Package Contents". Then navigate to Contents/Java/hardware/teensy/avr/cores/teensy3. You'll need to replace everything in that folder with the contents of this github repository. Use "Download ZIP" on the right hand side to download the whole thing.

https://github.com/PaulStoffregen/cores

Within the next couple weeks I'm going to put together a first beta for 1.26, which will have this fix.

I'm also going to try to find way to create a Yosemite and El Capitan compatible signatures without losing Snow Leopard and Lion compatibility. Unforunately, that's a *lot* harder than fixing USB bugs! Apple really makes it tough to build compatibly for their older systems, so I'm going to try to set up a build process using two macs....

Theremingenieur
10-18-2015, 10:05 AM
That fix works perfectly, Paul! Thank you very much!

No more need to push the program knob on the teensy every time to upload a new sketch, the loader does its work now as before Capitan. And one can open and close the serial Monitor as often as one wants, the sketch continues running on the Teensy. :-)

Paul
10-22-2015, 05:40 PM
If anyone's still watching this thread and waiting for the El Capitan fixes, the wait is over!

https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/31043-Teensyduino-1-26-Beta-1-Available

For the dire message issue, you still have to run Arduino at least once before installing Teensyduino. Eventually I'll fix that signature issue too, but it's very difficult, so a fix is probably several months out. At least for now, just running Arduino once before running the installer works around the issue.

Please reply on that thread, if you have any feedback on how this works with El Capitan. I'm going to close this old thread.